Bishop's Cap Cactus

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
Teotzlcoatl

Re: Bishop's Cap Cactus -

Post by Teotzlcoatl » Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I'd say eat half of a large flowering adult specimen first, since this one could be potentially dangerous.

Here's my method for Human Bioassy of "Lost Peyotes"-
I think the best way to go about doing a "Lost Peyote" bioassy would be to grow from seed or otherwise obtain a fair number of the cactus in questions. Let's say your going to bioassy Strombocactus disciformis. Well you sow a fair number of Strombocactus seeds and grow them, while at the same time obtaining live specimens, grow all your cacti to mature flowering age and then began ingestions.

I believe the best way to bioassy the "Lost Peyotes" would be the following-

1) Ingest one large mature specimen. Some other methods of ingestion might be ideal for the intial bioassy (such as smoking Ariocarpus turberles, which does work)

2) Ingest one large mature specimen with a small amount of Trichocereus cactus of a known potency (To study it's possible use as a companion plant to Lophophora, being ingested along with it.)

3) Ingest a few medium to large adult plants.

4) Ingest many adult plants.

Be sure to not use all of your cacti for bioassy, keep a good genetic diversity for each species (Some "Lost Peyotes" species may only have ONE active strain) and always remember, many of these species are close to extiction, I would encourage people to donate their money and time to Peyote Conservation funds and I think it should be the goal of each person who comes in contact with this wonderful cacti to restore their former glory in the wild, my dream is to one day release many of my specimens back into the wild when I'm old and grey and near the end of my days...

If any specimens should rot or otherwise die, then this material can be kept for bioassy, just write down the date when it was dried and other information.
From Here!
I'd like to hear the results of an Astrophytum M. bioassay

Me too! Justin your doing some brave and IMHO, very meaningful work, Keep it up man and let us know if you need any help! This new generation of psychonauts and shamans will rediscover the "Lost Peyotes" of Mexico!

Justincg18

Post by Justincg18 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 am

ha thanks alot. i can't wait for it to come in (i ordered it yesterday) i will post photos of it once i have him. I'm also a nature photography and i'm working on a complete book of nothing but entheogens that i have shot. (My avatar is one of my photos)

anyway back on subject, i can't thank everyone enough for the advice and support and when the time comes i will share every detail of my experience with this cactus. :)

Teotzlcoatl

Post by Teotzlcoatl » Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am

I need somebody to provide high quaility images of 100s of ethnobotanicals for my book, I'd love to use your pictures...

I can give you a list of all the plants I need...

Let us know what you do with that "Revered Cactus"!

RifeHeretic

Post by RifeHeretic » Thu May 15, 2008 12:47 pm

I don't think using seed grown cacti would be the most accurate way to see if they are psychoactive.

A lot of the seed grown, indoor born peyotes are barely active at all. They don't recieve the stress of their natural environment and usually have a lot more water weight.

Kadakuda

Post by Kadakuda » Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

more water weight, yes. not active....i disagree :)

Elloall

Post by Elloall » Thu May 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I know stress is an important factor...

But you don't think a 10-15 year old flowering adult seed grown Lophophora would be active?

Robotic Elf

Post by Robotic Elf » Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Kadakuda wrote:more water weight, yes. not active....i disagree :)
I agree with Kada ! I think the 'wild is most potent' idea is about as accurate as the idea about the LW's trichomes being composed of strichnine. IME, a happy, healthy LW, backyard grown, is more active than a wild-grown plant of the same age. Of course the homegrown plant will probably be bigger and healthier, but it will also contain more goodies.

If I had access to wild-grown plants (and it was all legal to do so), I would do a mescaline extraction on both wild and homegrown plants, just to be able to quantify my belief. Truly, I don't believe that stress positively affects potency either, but that's just my experience -- Ed.

Robotic Elf

Post by Robotic Elf » Thu May 15, 2008 6:57 pm

Teotzlcoatl wrote: Some other methods of ingestion might be ideal for the intial bioassy (such as smoking Ariocarpus turberles, which does work !
Smoking Ariocarpus tubercles works ? Can you explain that, please ? Ed.

Elloall

Post by Elloall » Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 pm

A friend smoked an Ariocarpus tubercle and experienced pain relif and sedation, as well as a trippy feeling...

Davidartist1234

Post by Davidartist1234 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:15 am

bye
Last edited by Davidartist1234 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.