Hygrocybe Psittacina

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
Tinkal

Hygrocybe Psittacina -

Post by Tinkal » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:34 pm

Here in Greece, there is a mushroom called Hygrocybe Psittacina. It̢۪s very beautiful in it̢۪s slimy green stage. I recently heard that they contain psilocybe. Can anyone tell me more about that mushroom?

Mjshroomer

Re: Hygrocybe Psittacina -

Post by Mjshroomer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:54 pm

Very beautiful imagery there biut no. Hygrocybe mushrooms do not contain any psilocine/psilocybine regarless of what you may or may not have heard. One Hygrocybe is sometimes referred to as a "witch's cap."

Still nice image.

mj

mutant

Post by mutant » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:34 am

Yep beautiful green mushroom

amamark

Post by amamark » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:20 am

Coincidentally, there is some info about hygrophorus/hygrocybe conica (“Witch’s Cap”) being active. The effects don’t sound like psilocybin. Sounds more narcotic. Apparently it’s very potent. It has to be the hc strain that bruises black. There is something in one of the filed guides about it; can’t remember which one.

mutant

Post by mutant » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 pm

You propably mean Hygrocybe conica
some google images of H.conica
Actually this mushroom blackens with age [or maybe if injured], maybe this is the reason for this myth ?

Never heard of any psychoactivity. None of my books says something about it, only that it's toxic or of uknown edibility I think. It's a common mushroom. Please quote it when/if you find it...

Please give us your sources or experiences, till then, I strongly doubt your statement. :)
Last edited by mutant on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amamark

Post by amamark » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:58 pm

mutant wrote:You propably mean Hygrocybe conica
some google images of H.conica
Actually this mushroom blackens with age [or maybe if injured], maybe this is the reason for this myth ?

Never heard of any psychoactivity. None of my books says something about it, only that it's toxic or of uknown edibility I think. It's a common mushroom. Please quote it when/if you find it...

Please give us your sources or experiences, till then, I strongly doubt your statement. :)

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hygrocybe_conica.html

"Larry Stickney, chef extrordinaire, meandering mainstay of the Mycological Society of San Franciso . . . says [Hygrocybe conica] 'elicited an odd sensation of lightheadedness and numbness' when he tried it" (Arora, 117).

In what is probably the most popular field guide on the market, Gary Lincoff (1981) says: "Although eaten by many people, this species is reported to have caused 4 deaths in China; some believe it is also hallucinogenic" (659).

More here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/show...Number/5778905

--------------------------

A foaf said that he ate one small mushroom and he fell down and couldn’t get up for a long time, and that it was so strong he hated it and would never do it again.

mutant

Post by mutant » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks man, interesting...

still , Mushroomexpert.com goes on:
The belief is strong enough that some of the various Web sites that sell spores and spawn kits for hallucinogenic mushrooms like Psilocybe cubensis (possessing only the spores or spawn is legal in most states) make mention of the witch's hat. Then again, many people in the crowd that pursues hallucinogenic mushrooms are, um, not very reliable for scientific information; some are not at all interested in learning anything about mushrooms, cruising through Web sites like this one or flipping hastily through field guides, then going out to pick little, nondescript mushrooms and eat them. People like this might be the source of the reports of hallucinogenic properties. First, because of some association with the common name "witch's cap" ("Hey, m-a-a-a-n, it's magical!"), and second, because some of the psilocybin mushrooms bruise and stain strongly dark blue (not black; blue)--a fact that could have been misread and mis-applied by some stoner who ate so many mushrooms that he had no idea which one it actually was that made the walls bleed.
The shroomery link and couldn't at all be coined as credible, the guy who states it's active hasn't any coherent thought . Cool you gave the links though....

You would be surprised how many mistakes there are in field guides, especially old ones. A writer of a great book could also include some odd story he was told stating "some say that.." or "some believe that..". For example, how many filed guides mention that amanita gemmata are psychoactive in the vein of A.muscaria & A.pantherina ? None or little - and those who do mention it are the newer ones... How many mention that A.pantherina is deadly poisonous ? Almost every one! [truth is it's not so dangerous, only very potent psychoactive] Or how many older field guides mention that Gyromitra esculenta & Paxillus involutus is edible? - many of them, as people have been eating these mushrooms as edible for many years... {they are deadly poisonous and every book stated this nowadays}

MightyBeast

Re: Hygrocybe psittacina

Post by MightyBeast » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:45 am

I found this page when researching the Appendix 1 to the 2005 UK Drugs Act. This is a list of species identified as containing "psilocin or esters of psilocin" and Hygrocybe psittacina in included in the "possible but not confirmed category". I think this must be the origin of the reports. This appendix to the legislation that specifically outlawed possession of the fungi, as well as the already illegal psychoactive constituents psilocin and psilocybin, gives the following publication as its source:

Preliminary list of British Fungi reported to contain psilocybin/psilocin.
N.B. This list may be incomplete and should be treated as provisional.
Based on: Rätsch, A. (2005). The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants. Ethnopharmacology and it Applications. Park Street Press.

I tried to copy the entire list of species to this post but this causes it to be rejected as spam.

quantumbrujo

Re: Hygrocybe Psittacina

Post by quantumbrujo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:46 pm

with the availability of spores and the ease to grow cubensis it's a shroomthusiast's best and safest option rather than picking wild and not being 100% sure what he/she's ingesting
I used to have a signature but now I don't for the moment