Is it legal to carry salvia on airplane?

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
Teal_

Re: Is it legal to carry salvia on airplane? -

Post by Teal_ » Sun May 11, 2008 9:24 pm

Just stuff in a box of tea leaves. It's just leaf and it doesn't smell. Weed is fat sticky resinous buds that will stink up your whole suitcase. If they ask, you say its a specialty herb that you are taking to your friends.

Also, you could try mailing it.

jux

Post by jux » Mon May 12, 2008 12:38 am

+1 to mailing it....if you are worried about the risk, just mail it and avoid the hassle.

Venison

Post by Venison » Mon May 12, 2008 1:28 am

Teal_ wrote:Just stuff in a box of tea leaves. It's just leaf and it doesn't smell. Weed is fat sticky resinous buds that will stink up your whole suitcase. If they ask, you say its a specialty herb that you are taking to your friends.

Also, you could try mailing it.
Yes, I was thinking something similar. I was in my local shop that sells your organic foods and lotions and what not. I was looking in their jars of herbs and noticed that spearmint looks nearly identical to sally (which makes plenty of sense). I would think if you just found some packaging for somethin similar in appearance you should be fine (I make no guarantees). And I'd say have a couple similar packages of "honest" tea or spices or crap.

I kinda doubt that K9's have been taught to sniff out salvia. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

salviasofthead

Post by salviasofthead » Mon May 12, 2008 10:10 am

Maybe pack one of those perforated tea balls as well as ONLY whole leaf. Might want to pick up some mint or lemon balm leaf too (both good for tea). Looking at the leaf, it's obviously not weed.

ss

mconlonx

Post by mconlonx » Mon May 12, 2008 3:45 pm

I wouldn't chance it. You will get arrested on suspicion of posessing a controlled substance, they will assume it is marijuana (green vegetable matter). Later, you will be released and exonerated when tests for THC come back negative, but in the meantime you will have missed your plane, been in jail, and paid all kinds of legal fees to extract yourself from the situation.

Sound like a good time to you?

lake

Post by lake » Mon May 12, 2008 8:39 pm

dude if the smell it they can tell its not weed cops are trained to do that.

RifeHeretic

Post by RifeHeretic » Mon May 12, 2008 9:04 pm

there are more scheduled substances that weed, it would most definately be tested if the security's an ass

jacky

Post by jacky » Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 pm

I have flown with many different herb products. just dont take any liquid products.
label everything.
new baggies.
I also take along some dietary supplement catalogs, like from chromadex. and if asked, which has happened only once in 6-8 times flying with these materials, I just say that I am in the supplement/herb research industry, which isnt really technically a lie.

most times, they dont even look at it.

kratom, salvia, all sorts of stuff has been taken on board. but only in my carryon.

I would be worried more about packing it in your checked bags, and getting them lost, than worrying about any guards hassling you.

the only thing that was questioned last time I flew was that I had a collection of essential oils, which could have been confiscated as liquids. but we are talking 5 ml bottles of oils, and right behind me a woman got "caught" taking shampoo on the plane, which alerted all the guards/employees to descend upon her.
ha ha.
my cousin had already gotten through security, and he was hoping that I would get searched more, as he had a bet that oakland airport would hassle me.
well, at oakland airport, if you are flying out of the place, and happen to have weed on you, and you are flying to a state that doesnt allow medical weed, then they will keep it for you in a locker till you return, and then, THEY GIVE IT BACK TO YOU.
so salvia divinorum, for at least now, doesnt register.
now it is possible, that if you are flying into a state that doesnt allow it, that you might be careful, but even at this point, I doubt that many airlines are knowledgeable about salvia divinorum to know that you are not supposed to have it. that will most likely change in the future...

jux

Post by jux » Mon May 12, 2008 9:21 pm

andrewmadden wrote:dude if the smell it they can tell its not weed cops are trained to do that.

the people at airports are tsa, not police. besides, even some cops arent smart enough to tell the difference....check the dea micrograms for some of the stuff that has been sent in as suspected weed.

mconlonx

Post by mconlonx » Tue May 13, 2008 1:05 pm

jux wrote:the people at airports are tsa, not police. besides, even some cops arent smart enough to tell the difference....check the dea micrograms for some of the stuff that has been sent in as suspected weed.
Seriously--I hope no one is counting on the intelligence or education of TSA screeners to be able to tell one green leafy vegetable matter from another.

And maybe in Oakland, you can board a plane with stuff like this while they hold your pot for you for when you get back, but in other places, it will probably depend more on how you look and the mood of the TSA person responsible for looking you over.

But also check where your plane might be headed--Chicago is a major hub for all kinds of layovers and flight changes, and IL just made Salvia illegal. Even if your destination and place of origin is OK, you might get in trouble with substances scheduled in layover states.