new to growing salvia

mhills

new to growing salvia -

Post by mhills » Fri May 21, 2004 12:43 am

hi, i just received sally in the mail . she's about 4 - 5 inches tall with about 4 branches but she's not standing up very strong. I picked up some Alaska 5 - 1 - 1 and im storing it in shaded light inside near a window. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks
*_*

Winder

Re: new to growing salvia -

Post by Winder » Fri May 21, 2004 1:58 am

I found that my salvia are very happy with regular potting soil augmented with blood and bone meals and some dried manure pellets. Finally I top dress with Osmocote controlled release fertilizer.

Fourteen cuttings were struck this winter from two plants (the plants have since perished from all the theiving). The cuttings, now rooted and potted, were in my basement under fluoros. Now that the basement has warmed up to about 70 deg. F, the leaves were starting to get larger and the plants were filling out. I am not misting and I have a dehumidifier in the basement set at the mid point.

Just tonight I took the plants outside to my shady porch. I am eager to see how they will adapt. I tried this about 6 weeks ago, and it was too cool for them then. I am ready to whip out the neem oil and/or insecticidal soap on any pests that start feasting.

High temperatures here have been low to mid 80s, but cooling by evening and reaching low 60s in the mornings.

Dirtycaner

Post by Dirtycaner » Fri May 21, 2004 3:18 pm

My salvia seems happy enuff with the occasional brew of miracle grow. Certainly doesn't seem to have done it any harm. However, these days I tend to use the miracle grow house plant food, the green liquid in th triangular bottle.

Almost time for a feeding now in fact...

DirtyC-

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Fri May 21, 2004 5:47 pm

i don't like that osmocote shit...you needn't get all that crafty...throw them in containers in well draining soil...hit with some worm casting or fish tea, and there should be no problems...i have had same plants for years...its one of the easiest to grow, root, share plants i have ever seen...i like these other strains, in terms of appearence, so much...the luna is so wonderful...you fellows checked that one? nice up the area...peace

Winder

Post by Winder » Sat May 22, 2004 12:21 am

Brugmansia are easy to grow.

Salvia will easily die by taking too many cuttings or having a sudden shift in soil chemistry or lighting.

I had one die just because it bloomed.

I am beginning to think that the ease/difficulty that differs from person to person in rooting is the hardness or pH of the water used.

xochipili

Post by xochipili » Sat May 29, 2004 7:10 pm

It's probably too late, but if you bought her that small, she almost certainly came from a greenhouse, which means she will almost certainly just keel over if you don't have her in a humidity tent. I cut the bottom off 2-liter plastic pop bottles and set it right over the plant in the soil. The next day I take it away for an hour, then put it back. Next day two hours, and so on.

She has to be lured carefully into the world of nonhumidity, but once adapted, she's fine in the open with several mistings a day. I'm only speaking from my own experience, but I got three little plants that way and though they wilted alarmingly that first day, they revived quickly in their diet Coke tents and are now on the windowsill, bare to the world, used to room temp and lack of humidity, getting tall and putting out new leaves like crazy.

They should be in comically huge pots because of the deep root systems they want to develop. I feed every time I water, with those Miracle Gro drops, and they seem happy in their commercial potting soil mix to which I added a ton of perlite. They have water-retaining gravel on top, but I still have to water/feed them every three days or they start to collapse their heads. I mist them 5-10 times a day.

I love them so much! Every day I creep in with my coffee and sing a nonsensical good morning song to them during their first misting, which I'm sure would look insane if someone caught me.

Canuck

Post by Canuck » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Salvia Plath:

They should be in comically huge pots because of the deep root systems they want to develop.
I agree, transplanting only stresses it, start out with as large a pot as you can.

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:08 pm

i put a bunch in the ground that looked a little sad in pots and they are vibrant...i dug up the ground around them and its semishade, with real rich, well-draining and loose soil. After you reach that stage where a cutting is established, you might want to pop them in to make them real hardy.

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:09 pm

oh, pull thems up of course at frost times, dont forget! i have crazy tropicals all over and decided to write them all down lest i forget...

Salvinorin

Post by Salvinorin » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:21 pm

This sounds called a three piece suit and thing, so love is all i bring, so don't be like a puppet on a string, all you got to do is sing!
Uptown top-ranking...decided to write them all down lest i forget... [/QB]
I don't understand your signature Kykeon... what does that mean?