new to growing salvia

Zander

Re: new to growing salvia -

Post by Zander » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:50 am

Thanks for that info, there have been some winters when the spider mites have made me crazy trying to get rid of them. Most of my plants seem to be immune to them and even the aphids but there are times when trying to eliminate those two is nearly impossible.
Keeping up the moisture is a good idea for many reasons in the winter now I have another good one but any good suggestions for both the mites and the aphids. I would go organic but that has been a major failure for me, if you go for the big guns I know you don't want to use the leaves for a period of time but since my plants are babys that shouldn't be an issue this year and I have my plants where my cat people would't be munching and getting sick.

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:28 am

Horticultural oils are pretty safe, they can be washed off with water...they smother the egs of many small insects liek thrips and mites...salvia doesn't suffer from the oil. Some leaf polishes do the same thing.....vigorous spritzing of water bi-weekly also keeps off mites and thrips, you just have to be careful of breaking the stems and leaves. Some of this spritzing is good for them as it strengthens their stems so they don't need to be staked. salvias will grow up 10 ft. straight up, but most folks top them to encourage lateral growth and eliminate flowers. I always suggest to everyone to try and grow the flowers, if only to see and smell them, but also to try and expand the gene pool abit, as its pretty difficult to get them to set any seeds, and then those are ususally not viable.(from what I've read) good luck, Jupe

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:30 am

there is this stuff pyola which will do the trick and its the safest one i have seen. some organics list a questionable product with the pyrethrins etc. but this does not. they add piperonyl butoxoid which is straight foul. pyola does not seem to be a problem for mammals but will display no mercy to those pests. the key is to keep spraying every five days as that is there life cycle with eggs hatching immediately then the next generation is already to lay eggs. after that you can see what the deal is and get that predator mites which don't harm plants but kill the foul mites. but spraying will kill them all. if you have a co2 tank you can turn it up for an hour and damn near kill everything in all up in there breathing, not the plants, but be sure and not be around. i have not tried that last one but ask ed suggests it for other plants that suffer from mites so...ants herd aphids like cattle and dig little dirt barns for them and shit and milk them so watch for ants and other insects as a indication sometimes. i find the most common problem is touching stuff from outside then inside. good idea for indoor gardeners is to set up a quaratine area before introducing them to your collection. like if a vendor sends you one infected plant, even with eggs, then you are done if its popped into your mix. a nice single under the counter flour. bulb, a two footer is what i have, in a small area with a small fan is good to just check shit out.

Zander

Post by Zander » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:14 pm

Thanks for the help. So far my babys are looking very perky, I would love to let the Sally's get ten feet tall but my room isn't big enough. I'd been teasing my husband about adding another story to the house and making it all a plant room, he didn't seem to like that idea but we did talk last night about building a room where our old woodshed had been that could be a plant room and if I make it two levels I'd have room to let some plants get that tall. He wants to build the room and put a hot tub in where we'd have a view of the mountain but I want to grow more Brugmansia and cacti so don't think a hot tub would make them happy. It should make the Sally's feel good but what about the others any ideas on that? Since I've got him in the mood to expand I will start taking measurements and drawing up plans before he can change his mind.

ozone rider

Post by ozone rider » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Kyeeon000 you said " don't want to mist too much"
How much is to much ? Wouldn't it all depend on the ambient humidity to begin with ? I am currently misting my plants 10 to 15 times a day with a relative humidity of 30% and they seem to love it . I can understand a problem with mold etc. if they are constantly in a tent with 80 to 100 % humidity . My plants are all outside for the summer as well . I was getting dried up leaf edges until I started to really mist them , they have responded really well . [img]thumb.gif[/img]

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:01 pm

well, too much too me is having water sit on the leaf you know, just sitting there under lights. it can cause troubles, but if your system is too hot in there esp. in winter, it might need it. its a fine balance. sometimes a tray and a few less mistings may cut down on concerns that breed trouble with too much moisture sitting on the leaves.

Zander

Post by Zander » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:07 am

It seems odd but we have realitvely low humidity where I live even though I'm only a few miles from Cook Inlet and have other water sources all around us. I;ve noticed when I mist the plants look pretty dry within an hour and they are in an area with good air circulation.
In the winter we have both woodstove, main heat, and propane backup for very cold days. The wood heat gets pretty dry but the propane seems to cause moisture. I would be worried then about things getting wet and staying wet and possibly chilling.
I'm still wondering about the possible effects of having a hot tub in a plant room. That is what the husband wants, I'm thinking more like a fountain in one area where my Sallys would be and then things drier where I'd like to grow more brugmansia and cacti. Anyone tried a set up like that?

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:15 am

my friend has a hot tub with plants all around, its sooo nice. like a tropical paradise!

catfish

Post by catfish » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:01 am

Z-
I think that the wood fire is more dry than the propane heat is that the wood has very little water in it, while propane's products are CO (if not burned efficiently), CO2, and H2O (water).
Putting a pan of water or two w/ large surface areas next to your sallys would help keep up the humidity. Or having a big pot of water on the wood burners all the time.
It seems to be a matter of acclimatization: where I live, in the US Midwest, it gets to be 90'F, but with 75-90% relative humidity. This year has been the exception, with lots of rain early, and it's still only 70'F outside. So my sally has not gotten too big this year.
-cfg
;)
trade for what you want at the Botanical Swap Project: http://forums.botanicalswap.org/
and build your tradelist at our estore: http://shop.botanicalswap.org
specializing in high quality and low prices!

marcus

Post by marcus » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:47 am

I came to the conclusion that misting the plants simply makes them drier. It's like wetting your hands often, they will get drier not moistier.To increase effectively the humidity in a plant room you need an electric humidifier, you shouldn't spray water directly on your plants.
I live in climate zone 8, in winter I keep my plants in a room with no heating on, I may turn it on occasionally if the temperature there falls below 15°C. I keep a termometer and a hygrometer there to kep the environment under control so to say. Termometers and hygrometrs for greenhouses are very cheap and easy to be found.
In winter my Salvias fare much better then in summer, because they don't like the summer heat and the drier weather even if I keep them in a shaded, cool and moist place in my garden.
M.