I Stop By Every Day

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
fmrc
I Stop By Every Day

Post by fmrc » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:22 am

Even though things look slow on this board, I still stop by every day to see if there are any mushroom questions. Got a mushroom question? Put it here. Stephen L. Peele, Curator FMRC

ADeeperSilence

Re: I Stop By Every Day

Post by ADeeperSilence » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:02 am

Should I prep my popcorn the same way I prep whole rye berries?
Also, are they good for straight grain blocks?
Thanks.

fmrc

Post by fmrc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 am

Sounds okay to me. I always use Barley for everything. I use the Quaker Brand. Because it is made for human consumption, it is always really clean. Also has other benefits. slp/fmrc

Byrd

Post by Byrd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:13 am

Started the very first batch ever. Sitting at about 30% in jars. When it comes time how do I determine aborts? Are aborts still good to dry and consume?

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 am

i do not care for shrooms, I like cactus, salvia, and weed ;)

Ricardo007

Post by Ricardo007 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:16 am

It is a good day in a day.

Glen@edot

Post by Glen@edot » Fri May 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Still checking every day? If so I had remembered you lived in Homestead, Florida I believe? If so I moved here recently and was wondering if FMRC were open to visits. Maybe I will try looking you up via another method.

MarianneBritt

Post by MarianneBritt » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 am

Got two questions.
1. Do mushrooms have proteins? And what percentage?
2. Keeping my mushrooms in the refrigerator make them poisonous?

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 pm

MarrianneBritt, you should probably start a new thread. It's a good question and others who it might help will find it easier than if it's burried at the end of the a long dead thread.

That said,

1. Yes mush rooms contain protein. The protein percentage will vary depending on the species and whether it is fresh or dry. If my memory serves, black trumpets are almost 50% protein by dry weight. Others are most likely much less.

2. I can't say for certain whether or not refrigeration would make them poisonous, but barring them "going bad" due to regular old food poisoning bacteria, I can't see a means that would make them turn poisonous. Again it'll depend on the species. Look up the species and check for any particular precautions out there. Most edible mushrooms require cooking to make them "safe" to eat. As for the "other" non poisonous ones i've never noticed nor have I heard of any of those going poisonous due to refrigeration.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. I'm not sure where you are getting these mushrooms, but there has been a few cases of people just grabbing mushrooms out of their backyard and eating them. Predictably they have gotten very sick and should have died. I believe one girl required a liver transplant after she mistook an aminita for a psilocybe. Aminita species usually bear names like, "death cap" or "destroying angel". These are very apt names. I've also heard of a unscrupulous dealer selling random mushrroms as magic ones.

If your looking for more specific info please feel free to elaborate on the situation as much as you feel comfortable, and i'll do my best to help. do still post this as a new thread. I'll copy my response over there, and you'll likely get better traffic.