Prozak in the drinking water

This is where to discuss the legality of entheogens, entheogen law, anarchy, politics, etc.
zuzuya

Prozak in the drinking water -

Post by zuzuya » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:08 am

'Stay calm everyone, ther's Prozac in the drinking water'
by Mark Townsend

It should make us happy, but environmentalists are deeply alarmed: Prozac, the anti-depression drug, is being taken in such large quantities that it can now be found in Britain's drinking water.
Environmentalists are calling for an urgent investigation into this revelation, describing the build-up of the antidepressant as 'hidden mass medication'. The Environment Agency is among those concerned that Prozak is building up both in river systems and ground water used for drinking supplies.
The Goverment's chief environment watchdog recently held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any reprcussions for human health or the ecosystem.
The discovery raises fresh fears that GPs are overprescribing Prozac, Britain's antidepressant of choice. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from nine million to 24 million a year.
A recent report by the agency concluded that Prozac could be potentially toxic in the water table and said the drug was a 'potential concern'....."
www.observer.co.uk

shhheit. talk about Brave New World.....its runnin outta yer taP RIGHT NOW!

Zander

Re: Prozak in the drinking water -

Post by Zander » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:02 am

Drugs in drinking water is or should be a growing concern in any metropolitain water system. The same problem is cropping up with things like anti-biotics too. So many people on these drugs, so much of the drug passing through the body and ending up in the recyclying system to be returned to water systems. This recycling of drugs is not helping the battle against drug resistant forms of bacteria.
Drinking bottled water does not give much relief from the problem since many companys who produce bottled water are getting their water from the "city tap". Apparently there isn't any good regulations that monitor bottled water.

Zander

zuzuya

Post by zuzuya » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:11 pm

i used to --sometimes still do--filter tap water for drinking. now i get Buxton water (the tennis players at Wimbledon drink it!) a really nice tasting water, from a place not far from where i live in the countryside....It is a mineral water which comes from underground springs.....am not sure if this water would be affected by the A.D.s...

what i a shituation huh? ....stresss every where, and it all pissin into the general water system sos even kids dont escape the shrink medication

a comedy of errors

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:00 am

ah this is nothing. In the 60s and early 70s some people in Britain used to find ways to filter LSD into their tap water.

as an aside, I personally could use some Prozac in my drinking water. Sure would make sleeping at night easier.

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:08 am

Originally posted by Zander:
Drinking bottled water does not give much relief from the problem since many companys who produce bottled water are getting their water from the "city tap". Apparently there isn't any good regulations that monitor bottled water.
Bottled water is the dumbest product ever seen on the face of the planet.... no I am sorry, people who buy bottled water are even dumber... that is in countries where good drinking water is plentiful... one of my favorite comedy sketches is one where they are playing a French company trying to come up with new ideas to make money and the one guy says something like (in French accent mind you), "I know, we will bottle water and sell it to the Americans. They are so stupid they will buy anything."

bottling water can be quite handy, if you are going on a trip or something... but paying a high price for a bottle of water; I don't understand that mentality as an American myself... If you are in that desperate need of water in America, go into the closest restaurant and they will give you a glass of water FOR FREE. Really this is no joke. You can get free water. I do not kid.

junior_sound

Post by junior_sound » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:40 am

well...

my water is fucking greenish when it comes out of the tap. i live in the state with the highest cancer rate in the country per capita and the tests yield commercial pollutents and there are regular floods that have ruined the local wells. we have done taste tests prior to these, blind, straight water and there is no fucking fooling every time that it is just better tasting than our specific tap water which i don't even want to bath in. i got a still to do what we can and do tests all the time and the bottled water scores highest as i get tested where i go to school. so who knows? i guess i am stupid...evian spelled backwards :FreaK: but serious, do blind taste tests...i did it with it a similar skeptic and he picked the tap each time...fucking shit is disgusting! they develop so much, cut down so many trees so there is no drainage, not even weeds and then it floods at a thunderstorm...i mean i have never seen shit like this, cars floating down the street! it looked like a third world country and its like once a week. but the problem existed before the floods as the chems run off into the resovoirs...i would take the tap water from ghana over this.

zuzuya

Post by zuzuya » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:24 am

errrr, dreamscape, i buy bottled water. does this mean i'm 'dumb'...hope not. lets look at the evidence

yes, i gree with you there are ripp ooff bottled water producers.
only recently this big corporate firm began selling dodgy bottled water i wouldn't touch with a barge pole (forgot the name of it otherwise i'd tell you)

what i get is Buxton water which comes from undergound springs and is full of minerals. you rella y do notice the difference even from filtered tap wate, which is what i used--and still sometimes drink--to drink.
it is a beautiful flavour, and how water SHOULD taste like

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:55 pm

I guess it all depends where you are from. all my friends that grew up in areas with public water supplies hate the taste of tap water. I grew up in the country and we had a well. The water we had was full or iron (red right out of the ground), so we had filters and conditioners in our basement but the taste was still not the greatest. So to me, public tap water tastes fine.

dreamscape

Post by dreamscape » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:59 pm

Originally posted by zuzuya:
what i get is Buxton water which comes from undergound springs and is full of minerals
if you eat a well balanced diet, you shouldn't have to rely on your water to get the minerals you need.

(sorry, just trying to play devil's advocate. I know soils have become depleted and even by eating "well balanced" it can be difficult to get the nutrients & minerals you need)

Zander

Post by Zander » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:16 pm

I can understand why people in some areas need to use bottled water, up here many people have wells and although their water is good enough to use for baths and cleaning they hate the strong mineral taste. Wells even relatively close together can range from sweet spring water to smelling and tasting like rotten eggs. Of course our regular earthquakes tend to upset the ecosystem of these wells too and our ongoing drought is not making them happy.
The main point I was trying to make is many people are aware of the drugs in their city, not to mention the chlorine used in treatment, and they think by using bottled water they are getting away from all that. Problem is with most bottled water this isn't true, you are getting the tap water with some of the smell filtered out if your lucky. There are some bottled waters that do have spring water, or up here glacier water, but like anything else you need to know what you're buying.