Was 2020 a Simulation?

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
peoploid
Was 2020 a Simulation?

Post by peoploid » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9p9NE4Pji0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK0q812bAK0

Buried deep in this site's history is a post about 'simulations'. It was the first time that I had even heard of the idea. Since then simulation theories have gained traction across the internet. The above 15 minute video is interesting, albeit perhaps with a few errors. It brought my attention to Nick Bostrom's book which is available on Kindle for around 8 bucks.

The video mentions the idea that a creator of a universal simulation might want to keep the simulation more efficient by making everything in 2D (to save processing power). 2d could then be projected into 3D.
Voila, aren't our old salvia trip reports full of experiencers claiming that their hallucinations were in 2d? I know that mine seemed like they were somewhere between 2d and 3d. Something to consider fellow salvianauts. I'll probably read Bostrom's book, and if I find anything interesting possibly related to salvia, I'll comment on it.

Simulation theory is probably way down the list on what we should be worrying about these days, but what the hell.

Reporter - "Dr. Fauci, are you aware of any new medicines we can use to combat the coronavirus?
Dr. Fauci - (clears throat) Are you aware of the plant salvia divinorum?"

(Dr. Fauci then morphs into a replicating series of gingerbreading Dr. Faucies before disappearing into a rotating, wheel-like vortex)
Last edited by peoploid on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forever riding the rotating, molecular structure of interconnecting peoploids

unsigned_char72

Re: Was 2020 a Simulation?

Post by unsigned_char72 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:33 pm

I remember of a somewhat scary experience Swim had long time ago (it's posted somewhere here on edot), when the Salvia entity told Swim he was living in a closed world where there is no escape, like in a simulation. It was awful but she said to not worry because it was all ok.

As far Swim can remember, he never had 2D experiences, only 3D with the usual salviascapes (the wheel, the people and the forgotten childhood memories).

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:59 am

I too, believe we live in a simulation. The oddities of quantume mechanics, like an electron not existing until you look for it and the effects of time dilation, are best explained by the need to conserve processing power.

peoploid

Post by peoploid » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 am

I bought the Kindle version of 'Superintelligence' by Nick Bostrom. It's rather difficult reading, and I'm just a few pages in. The only interesting thing I've read thus far is the belief that AI will probably reach a "human level" of intelligence before 2100, and will vastly surpass that soon thereafter. That is what has the Bill Gates types so concerned -- the idea that once AI reaches human level intelligence, it will shoot past it exponentially, leaving us mere humans in the dust.

I also bought a book called the 'Doomsday Calculation'. It's pretty interesting. I think it discusses something called Bayes' Theorem, which is an equation dealing with probability relating to predicting world events. Hopefully, this will tie in with simulation theory.

Neil deGrasse Tyson made an interesting comment about the need for simulations to conserve computing power by limiting the speed of light. If we could travel faster than the speed of light, then the PROGRAMMER OVERLORD (my term) would be forced to continuously render all these galactic worlds around us quickly, thus using a whole lot of computing power.

These 'mensa' dudes sitting around discussing simulations talk about "base reality", which is the original world from which simulations are birthed. Haven't we all read trip reports where salvia trippers state that salvia reality is more real than the waking-state, objective world around us? Basically, I'm just speculating about any similarities between simulations and so-called 'salvia reality'.

One last thing. Right before Terence McKenna's death, an interviewer said that he passed by multiple salvia divinorum plants on his way to McKenna's house. It's nice to know that McKenna was familiar with -- and possibly experimenting with -- salvia right up to the end.

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I also strongly believe in the AI superintellingence, or "Technological Singularity" as they call it. It's difficult to evaluate when it will happen, but it would be sad if we miss to see it/benefit from it in our lifetimes. My guess is that humanity will somewhat "merge" with it at some point, leaving behind the biological existence. But I also guess the "consciousness problem" has to be also solved first, because no one will be eager to merge with a machine if he can't retain his consciousness.

peoploid

Post by peoploid » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:28 am

All quotes are from "The Doomsday Calculation".

Ancestor Simulations -- digital simulations of the past.
"The neural firings of a human brain are equivalent to about 10^16 to 10^17 processor operations per second. Right now (2019) there are supercomputers that do 10^17 operations per second. An ancestor simulation of a 21st century Earth would require 10^33 to 10^36 operations per second. A planet sized computer might be capable of 10^42 operations per second."

Roko's Basilisk -- "An urban legend of the transhumanist community. The Basilisk is a morally defective future AI that blackmails people to do its bidding. Do as the Basilisk wants, and nobody gets hurt. Otherwise it simulates many exact copies of you in very unpleasant worlds. You have to know about the Basilisk, and think about it, for its threats to have any power over you. So maybe I've already said too much."

"Outlaw simulations and only outlaws will have simulations."

"(a) I live in a world where sim technology has not been invented. If sim technology does not now and never will exist, then I am 100 percent certain to find myself in a world without sim technology. (b) But if sim technology exists or is destined to exist, then the chance of finding myself in a world apparently without sim technology is something less than 100 percent. It's less because there has to be a group of real people who created the simulations, a world where sim technology is accepted as an everyday fact."

"Simulation technology would be a transformative thing, like television or the internet. The real people in a society possessing, and benefiting from, simulation technology would be well aware of it. And if the technology had existed for a long time, more and more ancestor simulations would revisit epochs after sim technology was invented. There would be sims of people who knew they lived in a society with omnipresent sim technology. There would be sims of sims. It's hard to escape the conclusion that sim-created societies would accept the simulation hypothesis as a fact of life."

"Because I (author) live in a society that does not seem to have sim technology, I am unusually early in the timeline of simulation technology. This is highly improbable if sims exist or will exist."
This is apparently true because realPeople and/or simPeople would be more willing to create worlds where sim technology already exists --- probably because worlds with sim technology are more interesting than worlds without sim technology :| .

"A disconcerting thought is that we may be living in a simulation of a creator who is interested in President Trump because of some momentous effect he had on subsequent world history. In order to understand the dynamics of the Trump era, the creator historians would need to play a certain five-minute segment over and over with slightly different initial conditions. Our world might one of those five minute loops." :cry:

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 am

Well I feel better! I came to the same conclusion as neil degrasse tyson RE the speed of light and time dialation. 😁

aqualung42

Post by aqualung42 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:35 am

""A disconcerting thought is that we may be living in a simulation of a creator who is interested in President Trump because of some momentous effect he had on subsequent world history. In order to understand the dynamics of the Trump era, the creator historians would need to play a certain five-minute segment over and over with slightly different initial conditions. Our world might one of those five minute loops.""

It might not be that he does anything specific, but is important because of the effects around him. Right now there are two sides. One believes he is their savior the other believes he is the anti-christ. One side wants to a return to tradition the other side has openly called for the hunting and de-personing of the other side. A civil war IS coming! I don't see any avoidance of it. There is still a narrow window to avert it but the democrats seem unwilling to cool the tensions, so both sides will withdraw to their respective corners and plot. The democrats, now with the power of the government and a complicit corporate oligarchy, will/are using it against the ideological opponents. Their opponents have been stockpiling weapons and food for decades in preparation for this event. In fact, the preparations have only accelerated this year. So now we all sit here waiting for the first shot to be fired and THEN the war starts. It'll happen. There is too much tension and too many people for it not to happen. Then the government will crackdown. The MAGA folks will begin open armed insurrection, and what happens from there is anyone's guess. Odds are it will not be good for anyone.

peoploid

Post by peoploid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:06 am

^well stated
After seeing what's trending on Twitter, it looks like radicalized liberals have become the new Nazis --- but I guess the libs could say the same about conservatives.
Cancel culture is in hyper drive.
1984 has finally arrived.

America is dividing up like an amoeba splitting in two. The precision of the separation is surgical (almost as if an off-world entity is holding the scalpel)
Last edited by peoploid on Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanamakutu

Post by Nanamakutu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:52 am

It's absolutely insane how fast things have progressed lately. Very ominous feeling in the air now.

One thing I've noticed is how some people tend to attribute the division we are seeing as being "created by Trump", as if this divide hasn't been boiling under the surface for decades. I guess a lot of people didn't have any reason to notice until it was put right in their faces.

Great thread btw