This article made me think about Salvia (clones)

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
FrenchMachine

This article made me think about Salvia (clones)

Post by FrenchMachine » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Could the human clones of 'Cloud Atlas' be in our future?

"The scenario of multiple, identical copies of people is something that the media tend to latch on to, while missing [the technology's] real potential, i.e. genetic modification," Smith told TechNewsDaily. "Nevertheless, in science fiction the notion of identical clones does occur, and I cannot rule it out on technical grounds."

http://tinyurl.com/9p6mraa

Metanoian

Re: This article made me think about Salvia (clones)

Post by Metanoian » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:00 am

Also had me thinking of Salvia. Have yet to see the film yet, but I definitely plan on it.
Pulled and kneaded like salt water taffy.

Interconnecting peoploids, like tinker toy ferris wheels, rotating counterclockwise for eternity.

burningmouth

Post by burningmouth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

I read the book a couple of months ago. The section about sonmi-451 (the fabricant/clone) was the best part of the novel. There wasn't much salviaesque about the novel though.
(except...)
Fabricants drink a substance called 'soap' that brings on amnesia so that the fabricants wont develop a sense of curiosity about the world above their workplace. The world above is where the 'purebloods' live. The purebloods have a more developed sense of awareness than the fabricants. The purebloods might be similar to the salvia beings, and we humans might be like the fabricants. Perhaps salvia divinorum is our escape from our underground workplace. Perhaps salvia divinorum is how we can flee our assembly line jobs as cheeseburger flippers and ascend upward through the elevator into the world of the purebloods/salvia beings.

Actually, the world of the purebloods is a consumer/Corporate shit hole. Who knows, maybe the world of the salvia beings is likewise a shithole?

The early reviews of the movie are split between excellent and lousy. Ebert gave it 4 stars, but a lot of major newspapers panned the movie. It cost 100 million to make and has only made 15 million after 2 weeks here in the states. It will be interesting to see if the Europeans like it.

One day we might be able to use 3D printers to create our own fabricants. Actually, we ourselves might have been 3D printed.

Frenchy and Dio -- We each experienced within ourselves the mindblowing potential of salvia divinorum. The 'facade' thread is probably the best salvia thread anywhere. I wish the salvia beings and their wheels could make a comeback.
Last edited by burningmouth on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metanoian

Post by Metanoian » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Been thinking about you lately my friend :) Good to see you still around.

I have yet to go see Cloud Atlas but I may pick up the book. Not much into films lately, but have been reading as much as I can, when I have the time. Time......something so in demand. In the future will time be a currency? Sure feels that way presently.

The beings have always been with me, even if popularity has waned. But us three, we always hear that call and remember the immensity of the secrets that are hidden...

Interconnecting peoploids, like tinker toy ferris wheels, rotating counterclockwise for eternity.

tushaar

Post by tushaar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 am

Uh, hello? Am I the only one who is shocked after seeing the movie?????
Watching this movie made me uneasy several times, as if remembering that consecutive of my trips had been exactly with the same feelings and scenes.
Had I seen the "future" with salvia before? Did Salvia show me how I am going to construct my reality depending on the things I do, and showing me this loophole, that Salvia showed me what I'm going to live to, just because I did salvia. It's like See the future with the help of salvia, but doing salvia will be the creator of your future. It's like seeing the future what salvia smoking made you going to have now. aaaah, this is all so overwhelming :D Please confirm the salviesque feelings with this movie guys, I don't want to be the only one.

hello????? unfamiliar?!?!?

burningmouth

Post by burningmouth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 am

I'm anxiously waiting for the DVD. :)

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:56 pm

I decided to buy the book, waiting to see the movie.....brothers (one is now a sister....sex change) Wachowski did the Matrix....so its gotta be good.....I think the sheeple may have troubles with it though.... .....good review of the book Burning Mouth, his other writings seem to echo this multiple viewpoints of reality....

......I'm not so sure about past lives and reincarnation.....just dont really know....."feels like the very first time".....haha..isnt that some lyric....

burningmouth

Post by burningmouth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Did you guys know this?

David Mitchell (the author of Cloud Atlas) also wrote a book titled 'Number9Dream'. Here's a snip from an interview with him:
INTERVIEWER

I noticed this sentence in Number9Dream: “The cloud atlas turns its pages over.”

MITCHELL

Wow, is that in Number9Dream? Then the phrase was haunting me earlier than I realized. “Cloud Atlas” is the name of a piece of music by the Japanese composer Toshi Ichiyanagi, who was Yoko Ono’s first husband. I bought the CD just because of that track’s beautiful title. It pleases me that Number9Dream is named after a piece of music by Yoko’s more famous husband, though I couldn’t duplicate the pattern indefinitely.
http://www.theparisreview.org/interview ... d-mitchell

#########################

For me, the book peaked during the second part of sonmi451's story. After that it was sort of downhill.

One gripe about the movie is the part where everyone speaks pigeon English. While it works on the page, it doesn't work as well in the movie. Apparently, the audience has a hard time understanding the actors.

(as of 12-20-12)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $26,682,072 40.6%
+ Foreign: $38,999,496 59.4%
= Worldwide: $65,681,568

It still hasn't made enough to pay the cost of production. DVD sales should help out.
DVD release date is Feb 5, 2013.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 am

Mho: Better read the book, i don't like that Hollywood-Overkill-Bullshit. Did only see the Previews/Pictures and thought: Err, did i miss something in the book? It's good to read, while not that absolutely great, but that's just a matter of taste.
The sonmi-part of the story is my favourite, too :)
The Hollyfuckmovie didn't anger me that serious, because it isn't one of my favourite books, but talking about the hobbit is a completely different matter, so i'd like to wish Mr. Jackson a mean, evil dead ... mwaharharhar
Bhagwan told me not to worry. If i do it'll make me sorry. Alright.

Metanoian

Post by Metanoian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 am

minderbinder wrote:...but talking about the hobbit is a completely different matter, so i'd like to wish Mr. Jackson a mean, evil dead ... mwaharharhar
Oh come on, he did the book some justice :) That riddles in the dark scene was very well done. And I enjoyed the troll scene too.

Even that cool little branch off with the Wizard Radagast was interesting. One character in the book they didn't delve too deeply into that I always wanted to know more about. I don't watch too many movies any more either to be honest, the crap hollywood churns out is pretty bland and uninteresting for the most part. The Hobbit was the first movie I've seen in 3D :lol:

I'm now about half way through the book Cloud Atlas, thanks again burningmouth ;) Really enjoying it so far.