Alpinia Zerumbet

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
KT Botanicals

Alpinia Zerumbet

Post by KT Botanicals » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 am

Thought I would share a bit of my research again. I hope you enjoy.
20121024_130522 (Small).jpg
20121024_130522 (Small).jpg (85.83 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
This was found 3 weeks ago in Oahu in the jungle on near the big Manoa mountain.

Alpinia Zerumbet is one of the only other plants that contains Kavalactones. This is interesting to me because in studying Polynesian languages on my journys to obtain world class Kava, there are many similarities between the Polynesian name for Alpinia Zerumbet and kava. I will summarize a bit of the linguistic research that I have found:

The following are the names of various plants that are referred to as types of "Kava" plants in different regions:

Papua New G. - "*kawa-pui " / "*kawa-pusi" refers to a plant in the zingiber family.
East Uvean - "kavapui" refers to a Zingiber species
Hawaiian - "awapuhi" 'wild ginger (Zingiber zerumbet)
Samoan - "'avapui" refers to a member of the Zingiber or Geanthus families
Tikopia - "kavapui" refers to a plant of the ginger family
Tahitian - "avapuhi" 'an odoriferous plant

As you can see, in every kava drinking region, they refer to SOME magical ginger plant as Kava-pui. Some cultures even state explicitly that A. Zerumbet is what they are referring to as Kava-pui. I don't know what the pui part means, but I think its an interesting coincidence that a plant with Kavalactones and opiate pain killing activity, growing in abundance in the same regions, is referred to as Kava-anything.

Who cares?

Aside from having opiate mediated pain killing activity that is reversed at least partially by Naloxone, containing Kavalactones, having a high level of antioxidants, being anti cancer, and inhibiting the replication of HIV, it also carries with it many of the other wonderful effects that the ginger family is known for- Anti-inflammatory, stomach settling etc.. I have been working with it for the past year and have had excellent results at 10-14g of Rhizome. I do a water extract, which is what many studies found to be most efficient at pulling out the broad spectrum of goodies in the plant. However, due to the various mechanisms of action that this plant has, I would think that some things will be soluble in Alcohols, some in water, others in more exotic solvents. Basically EVERY fraction of this material is active that I have tested. This makes it REALLY frustrating to get a high potency extract. Regardless, its potent enough on its own. I just make it like my Kava. I sometimes mix it half and half with my Kava as well. It is blissful and lasts for hours.

Heres a few interesting conclusions from the studies that have been done on it:

Conclusions The essential oil of A. zerumbet leaves had depressant and possible antipsychotic activity, since it could reverse the stereotypy induced by apomorphine, presenting effects comparable with those obtained with haloperidol treatment.

Conclusions The essential oil of A. zerumbet leaves had depressant and possible antipsychotic activity, since it could reverse the stereotypy induced by apomorphine, presenting effects comparable with those obtained with haloperidol treatment.

Zingiber Zerumbet, or shampoo ginger ALSO has the goods:
20121024_130031 (Small).jpg
20121024_130031 (Small).jpg (171.1 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
Also took this pic in the Manoa Jungle.

MEZZ (25, 50, and 100 mg/kg; given subcutaneously) and EOZZ (30, 100, and 300 mg/kg; given intraperitoneally) demonstrated that the extract and oil exhibited significant antinociceptive activity at the peripheral and central levels when assessed using the writhing, hot plate, and formalin tests [6, 14]. Interestingly, the antinociceptive activity of MEZZ and EOZZ was attenuated by 5 mg/kg naloxone indicating that the antinociceptive activity observed was modulated partly via the opioid receptor system.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2011/543216/

Language info on Kava-Pui references
Sources: Potent Roots and the Origin of kava
Author(s): John LynchReviewed work(s):Source: Oceanic Linguistics, Vol. 41, No. 2 (Dec., 2002), pp. 493-513Published by: University of Hawai'i PressStable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3623318 .Accessed: 05/11/2012
Last edited by KT Botanicals on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

minderbinder

Re: Alpinia Zerumbet

Post by minderbinder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:52 am

wow, great!
thanks a lot for your report!
got to look up for some plants of this ginger!
Bhagwan told me not to worry. If i do it'll make me sorry. Alright.

KT Botanicals

Post by KT Botanicals » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:59 am

Yes the plants are easily available. The ones that I see however are the variegated ones. I honestly don't know what the constituents are of these commercially available ones. I do have two of them growing anyhow so that when the rhizomes are mature I can run a GCMS and compare it with the non variegated ones. We shall see. In the mean time I am off to the jungle next week and will be working with the Zingerber zerumbet plant extensively. Wish me luck.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:30 am

Your wish shall be granted ;)

Good luck!

ps.: no, really - im strongly interested in hearing more!
you probably aren't interested in an old, half lame, but enthusiastic adjunct reagrding djungle-tour and plant work? ;)

LazyBotanicals

Post by LazyBotanicals » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:33 pm

How interesting! You say it has kava-like lactones and is regulated by the opioid pathways? Kavalactones are regulated by the GABA pathways - the only isolate from the a. zarumbet I can find is 7,8-dihydro-dehydroxykavain, but I cannot find any binding or agonist info. It would be very cool to find lactones with opiate activity. So far there are cannabinoid and gaba-inihibiting lactones fully elucidated and isolated, I wonder if there are lactones out there that are capable of affecting the nmda or ht receptors...

Keep us updated! Especially if you find any lactone bearing plant with a high percentage of yangonin - thats a personal favorite of mine :)
http://www.lazybotanicals.com - 100% natural blends, incenses, aromas, caps, supplements, and novelties. Bulk deals available, contact us via website for more info!

KT Botanicals

Post by KT Botanicals » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Both dihydro-5,6-dehydrokawain, (DDK) and 5,6-dehydrokawain (Desmethoxyyangonin) have been isolated from A. Zerumbet. The latter is an MAOI. Yangonin which may or may not be naturally present in the plant, but may be a product of the breakdown of its desmethoxy version, also binds, albeit very weakly, to cb1 receptors. Its binding is at 1% that of delta nine. However, when you consider that roughly 5mg of D9 is required for the oral route, and Kavalactones make up large percentages of the plants that they are found in, its very plausible that yangonin could have an appreciable effect, ESPECIALLY with the binding at GABA-A, and the MAOI activity. Funny enough the study that showed the cb1 activity of yangonin said right up front that desmethoxyyangonin wasn't available at the time and so it was the only Kavalactone not tested for cb1 cb2 FAAH activity. Isn't that about right... the one that I am working with, I don't get to know anything about it.

I'm hoping to explain the activity of A. Zerumbet. DDK and Desmethoxyyangonin aren't the only two things at work in this plant... this is for sure. There are many opiate lactones out there... catnip comes to mind. Perhaps we'll find another one in this plant, likely not a kavalactone but it wouldn't suprise me at all to find an opiate lactone being that the same fraction that contains the lactones is ALSO containing the naloxone reversible analgesic.

So I suppose an interesting experiment would be the combination of a strong FAAH (Botanically derived) along with a good potent extract of Kava or Alpinia and see what we get.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Great info, thanks a lot!

hopefully the maoi-activity of Desmethoxyyangonin isn't too distinct - just from a practical, rather egoistic point of view, i fear that my SSRI's might interfere. Have a bag of seeds coming, but it will probably take at least a year untill i can get a small tester ...

ps.: seems it's kavalactone-time, unexpected sources keep popping up, for example "Coz the Shroom"s very informative thread on "mountain kava"

witchammer

Post by witchammer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 pm

great research as always.

teeko

Post by teeko » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am

Any new news on this?

Is it worth searching for? As floridata and some other sites seem to say its growing in my area. Plus, I could swear this stuff is growing right down the street from here, 4 minute walk.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

kill_blind_elite

Post by kill_blind_elite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

seriously teeko ? go check it out man thats a good find. thanx kt I am seriously interested in this plant now ... and minder .... do you think you could pm me about the vendor you used to get the seeds ? I'm thinking of growing it myself I may make an essential oil of this for my massages if it would be at all worth trying. I'm on this essential oil kick right now and was wondering if there would be another way to extract the alkaloids being that heat kills lactones . you guys should check out that post I put up for kavasseur because there is a vendor that he made a review on. and from what I gather it's a great extract and they use a process involving co2 for extraction of lactones and the extract is very active unlike all that shit we used to buy seven or so years ago.If anyone was a little more dapper at making extracts than me and had access to the equiptment it might be worth the time!