Use of Junipers/Cedars/Cypress as Psychedelic Dissociatives

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
mummifiedbat

Use of Junipers/Cedars/Cypress as Psychedelic Dissociatives

Post by mummifiedbat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:23 am

Juniper isn't exactly the most popular modern entheogen, but a little research shows various Junipers have been used as entheogens in many cultures around the world, from Europe to Asia to the Americas. Usually, it seems, it is intentionally burned in a closed off space and inhaled for its visionary effect or used as a kind of cleansing smudge to ward away unwanted spiritual energies. Cedar is similarly used as a cleansing, sacred incense. Most people are familiar with juniper as the flavoring in gin, although it undoubtedly changes the headspace that the alcohol imparts as well.

I came across the effects of juniper by accident. I applied the essential oil of juniperus communis berries transdermally and found it had a rather powerful visionary dissociative effect. The intoxication feels (to me) most similar to ketamine, although it does not remove you from the outside world nearly so completely. I'm not sure it can produce a hole (I have not tried since I don't particularly want to irritate my kidneys), but it can cause ataxia, open and closed eye visuals, euphoria, pain relief, etc. It feels very 'dark' and 'majestic'. The open eye visuals are,to me, like a cross between a mild classical psychedelic and dissociative experience, while the closed eye visuals can be rather profound and intricate. Unlike many synthetic dissociatives, I find that you have a much greater ability 'choose' how engaged with the outside or inside world you want to be. It also does feel very sacred, although in a 'deep and dark and cold' kind of way. I find the effects of cedar EOs to be similar, and since this experience I have experimented with the EOs of various species of juniper and cedar and find them to have similar effects, each with their own character. Cedars, in general, produce much warmer, 'brighter' effects than the junipers, although they are still dissociating. I have also found cypress to do something similar, although I have not experimented too much with it. This makes sense, as they are not too distantly related. My best guess is that the cedrol is producing the main effects, although I'm not really sure, and it does seem rather complex. It seems slightly toxic in very high doses, but not particularly dangerous. (like, I'm not suggesting that anyone goes and tries massive amounts but you're probably more likely to go to the hospital from ketamine/dxm/ether/even alcohol/etc...)

After this, I tried burning a small piece of juniper bark that I collected from the wild and inhaling the smoke. This produced an even deeper psychedelic dissociative experience, without ill effects. The state in produces is very profound and conducive to meditation/ inner visualization, although it is intoxicating. The smoke also feels cleansing. I can imagine it being addictive in a certain context, although it would probably be too irritating to the internal organs to continue prolonged heavy use. The analgesia, while strong, is not as profound as synthetic dissociatives.

I look forward to more (responsible) experiences with these entheogens. I think it really is quite amazing. There are a few accounts of experiences with juniper on this site, but they mostly speak about how it is intoxicating, rather than the visionary experience it can provide. I have trouble finding accounts of it elsewhere on the internet.

Has anyone here intentionally used these plants for their visionary effects (ie, not just intoxication)? What are your experiences?

mummifiedbat

Re: Use of Junipers/Cedars/Cypress as Psychedelic Dissociatives

Post by mummifiedbat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Also, if anyone has a good resource for identifying all the terpenes in these plants, I'd be appreciative. It definitely seems that more than one thing is contributing to the effects.

mummifiedbat

Post by mummifiedbat » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am

Hmmm. I know linalool is an nmda antagonist terpene. I've used other EOs where it is a strong component and gotten dissociative effects, but with juniper and cedar it seems stronger and different. I think that is contributing to the effects, though. It could even be that something else in these plants potentiates and changes the effect of it (linalool). I can only really speculate right now.

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:12 pm

I quickly browsed then and saw a reference to thujone, the active ingredient in absinthe if I recall.

mummifiedbat

Post by mummifiedbat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm

There are so many variations of absinthe with differing psychoactive effects. There are some admixtures with juniper, cedar, and/or cypress I believe. These same psychoactive, spicy ingredients are also sometimes added to other alcoholic beverages of course.I have never tried absinthe, but I've tried most everything that is normally added to it separately It sounds interesting, possibly with synergistic effects.

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:25 pm

I find it reassuring that there are still mysteries like this floating around in the world.

Nanamakutu

Post by Nanamakutu » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 am

aqualung42 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:25 pm
I find it reassuring that there are still mysteries like this floating around in the world.
Likewise. I just wish this board was more active so we had a chance at solving the mysteries 😁

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:14 pm

it has it's moments of higher traffic. Thinking maybe we need to do some stealth raids on reddit and poach some of there subs! :-)