Preserving and Pickling

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.
Capsaicin

Preserving and Pickling

Post by Capsaicin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm interested in making a bunch of pickles and sauerkraut/kimchi this summer/fall.

My questions are, which methods are the traditional ones that do not need the bottles to be boiled.

Is vinegar alone a preservative or would I have to mix that with brine or water?

What temperature is best for fermenting or to leave the pickled foods in?

What other vegetables/fruits can be pickled or fermented to be kept until next growing season?

My only experience with canning is frying up a bunch of jalapenos and habaneros with white vinegar. Then allowing them to cool then filling up the jar with peanut oil and just leaving it in room temperature. I prefer not to use a fridge because I do not have one. I occasionally eat the hot peppers. They taste good. I had some garlic in there but for fear of botulism I threw it out. Now that I've been reading I could of used a brine or vinegar instead of oil.

I'm not looking to keep food for a long but the information on how long they keep is good too. I hear sauerkraut can ferment for months before it's ready

Thank you
"The white man says, there is freedom and justice for all. We have had "freedom and justice," and that is why we have been almost exterminated. We shall not forget this. " -Tecumseh

maybe

Re: Preserving and Pickling

Post by maybe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 am

Hey,

You should check out a book called "wild fermentation" by Sandor Katz. Your right, lots of foods have been fermented traditionally so they do not need to be refrigerated. It's really easy and good for you. Here is a video of Sandor that may be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77hU3zR-fQ
"Man is not alone on this planet. He is part of a community, upon which he depends absolutely." -ishmael

xeaonerecords

Re: Preserving and Pickling

Post by xeaonerecords » Tue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm

It is good that you have written your experience and I like it, so when you will get new experience than I hope that you will write it again, when we are talking about food and drinks than every time you will get very different taste, it is main hobby of everybody, without it human body can not live it.