Here we go again...

General Chit-Chat and New Member hellos.
kosmo

Here we go again... -

Post by kosmo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:15 pm

After the near miss in my area of Flordia just a few weeks ago with Charley, here's Francis, a bigger, stronger version of Kali bearing down on my home.

It's all part of our glorious Nature, something to be in awe of, and hope to get through with life and limbs attached.

Brujo, What's this about a tropical storm off of Baja Mexico? Am I going to move next door to you for the greater freedom to enjoy my herbs without the police state stomping me, and still have to deal with such as this? [img]eek4.gif[/img]

Zander

Re: Here we go again... -

Post by Zander » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:39 pm

kosmo,

Keep safe back there. Mother seems to be intent on giving that region hell this season and it's best not to get in her way when she's like this.

NeoNaut

Post by NeoNaut » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:43 pm

Not to be an ass but maybe old mama earth is pissed over what happened in the 2000 elections. lol

But on a more serious note, my mom lives out there in Miami and has already left to stay with fam in TN, she almost lost her car in the last one. So everyone who is there be safe.
Neo

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:39 pm

Bru: I was in Los Cabos in the mid 90's. I spent some time in the outback; hiking. It's a desert/forest there (as you probably know)... giant saguarro's (or some other thirty foot branching cactus) and a number of other cacti , in dense profusion (for a desert). Neatest damn desert I ever hung out in; I'd love to go back.

I wonder if one would come across any little round gray-green cacti whilst hiking in such a place?

I took a stick and turned over a bunch of brushpiles (checking out the fauna), but all I found was hundred of these two little lizards. One was brown, the other rainbow colour (female and male?) Both about 5 inches long. They would come out of the brush at a full sprint (front legs off the ground) and fly, straight into the nearest cactus or rock or stump or whatever. Bounce off it without breaking stride and carry on in whatever new direction it landed. Sometimes a given lizard would carom off a half dozens obstacles before disappearing from sight. We called them pinball lizards.

I didn't like the amount of (and very American style of) development down there, though. That coastline is being occupied fast.

Zak

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:39 am

Hey Brujo, hows the rockhounding down there? Gemstone belt runs from inland San Diego down into Baja....we here in Santa Barbara are awaiting swell from Howard, due on Saturday....Its time to ride! Jupe

kosmo

Post by kosmo » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:06 pm

Second major storm down, another one coming (Ivan).

Spent about 48 hours listening to the trees groan, watching the water rise in the retention ponds, listening to the numbing news(when we weren't without electricity) as Frances strolled slowly across the south/central part of Florida.

Not a whole lot of hurt to the buldings around my neighborhhood, but a lot of flood and water damage. It's like the storms have formed their own bowling league, gonna see who can knock down the most pins in "hurrricane alley" this year.

C'mon Ivan! Come and get me :Moon:

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:45 pm

It would be really neat if, say, somebody got hold of a few kilograms of peyote seeds and kinda slopped em around a bit... need a better deal than what we've been seeing, if one is going to play Johnie Appleseed.

I would almost certainly not pick them, even if I saw them. Its not like you can't buy them (here, anyway). I would feel like a thief, I think.

I don't know what a boojum tree would look like; in fact, I couldn't identify most of what I saw in the desert. Still a gorgeous place. I really dig deserts.

I was quite concerned about touring around in the baja. When I was there, there had been some recent highway robberies (with dead people and everything). We decided that LaPaz was as far as we wanted to go.

I know what you mean about tourist traps, though. I have consistently enjoyed the more culturally-pure parts of mexico more than the westernized parts. Why go anywhere, if its just like home?

Zak

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:21 pm

I think, probably, I would have remembered a tree like that. So, I don't think I saw any.

Having said that; there were a lot of plants there that were highly unique and the boojums may have got lost in the shuffle.

Going places and then checking out the local flora/fauna/wild-spaces is a real kick, for me.

Zak