Anxiety remedies

This is the plant discussion forum. Here we can discuss all other entheogenic plants, historical use, preparations, etc.
clockwisevortex

Re: Anxiety remedies -

Post by clockwisevortex » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:48 am

Apart from the regularly consumed herbs and entheogens which serve to control or mask the symptoms of anxiety/nervousness, I feel it is important to feed yourself with tonics that work more deeply on the nervous system.
Oatmeal used to help relieve anxiety very well for me back when I could eat it before becoming intolerant to gluten/oat proteins. A very efficacious nerve tonic.
I also used to take a few drops daily from tincture of blue vervain, which I need to get back to.
Eleuthero root extract works well to relieve insomnia or irritability from anxiety without the side effects that one may experience from other tonics like the ginsengs, rodiola rosea, gynostemma or schisandra.

Also, if you are looking for a sleep aid... I find that mixing in a teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder into a cup of hot peppermint tea creates a very interesting and intensely relaxing effect. It has put me to sleep on many occasions.
Last edited by clockwisevortex on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Zzz

Post by Dr Zzz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 am

clockwisevortex wrote:Oatmeal used to help relieve anxiety very well for me back when I could eat it before becoming intolerant to gluten/oat proteins. A very efficacious nerve tonic.
I also used to take a few drops daily from tincture of blue vervain, which I need to get back to.
I've heard good things about oat, but never tried it.
Blue vervain (if you'r talking about verbena officinalis) is a good sedative. Never used it in the context of anxiety.

clockwisevortex

Post by clockwisevortex » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:15 am

Dr Zzz wrote:
Blue vervain (if you'r talking about verbena officinalis) is a good sedative. Never used it in the context of anxiety.
Verbena officinalis is the common vervain, which I've not become acquainted with. Taxonomy for blue vervain is Verbena hastata... which is a mild to moderate nervine sedative. Taken in minute doses throughout the day it acts very effectively for some reason, but without any obvious sedation.

LINK

Post by LINK » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:01 am

hillshaman wrote:I disagree with the flax, assuming you are a male, as it has an estrogenic effect on the system, and this perceived bodily imbalancecan create issues for the immune system. Fish oil is a good alternative, as well as GLA (Gamma Linoleic Acid)
A nice side effect may be fast hair growth!

I don't agree with you. I was on a lecture with a really great dietitian who claimed flax seeds actually acts as a estrogen blocker! So I did some research (a couple of years ago) and all sign showed he was right.

The best example is Lilian Thompson PhD's work that showed that oral ground flax seed reduced breast cancer size between the time of diagnosis and surgery. The phytoestrogen contained in the flax seed binds to the estrogen receptor, but does not stimulate it. The flax seed phytoestrogen competes with other estrogens that would otherwise stimulate the estrogen receptor. The flax seed phytoestrogen acts as a blocker. In contrast, a strong phytoestrogen may actually make the disease worse.

http://www.cyst101.com/phyto.htm

sputnik3

Post by sputnik3 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:46 am

i have been working on isolating the verbena actives and found them to be very effective its mostly overlooked herbal that will suprise you when isolated.
flax seed MMMM very interesting might have to research that alittle deeper
peace
thanx

JohnS99

Post by JohnS99 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm

salviasofthead wrote:I'll second the rhodiola rosea - along with vitamin B complex and flax seed oil (or other omega-3 rich supplement). These also help greatly with dysthymia (low grade, longstanding depression). Beats St. John's Wort hands-down.

ssh
I've had wonderful success with the Rhodiola. I tried at first from Rhodiola rootstock that I got in a local herbalist shop. (I was unable to grow Rhodiola from seed.) My first experience wasn't all that palatable. I made a horrible tasting tea per a Russian recipe I found on the net, and it was yucky, but I had a "taste" of the mental effects and I wanted more. SO, I started doing the research and found some good brands of extracts sold in the USA from Siberian roots. ********* are just a few. I tried these and also some store brands from Vitamin Shoppe. The store stuff didn't do anything, but the others are really outstanding. I'm using ******** now every day and highly recommend it for anxiety. I feel it within 30 minutes, a soothing kind of feeling. Makes my meditation much more powerful also.
Last edited by cowfodder on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twinks

Post by twinks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Golden root is pretty cool,once you get past the taste,but I work with the powdered root and can't get the right dose-1/2 tsp. maybe?

Boost

Post by Boost » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I have recently been using the Rapture pills from ***, and it seems to have a very energizing and uplifting effect on me. One of the few things that really works. Not sure if it's placebo effect or I will build a tolerance but so far I plan on ordering more since I have been in a greatly improved mood and energy levels since using Rapture. Not bad.
Last edited by salviasofthead on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no vendor names/references outside the vendor forums

Boost

Post by Boost » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:26 pm

You may want to try cocoa (raw, organic). My mom was suffering a depression anxiety attack at a baby shower I attended recently. She was frozen in her chair and her face was looking like she just ate a pound of lime and ready to cry. I gave her a small portion of Kona Kava chocolate chips and told her that it releases endorphins and has caffeine. Shortly after consuming about 1/4 cup she was on her feet and all around the party actually smiling and talking to people. She says it worked for her. Good luck I hope you feel better. I just ordered some Mind Body & Spirit after reading this thread. I'm depressed too.

Solomon

Post by Solomon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

How bad anxiety are we talking about? Is it a very big problem that hinders your day to day life or just the usual anxiety most people get? If it's the first then i don't think you will find anything in the natural world, if it's the second then like other people have suggested...kava if you respond well to it,mulungu be it extract or bark tea.Although i prefer bark for anxiety,mind relaxation and extract for a sleeping aid. Some people have responded well to taking rhodiola rosea, try that for 4 weeks or so and see if it helps, may balance you a bit. If your anxiety only happens occasionally then maybe try a certain nootropic, cant say it on here but pm if you want. Kanna is good for a mood boost sometimes, i use it to potentiate other things. I don't think it would help with anxiety though, and on the odd ocassion it can worsen it(use too much). Magnolia extract, a thread on this the now may help. More simple but effective if the anxiety is not bad are lemon balm,catnip,chamomile teas etc Alot better than you would think if you get quality products and mix them in varying quantities. Drink it throughout the day.