new to growing salvia

zakmalados

Re: new to growing salvia -

Post by zakmalados » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:50 pm

I had two Sally's. In summer, they did well indoors in my office, but in winter, they suffered and died. Modern office buildings have such efficient ventilation that there is nothing you can do to effectively raise the humidity. During most of the winter, the humidity mmeter read from 0 to 10%... Sally cannot stand this.

Also, like someone said, the spider mites will explode in these conditions. White flies, too.

I dont know what the answer is, unfortunately.

Zak

Zander

Post by Zander » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:16 am

So, o.k., I need to keep my Sallys in a humid environment, which is also probably better for us in the winter too, but by keeping them in that moister environment I'll increase the chance that we have problems with spider mites...is that about how it goes?

ozone rider

Post by ozone rider » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:44 am

Hey Zander actually quite the opposite , spider mite like dry conditions , misting helps discourage them . The only problem I can see is you need to combine plants with the same needs in the same areas . Cactus usually like low humidity , tropicals and such like high . You could actually create miniature micro climates within the area you are setting aside . High humidity plants close to the tub and low humidity way farther away . Get the idea ? [img]thumb.gif[/img]

Zander

Post by Zander » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:27 am

That's what I was trying to explain to my husband, while trying to convince him the addition would be a good idea. I didn't know the mites hated misting, will definately work on keeping the humidity up.
Right now I have another building project to finish before he'll even consider a new addition to the house. I'd like to create some seperate ecosystems. The addition I want to make would be apx. 36 x 12 with 12 x 12 being the moister, darker zone. One thing at a time I guess.

Zander

Post by Zander » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:05 pm

I can see it now, sitting in the jacuzzi sipping your favorite adult beverage, surrounded by beautiful tropical greenery, in the dead of winter in Alaska.

Burjo, that is exactly the picture that is in my mind and since that whole snow and ice thing usualy lasts at least six months up here color and warmth are definately good for the mental health.

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:59 pm

Right; high humidity helps keep mites under control. Also, so does varying temperatures (especially low temperatures).

However, spraying regularly did not help a bit in a dry office environment. It might even have hurt.

Zak

ozone rider

Post by ozone rider » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:51 pm

Hey Zak , all is not lost in an office setting :thinkerg: You could buy a cool water vaporizer and set that up right near the plants . It might look kinda funky but it sure would solve the humidity problem . [img]thumb.gif[/img]

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:24 pm

Actually, I now have such a thing, so I might give it another try. Fact is, I have taken all sorts of steps to try to raise the humidity in my office, but the ventilation system is just too efficient...

My last dead Sally was in rough shape before steps were taken to raise humidity, so at least there is some room to hope for a change.

Zak

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:48 am

Terrariums look pretty cool and can be used to raise plants in.

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:52 pm

I'm gonna try something like that (actually, I have a small baker's rack; I might just wrap the entire time once round with plastic wrap). I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Zak