Panther Caps

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
BiffCo1138

Panther Caps

Post by BiffCo1138 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Anyone have experience or recommendations on where to start with these bad boys, they're growing all around me. Swim has had some prior experiences with the Fly Agaric.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

fmrc

Re: Panther Caps

Post by fmrc » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm

I would not mess with them. If you do, you will remember my warning. They can be 10 to 20 times more powerful than A. muscaria. slp/fmrc

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am

Thank you for the prompt response! I will proceed no further.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

freeman stephen
Location: A small independent microstate landlocked by Scotland, just outside Glasgow

Post by freeman stephen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 am

They are just going out of season here but Im having difficulty telling the difference between panthercap and false panthercap. I wouldnt consider consuming either but in my situation Im expected to know exactly what all the plants are around here. Also need information on dark centred hebeloma lookalikes.

fmrc

Post by fmrc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 am

This may help: The white warts on the brown cap will often times be shapped like pyramids. The gills will be free....not touching the stalk as all Amanita. The stalk will have a roll or collar where it and the bulb meet. It will be smooth above and hairy below this ring. It will have no odor but many suggest that you do not even taste. If you have Melzer's Reagent, the true Panther will not have any reactions....Nonamyloid. It of course will have a white spore print. Microscopy for spores: elliptic, smooth, entire, thin walled - 9-12 X 6.5-8.0 microns. Hope this helps. slp/fmrc

freeman stephen
Location: A small independent microstate landlocked by Scotland, just outside Glasgow

Post by freeman stephen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm

90% sure its a false panther (amanita spissa). I guess I could eat one and ask the trees what it is. If they answer back, then its a true panther. :) Thanks for your help.

What is the best mushroom ident online. Rogers mushrooms is limited and bizarrely will not allow you to search by decurrence/striate/etc, but its the best Ive managed to find. Unless its a cep or a bracket, it all comes down to a certain percentage of surity.

fmrc

Post by fmrc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 am

Perhaps someone else can help here. I don't use any online mushroom ID thingies. slp/fmrc

flickedbic

Post by flickedbic » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Have you tried uploading pictures at the Shroomery Mushroom Hunting and I.D. Board?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/3
All readable matter in the above post is ficticious.

Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Without prejudice.

freeman stephen

Post by freeman stephen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:32 pm

No but I found a cracking mushroom ident that works on a hasbeen android http://www.mycokey.com/newMycoKeySite/M ... Quick.html