* An Organized Entheogen Religion *

Here is the place to discuss philosophy, religion, and spirituality.
Sphinx

Re: Entheogen Religions, organized? -

Post by Sphinx » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 am

sachadelic wrote:.

Entheogenicists surely have a great collective wealth of insight, wisdom and inspiration. In order to develop an entheogenic religion, the first step would be to start accumating a body of wisdom, one that bears the unique insights of entheogens. The richer the body of teachings, the stronger the foundation. Don't think in terms of some instant formula, think in terms of growing a living tree, or a living vine, that becomes stronger and stronger when it is nourished.

There is no need to debate about points of doctrine -- like are we pantheist or panentheist or polytheist -- there is no need for people to have the same beliefs as one another, or the same beliefs they had last month, either. The first insight I think that all entheogens give is that the realm that is accessed through entheogens is beyond human thought, language, concepts or belief systems. Thoughts, words, concepts and beliefs are only tools that we can use to focus and interact with forces that are actually beyond our brain's capacity for understand. What really matters in entheogenic religion is direct experience.

People have revelations all the time on entheogens that don't translate into any kind of literal language. People should feel free to use any kind of symbols or form of expression they can, without worrying about whether what they say "agrees" with anyone else in logical literal terms.

Most of all, a religion has to have passion and inspiration. That is why it cannot be faked. And that passion doesn't come out of intellectual philosophies. It comes from connecting with Spirit. Not saying what anyone should -- beliefs are only intellectual tools, after all -- but I don't think that anyone who does not make a connection with Spirit would have the passion, dedication and inspiration that would be necessary to give birth to the new entheogenic religions.

It can grow organically into a real religion. Eventually, for legal purposes, it would need to form into separate entities dedicated to particular entheogens, because a religion that uses more than one sacrament cannot succeed in the courts. Such autonomous religious entities could all be linked together in an alliance, though.

Don't expect that this process must be instant. The churches that have gained their rights have been in existence for decades, and their age (and the body of teachings they have developed over the years) was an important key to being recognized as legitimate.

The step that should happen next is: create a thread in which people are invited to share their teachings. Even if their teachings are still in formation stage and not well articulated, by sharing people can help to clarify themselves and others. No debates, no worry if in "logical" "literal" terms people sound like they are "contradicting" each other. In entheogenic consciousness (IMVHO) we can see how reality cannot be captured in words and ideas, and if different people's insights seem to contradict each other, then that is a sign that there is an area that needs to be transcended, looking beyond the seeming contradiction to the deeper levels of reality which embraces it all.
Right!

wangyin

Re: * An Organized Entheogen Religion * -

Post by wangyin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 pm

great article moonbreeze, gave me lots to think about
Last edited by GK77 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate links in sig

khanx

Re: * An Organized Entheogen Religion * -

Post by khanx » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 pm

we can see how reality cannot be captured in words and ideas, and if different people's insights seem to contradict each other, then that is a sign that there is an area that needs to be transcended, looking beyond the seeming contradiction to the deeper levels of reality which embraces it all.
This is it :)

Words are only information bits and the interpretation of information bits differ with various perspectives.

As a result, one person will think, "His interpretation is wrong, I described it better and I'm right".

But in the end maybe they will all try to describe ONE true interpretation of the insight that people experience with entheogens ?

I mean... It's a test and a gift at the same time. A gift that only real eyes can see and interpret. There will be a common meeting point one day that will unite everyone, then people will just anknowledge it.