Kratom and the common cold

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
Nikola

Kratom and the common cold

Post by Nikola » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

I started to feel sick like a dog, plus the heating in my house isn't working properly.
So I took around 5 grams of Bali, and after 20 minutes, I feel much much better and I'm not cold anymore.
Is this real help or will I feel even worse tomorrow morning? Anyone know the science behind this?
I googled a bit but haven't found anything conclusive. Could it be connected to histamine?
"Can you tell the difference between gold and a lump of coal?"

jbmac

Re: Kratom and the common cold

Post by jbmac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:25 pm

confusing are you feeling cold or having a cold. I find Kratom like opiates drys me up when I have too much phlem

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Both, it's -16C here and I'm having a cold.

Dr Zzz

Post by Dr Zzz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Damn here it's only -7 and I have NO heating, can't afford it. The WC is not working anymore. It's frozen... And I have a cold too. I do not have any kratom but I see how it could help. Opioids are good a generating a feeling of eat, and at countering the symptoms of cold.

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 pm

dang, I feel rich, I currently am in a heated home, I got bills up the wazoo, but working on stuff to correct that. A can of sterno might work better than kratom? to keep warm.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:11 am

Dr Zzz, oh shit, best of luck to you! Hope this cold wave passes very soon.
Looks like kratom really does help. I don't feel sick any more.

witchammer

Post by witchammer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 am

It might make you feel better while it's effects are felt but if your anything like me the next day you are run down andyour immune system probably isn't working up to par and that is not good for a cold.

KT Botanicals

Post by KT Botanicals » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 pm

I have always had a similar experience. I combine cat's claw kratom and ginger as a decent, immediate cold remedy. Some may argue that since Kratom is an opiate that it will stone the immune system. Kratom is actually immune-modulating, sharing many of the same alkaloids that cat's claw contains for the immune system. I have always notice almost immediate relief when I am feeling sick, and arguably a decent bump in immune function to fight the crap off quicker.

jbmac

Post by jbmac » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:34 am

I have always had a theory that usually pans out, that one should treat the symptom of a disease rather than the cause. EG, if I have a dry constant cough I will take what I can to stop the cough, (kidding) semi lethal cough syrup, etc, because I know if I suppress the cough it will stop the sore throat and other problems. I find back pain heals quicker if I take muscle relaxer and pain killers to mask the pain, like my body senses there is no pain so it heals to confirm that. I know this only partially true, yet I know it is partially true.

Dr Zzz

Post by Dr Zzz » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:58 am

You are indeed partially true. And infection in the lungs can generate a bad (dry) cough which will in turn irritate the throat, potentially causing it to be infected as well. This is a case where the body reaction can be "optimized".

My current cold won't go away, according to my doctor I'm immunodepressed as far as the throat is concerned. I can only fight the symptoms, have the best day possible, and the morning after I'll wake up ill again. I'm taking everyday 500 mg vitamin C (good for fighting infections), 500 mg vitamin E (good for mucous tissues) and a good chunk of rhodiola. Rhodiola is immunostimulant, but it has also a feel good effects that helps masquerating the symptoms.