Curious German Spirit

This is the place to discuss wine, mead, beer, spirits, concoctions, techniques, additives, etc.
Foxglove

Curious German Spirit -

Post by Foxglove » Sat May 05, 2007 7:24 pm

Hey there!
Its a lovely Saturday evening and I just tried a potent honey liqueur and was wondering if anyone has any background info.

I am pretty buzzed this very moment...but it is an extremely odd body buzz that I dont feel normally.

The liqueur is called Barenjager. It is a wonderful honey liqueur.

I am curious about the area where it is produced. It is suposedly produced & bottled in Steinhagen.

What are those little German bees are dining on over there?!?! *Whew*

Anyone heard of it?

I am partial to French liqueurs...but I must say...this one is making my top shelf!

Lemmiwinks

Re: Curious German Spirit -

Post by Lemmiwinks » Sat May 05, 2007 8:13 pm

That stuff is great! Its especially good in tea...

EROCx1

Post by EROCx1 » Sun May 06, 2007 2:24 am

Yes its good, I had some many years ago. There is a Polish one thats good too if I'm not mistaken it has Sage in as well. There are many psychoactive honey's. From bee's who collect from psychoactive plants worldwide. Such as Xtabentún and another made from bee's who collect from T. corymbosa, Brugmansia, etc. Not sure if they are the same as Barenjager but thanks for reminding me about psychoactive honey's. I kinda forgot about them.

Foxglove

Post by Foxglove » Sun May 06, 2007 9:24 am

I bet it would be perfect for tea!

I will definately attempt to do a little research and find out what kind of plants dwell in that particular area. Interesting stuff.

I am thinking I could make a fantastic little herbal syrup using this as a base!

I just had to restock my little bar...
I have two bottles of the French stuff on the way (Benedictine D.O.M & Chartreuse).
The thing I really dig is the history behind many of these potions! Chartreuse for example...only three brothers (Carthusian monks) at any given time know the formula. These guys know the names of the 130 plants and how to blend and distill them. Its a closely guarded recipe! Developed back in 1605!!!
I can appreciate a secret like that!

I wish we could be so vigillant with our entheogens.

These guys had the right idea.

So...I have this theory about the monks (as an aside). I dont think they were ALL men...in the beginning. I have been thinking about how many of these great cathedrals and monestaries were built right over sacred pagan ground. It makes sense that most of the plants that these guys were fiddling with were already there and being used by people before them. Dang 'witches/savages' had all the knowledge...I think a few of them were snatched and made to shave their heads! "Show us what you know and we'll let you live."

Foxglove

Post by Foxglove » Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 am

If anyone knows German, I could use an interpreter!

Deutsches Erzeugnus

OstpreuBischer Barenfang

Clues on the bottle that I miss due to my mono-lingual western ignorance!

EROCx1

Post by EROCx1 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:39 pm

Lol, the first line says "Made in Germany" The second has to do with Bear trapping I think. Not positive, but its something like that.

Eastern European herbal liquors rocks. With the obvious one being Absinthe. There are others. Many contain Sage which of course has Thujone similar to Absinthe just lower alcohol content. We should compile a list of the good ones. Let us know what you think of Green Chartreuse, Ive always wanted to try it. Do you buy them locally or are you ordering from over seas? I have a local Eastern European Grocery store who carries allot of Baltic Beer and liquors.

Many beers with 9% alcohol. :drinkin':

Foxglove

Post by Foxglove » Sun May 06, 2007 1:57 pm

There is a very large online source that I will post on the Vendors Forum if there is any interest. They have an ENORMOUS stock...good prices as well (cheaper than the local stores, anyhow). Mostly imports. Some RARE single malt Scotch! Saw one bottle of Absinthe !

Heehee...thanks for the help with German. I only know a couple of choice words from this soldier I use to hang out with...he learned much of the language when he was stationed over there!

I think there IS a bear trapped in that bottle!!!

I could PM you with that website addy if ya like Eroc. Interested?
No beer...but PLENTY of other stuff!

Burning_Copal
Location: a finite mortal body somewhere in PNW. How about you ?

Post by Burning_Copal » Sun May 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Barenjager is wonderful liqour, I like it with a good sparkling mineral water diluted down to about the strength of wine. Wonderful this way, but too darn easy to drink, your shnockered before you even know it.

EROCx1 , If you happen to remember the name of the polish made honey liqour you mentioned, I'd love to know :)

oaxaca

Post by oaxaca » Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 am

Just wondering if youve got round to trying out the Chartreuse or D.O.M. Benedictine yet foxglove? are the herbal flavours noticeable or is the alcohol a bit too strong? I sometimes wish these drinks were made without the high % so that I could get away with drinking them more often :p

Ive been doing a lot of reading up on these two liqueurs, thanks for bringing them to peoples' attention!

EROCx1

Post by EROCx1 » Wed May 23, 2007 2:28 pm

I finally got to try Agwa de Bolivia Coca Liqueur. Its the liqueur from Amsterdam made with Bolivian Coca Leaf, Ginseng and Guarana + extra Caffeine. It taste great and the alcohol content is not too high. Perfect for partying all night.
[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/all_coholic.gif" alt=":drinkin':" title="drinkin'" />