Indonesia is outlawing Kratom

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
TheNomad
Indonesia is outlawing Kratom

Post by TheNomad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 pm

There's a good change Indonesia is outlawing, instead of just banning kratom.

It's being submitted to their officials for a ban, so I'd say it's likely there will be a ban there. It's not set in stone and I know some folks in Indonesia are working to prevent Kratom from being lumped with new dangerous synthetic drugs

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2013/11/14 ... Drug-Types

witchammer

Re: Indonesia is outlawing Kratom

Post by witchammer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Unbelivable

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:36 pm

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/law ... narcotics/

another previous article. We're still trying to find more info and we're doing a lot of brainstorming here and on the forums to decipher what's happening and what will happen.

Other nations should not be affected by this issue, however since Indo controls the vast marjority (90-95%) of the kratom trade - it may be a situation of more demand than supply. But we'll see. Already kratom is banned in Malay, but they supply by bribing officials. One key difference is that in Malay it's controlled as a poisonous substance with a minor sentence attached to it, while I'd assume if it's listed as a narcotic in Indo it would be strictly prohibitied.

I'm speculating a bit on what may happen in the future, but we already saw the shortage of early '13 and saw everything dry up elsewhere until Bali restarted shipping.

If there's no Indo ban, I hope things will go back to normal or as near to that as possible.

Thailand will also probably be opening up, so that's an upside.

Also if kratom is scarce here, hopefully the headshop vendors will be the first to close! That may prevent more states from banning it too.

FrenchMachine

Post by FrenchMachine » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 am

This is such bullshit. Hopefully they realize how beneficial & lucrative Kratom is out there in Indonesia. Thanks for the updates, Nomad!!

Please keep us up-to-date if you find out anymore info!!

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:41 am

Some have suggested, it's because the smaller newer suppliers were selling locally.

That was the explanation, I heard, from a vendor about the first ban early this year, was that they believed that to be a potential cause.

I've also heard it suggested it may have to do with a UN report or push to ban it. The UN released some documents outlining kratom, along with a few dozen other things or more that were on their radar in that region. I think the periodical focused really on synthetics since the title of the document has that word synthetic, but also mentions Kratom.

Ironic how Thailand would legalize kratom to reduce their meth users and Indo is considering a ban. Hopefully the legislators can do some work researching the topic to make an informed decision and not believe the hype of some news articles here or there. I also blame all the legal highs and research chemicals often sold along side kratom, here and there. Many of those are very dangerous, as you can see in the headlines.

Funny read the big kratom article from Chicago about the 'kratom drug/gov't hits article about how bad kratom was, and they are reviewing hard liquor on the side bar, all casually, saying they didn't like Absolute Chicago version... Ha I'd bet liquor is not safer than leaves. I'd bet it's more that ones more culturally ingrained.

Yes if anyone has any more insight or links, please post them up. If anyone wants to read the UN report links, I can find them and post them or you can find a few by googling united nations mitragyna . These articles are referenced in some of the Indonesia news articles, so could just be a reference used for the article or an actual impetus for the article.

FrenchMachine

Post by FrenchMachine » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 am

LOL yes, Nomad...I also noticed that bullshit Absolute Chicago Vodka article in the side link when I first viewed that awful article and could not help but think of the hypocrisy taking place before my very eyes. Like all the brain-washed. programmed people in this world...they think it is perfectly alright for a horrible, destructive thing like alcohol to be freely available & promoted but they choose to demonize a wonderful, beneficial plant like Kratom because they arent aware of it & dont understand it.

Please post links to those UN articles you mentioned. It would be appreciated!!