Absinthe

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.
Slava

Absinthe

Post by Slava » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:39 am

Hi,

Am wondering if any SWIY have tried Absinthe. I have read about it on the Net, but my conclusions are inconclusive. I once grew a huge Artemesia absinthium plant from seed, but no longer live there. Wonder if the new owners know what it is?! Anyways, I was thinking of buying some from the liquor store. Any SWIY experiences? Thanks.

Dr Zzz

Re: Absinthe

Post by Dr Zzz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 pm

It is not as good as the legend suggests. It is like any herb enhaced drink (like gentiane, picon, ..., pastis/anisette/ouzo), it has a little something more, because the plants used are slightly pyschoactive (thujones, allylbenzene, ...).

The historic absinthe were very strong in ethanol, like 70% so it contributed greatly to the effect. Also recipes vary, wormwood is not the only ingredient, nor is the only responsible for psychoactivity. Fennel is often present and it has methyl-chavicol, and anethole, which helps activating the MC, so wormwood (with its thujone) is perhaps not responsible for the effect. After all you can get thujone in other plants, and they do not have the same reputation.

witchammer

Post by witchammer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:50 pm

yea its just a bit different. Its a nice novelty drink and going through the motions with the sugar and spoon or whatever .It'
s interesting for conversation like when having guests over. I'm an alcoholic and would just stupidly drink the whole bottle so I won't have things like that in my house but have had fun with it along with my pear conac.

kill_blind_elite

Post by kill_blind_elite » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I would have to beg to differ ... I have had some really good absinthe and if it is made right then it feels like the on-coming of acid creeping up your spine and everything definately feels lucid. just my experience !!!

teeko

Post by teeko » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 am

Just about any you can 'buy' is pretty much useless other than getting drunk.

Even the 'good' stuff that can't be had in public stores is nothing special. Pretty much just lowers your tolerance to alcohol so you get drunk quicker, faster and cheaper. Which is cool but not what the legends say.

From what I have gathered, is that the ingredients used traditionally have been banned in pretty much every New World country. Not the thujone carrier but the other things they would put in it, like the variety of solanaceous plants they would use and various mushrooms for example.

Melissa(lemon balm) can be found at most nurseries and can be used in place of the worm, I have heard of russian sage being used too, but I have no experience. Its much, much better to make it yourself. A vendor here had a concentrated vial you could buy to make your own, it was a good start to add other ingredients things to.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

gumbo

Post by gumbo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Well, I would sure like to get ahold of some of what they had before they banned it. Of course I'd like to drink some of the hallucinogenic heather mead the Picts made. I guess I'll never know. I do, however, have some bee hives and some mighty fine wildflower honey my little bees made for me. I am going to make some mead first chance I get.

botanicalguides

Post by botanicalguides » Tue May 10, 2016 11:34 pm

kill_blind_elite wrote:I would have to beg to differ ... I have had some really good absinthe and if it is made right then it feels like the on-coming of acid creeping up your spine and everything definately feels lucid. just my experience !!!
do you recall how it was made? I'm sure fresh wormwood makes all of the difference in the world.

kill_blind_elite

Post by kill_blind_elite » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm making some blue lotus absinth and i will post a recipe here in a few days.