$11 Million Mushroom Bust In Texas

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
Stephen L. Peele

$11 Million Mushroom Bust In Texas -

Post by Stephen L. Peele » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:07 pm

Anyone here ever hear of a guy named Joe Ben Patrick (53)? He was cought with 25 pounds of psilocybin mushroooms in Clay County, TX. Get this. The article in the Times Record News, Wichita Falls, TX 6/11/2004, my reference here that was sent in by one of our IMGN Memebers, says this! "They crush them up and smoke um." Hum, learn something everyday from law enforcement. But here is the biggest thing I learned, and is probably new news to all of you....."Broken down, the 25 pounds of mushrooms found in the Tuesday's busts held more than a million dosage units. ....
Department of Public Safety narcotic investigator Jim Blake said those doses would likely sell on the street for about $10 each, following a numerical formula DPS uses. He said the $11 million price tag sounds high, but its what the department's computerized system rang up!" Did you know that 25 lbs. of mushrooms was worth $11 million! I sure didn't. I will put the entire story in the next "TEO" Journal. It can be read when published at [url=http://www.mushroomsfmrc.com...........slp/fmrc]www.mushroomsfmrc.com...........slp/fmrc[/url]

laughingwillow

Re: $11 Million Mushroom Bust In Texas -

Post by laughingwillow » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:52 pm

Wet or dry?

Doesn't sound like that computer knows how to do math very well. Or them's some strong shrooms.

My calculations show 25 lbs broken down to grams comes to 11,200. At $10 a pop, that would come to $112,000.

According to their calculations, shrooms are active in the microgram dose range. (Looks like they skipped right over miligrams in their flight from reality. hehe) man, thats whatcha call over zealous prosecution, there. The guy jumped two decimal places.

lw

phalaris

Post by phalaris » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:58 pm

OMG!! Not Joey??

Joey, Joey [img]Disappointed_anim.gif[/img] Why didnt you listen to mom & stay outta trouble? Momma warned you bout' those Evil Cowboys & their heavy drug use! If only you woulda listened to Momma. I don't know if I can help you this time bro, I hear those Right Wing Texans have a Hot-Seat designed for Evil Doers like you! Heck, those Texans even made it all the way to that Big White House up in Washington & now they run the place.
God be with ya Bro, I'll be prayin' for ya!
Peace, Phalaris

Mjshroomer

Post by Mjshroomer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:02 am

I investigated this from start to finish even writing Jessica Langford who later corrected some of the errors but not all and did not mention me bringing her bad story to her notice and her correcting the errors she help perpetuate.

Here is the story.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Times Record News

Police seize millions in drugs

Sizeable mushroom bust said to be one of biggest on record

By Jessica Langdon/Times Record News
June 11, 2004

Investigators look over psilocybin mushrooms seized during a search Tuesday in Clay County. Officers seized a total of 25 pounds during their investigation.

Mushroom Seizure by the Numbers

Psilocybin mushrooms seized: 25 pounds

Dosage units: 1.13 million

Total value: $11.35 million

Drug officers from several agencies made a rare find in Clay County this week.

They made a mushroom bust bigger than anything the North Texas Drug Task Force has seen before.

Investigators Tuesday turned up 25 pounds of psilocybin mushrooms - hallucinogenic drugs - with a street value topping $11 million.

One Clay County residence housed 21 pounds of the mushrooms, investigators said.

"We were kind of amazed at the value," Wichita Falls police Sgt. Cindy Walker said.

Investigators said if it wasn't the largest seizure of its kind in North Texas, it was one of the largest.

Wichita Falls undercover officers, Department of Public Safety narcotics officers and the Clay County Sheriff's Department conducted the investigation.

Task Force Investigator Chris Taylor said the probe started after an arrest in Dallas-Fort Worth several weeks ago produced some information.

One person was arrested in Wichita County, he said, and another arrest was pending in Clay County.

"It was involving the mushrooms that were being grown in the Petrolia area that were going to other parts of the state," Taylor said. He said officers tracked distribution all the way to Austin.

Joe Ben Patrick, 53, of Clay County was charged with unlawful delivery or manufacture with intent to deliver a simulated controlled substance in connection with an incident June 8. His bond was set at $10,000, and he was not being held Thursday in the Wichita County Jail.

There is no field test for psilocybin mushrooms, and investigators are waiting for results of other tests, which is why the charge addresses a "simulated controlled substance."

The arrest affidavit gave this description of the incident:

Someone cooperating with the investigation arranged to have 3 pounds of mushrooms delivered.

The person who delivered those mushrooms also cooperated, saying he's bought mushrooms in the past from the suspect in this case. He said that's where the 3 pounds of mushrooms he delivered came from.

That witness arranged with the suspect to have 1 pound delivered, the affidavit said. That led to the search warrant in Clay County, a press release from the Wichita Falls Police Department stated. Officers found "where the psilocybin mushrooms were being cultivated," the release stated. They seized the mushrooms and hauled the evidence away in bags and glass jars. The jars filled a roomful of shelves.

"I think we made a significant dent," said Jim Blake, a DPS narcotics investigator, "even though we didn't know we were having the problem."

Taylor said drug officers - used to working with drugs like methamphetamine - haven't had that many run-ins with mushrooms. He's only seen a few cases in nearly 10 years.

"I've even seized some from people on the streets before," Sgt. Walker said - but never anything of this magnitude.

"We were very lucky that day," Blake said.

Crime reporter Jessica Langdon can be reached at (940) 763-7530 or by email at langdonj(at)TimesRecordNews.com.

Copyright 2004, Times Record News. All Rights Reserved.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mis Langford's Retraction of the above news story after I wrote her about it.

XXXXXXXXXXXxx
XXXXXXXXXXXxx

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/l...972302,00.html

Numbers for drug bust not accurate
Computing error led to overestimation of mushroom doses seized

June 18, 2004

A calculating glitch appears to have caused the dollar amount to mushroom into the millions on a major psilocybin mushroom bust in North Texas.

The 25 pounds of mushrooms seized last week were worth only a fraction of the money authorities originally believed, police said.

The original figure topped $11 million. The North Texas Regional Drug Task Force said that amount was about 25 times too high.

The Task Force, the Wichita Falls Police Department's Organized Crime Unit, Department of Public Safety narcotics officers and the Clay County Sheriff's Department worked together on the investigation. They say the mushroom distribution operation stretched from Wichita Falls to Austin.

The investigation resulted in a large find - 21 pounds of mushrooms - at a Clay County home June 8. Officers also seized a few more pounds from other related incidents, they said.

Drug investigators originally thought the 25 pounds of mushrooms held 1.13 million dosage units, making them worth $11.35 million.

Those are the numbers the DPS computerized reporting system came up with, WFPD Sgt. Cindy Walker said.

But that magic $11 million number didn't go with the magic mushrooms after all - a glitch in the reporting system caused it to calculate the figures as it would for LSD, instead, Walker said. The system separates LSD and "other hallucinogenic drugs," DPS narcotics investigator Jim Blake said after the bust.

Walker said something went wrong in the calculation, and the dosage unit used to determine the value of psilocybin mushrooms is a quarter of a gram. That would add up to 45,400 dosage units in this case instead of more than 1 million. The lower number makes the total value closer to $454,000 at $10 per dosage unit, Walker said.

The Drug Enforcement Agency uses ounces as a basis for figuring out value, and the agency said the prices vary. The United States Department of Justice's Web site says psilocybin mushrooms generally sell for $20 per [ of an ounce, and for $100-$150 per ounce.

Eating the mushrooms causes hallucinations and affects the senses, the DEA reported. It said the drugs can make colors seem brighter and create a mixing of senses like "hearing a color." The drug can also make it hard to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. They're not as popular as many other drugs, the agency said, but they do pop up where young crowds gather - college campuses, parties and raves.

Investigators said the mushrooms were cultivated at the Clay County residence. Officers have made one arrest so far in the local case.

Joe Ben Patrick, 53, of Clay County was charged with unlawful delivery or manufacture with intent to deliver a simulated controlled substance in connection with the June 8 incident. Bond was set at $10,000. He was free from the Wichita County Jail Thursday.

Investigators were still looking into the incident and expected to make another arrest in connection with the case.

Crime reporter Jessica Langdon can be reached at (940) 763-7530 or by email at langdonj(at)TimesRecordNews.com.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mjshroomer
Sage

Reged: 07/21/99
Loc: Somewhere Over the Shroom Bow Re: Numbers for drug bust not accurate [Re: @cro]
#2810557 - 06/20/04 05:24 AM Edit Reply

You can all thank me for straightening out Jessica. IT was my letter to her about this matter which brought out this latestr news Item.

However, she did not apologize for publishing incorrect information given to her by the local police and the DEA. And there are four thousand doses of acisd in a gram so 25 pounds would be a lot more than a million hits. I was trying to copy the letter to Jessica fromt he mycotopia site. I will look into my email folder and see if I have it.

mj

Hold on

Here it is but this reporter did not respond to my email whatsoever.

What a cold coward she is.

My letter to her of last week after this item appeared on the internet

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Your Irresponsible Reporting of Mushroom Bust
To: [url=mailto:langdonj@TimesRecordNews.com]langdonj@TimesRecordNews.com[/url].

Dear Mz. Jessica Langdon,

My name is John W. Allen and I am the author of 9
books, one medical poster, 4 CD-ROM information discs,
including a bibliography of hallucinogenic mushrooms
(2700 published papers, 1700 annotations and 8500
cross-references), and more than three dozen published
papers in respectable scientific and botanical
journals on the subject of hallucinogenic (magic)
mushrooms.

Your recent two editorials on the bust in North Texas
and the party article are wrought with false
information, obviously supplied to you by both your
local drug enforcement task forces as well as by the
DEA.

Psilocybian home grown mushrooms contain approximately
10 doses per dried ounce of mushrooms equaling approx,
280 doses per pound. That would be the equivenelent
of 7000 doses. Not the far-fetched amount you quoted
in your article or what the law enforcement idiots
told you. Printing false information is disgusting.

Those mushrooms basically have a steet value of $20.00
to $35.00 per dose (1/8) of a dried ounce or one ounce
fresh.

One fresh pound of Psilocybe cubensis, the mushrooms
in question, dry to approximately one dried ounce. A
dried ounce of those mushrooms sells for anywhere from
$60.00 to $100.00 dollars per dried ounce.

One dried pound of Psilocybe cubensis retails to
dealers for the sum of $400 to $800 a dried pound.

At $800 per dried pound, that means that 25 pounds of
mushrooms would have a wholesale price of $25,000
dollars. Nowhere the false amount of a million and
above quoted to you and by you in your reporting of
this case.

To begin with, a clinical dosage of Psilocybe cubensis
is from 3-5 dried grams.

While one gram will give a mild inebriation, it is not
the high and the majority of users require at least an
8th of a dried ounce or one ounce fresh. The mushrooms
lose some potency in drying.

So I Am curious as to the sensationalististic
reporting of this incident over responsible journalism
from you by writing about a subject you apparently
have no knowledge of.

Also, you cannot get intoxicated smoking the
mushrooms. That is urban legend, a falsehood
perpetuated in the sixties by Carlos Castaneda in his
fictional book of Don juan.

Additionally, mushrooms were only popular in the
sixties on the east coast with the Harvard Crowd and
studnts living in Florida to Texas where they grow
naturally in manure in pasturelands.

They were never available in the Haight-Ashbury or at
love-ins, Be-Ins, Happenings, etc.

And for more than 25 years I have lectured around the
world in many countries at many Universities and
mushrooms have been a drug of choice at a large
majority of schools of higher learning.

These police lied to you and to your newspaper and you
are responsible or reporting their lies. I hope that
you will investigate these falsehoods and try to
correct the irresponsible report which you have placed
in the public eye. IF not, I will post these
incidents on my site with the many other news items I
have colleted and responded to over the past 30 years.

You would be most welcome to visit my online mushroom
website, the largest source of Psilocbine information
on the web with more than 2800 photographs of 55 of
the more than 190 known species of mushrooms which
contain the chemicals psilocine and/or psilocybine.

Mushroom John's Shroom World

http://www.mushroojohn.com

My published papers

http://www.mushromjohn.com/articles.htm

Dozens of Mushroom related news items and a section on
Mushroom Busts around the USA, Busts of from 50 to
500 pounds. Again, false information provided to you
by these drug enforcement agents who are full of it
and my god did you fall for their story.

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/news.htm

Best regards,

John W. Allen
Visit http://www.mushroomjohn.com

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ANd she could not respond to my mail, but saw fuit to cover her ass with an excuse of machinery failure.

--------------------
Remember we can all be better than we really are!

http://www.mushroomjohn.com

http://www.releasethereality.com/mjart.html

From Redo:
Numbers for drug bust not accurate [Re: mjshroomer]
#2811963 - 06/20/04 08:16 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
mjs you should run the media, nothing like somebody with those great credentials mailing a naive reporter .

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mjshroomer

Post by Mjshroomer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:12 am

Here is another story from Crime reporter Jessica Langford. Who is apparently a real stupid woman.

This was after the initial story and before her retraction after me mailing her a letter.

XXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Police say 'shrooms,' popular party drug, hitting campuses

June 11, 2004

Drug officers know them as psilocybin mushrooms.

That's a mouthful for the substance known on the street as "shrooms," "mushies" or "Mexican Magic Mushrooms."

They're the same ones that popped up all over the psychedelic '60s, police said, and they have a hallucinogenic effect - similar to LSD.

Mushrooms aren't as popular as many other drugs, the Drug Enforcement Agency reported, but they often appear on college campuses, clubs and raves.

Chris Taylor with the North Texas Regional Drug Task Force said mushroom users follow several recipes for taking the drug. Methods include:

--Eating them;

--Crushing them, then smoking them and

--Putting them in gelatin capsules and swallowing them.

Broken down, the 25 pounds of mushrooms found in Tuesday's busts held more than a million dosage units. That's how the value of this particular drug is measured.

Department of Public Safety narcotics investigator Jim Blake said those doses would likely sell on the street for about $10 each, following a numerical formula DPS uses. He said the $11 million price tag sounds high, but it's what the department's computerized system rang up.

The Controlled Substances Act does not address mushrooms themselves, the DEA reported. But the mushrooms contain the chemicals psilocybin and psilocin - both Schedule I drugs, it says.

Psilocybin breaks down in the body and produces psilocin, which may create effects, including hallucinations and impaired ability to tell fantasy from reality. The DEA also describes "a crossing of the senses, such as 'seeing a sound' and 'hearing a color.' "

The drug affects senses, including touch, hearing and vision, the government report says.

In addition to those effects, the DEA said there are other unpleasant physical symptoms involved. Those can include:

--Nausea and vomiting;

--Weakness, drowsiness, yawning;

--Restlessness;

--Sweating;

--Lack of coordination;

--Enlarged pupils.

Investigators said the bust in Clay County cut into drug distribution across parts of Texas.

The Department of Justice's Web site said one of the most significant crackdowns in the country happened in Medford, Ore., in November 1999. Several federal agencies teamed up to seize 100 pounds of fresh mushrooms and 66 pounds of dry ones. The site said those drugs were being supplied to 11 states.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxx

Some people here shoud write this wman and tell her to go back to school

mj

until she learns what it is she is reporting.

OneAsMany

Post by OneAsMany » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:51 am

following a numerical formula DPS uses... $11 million
how long would it take to grow 25 lbs? someone sends me some sphores please.... (purely for scientific identification purposes, i promise)

TooStonedToType

Post by TooStonedToType » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:28 pm

But the cops had an informant buy them at least 3 pounds. What did he pay? Obviously they know the mushrooms aren't worth even close to 11 million.

This guy is clueless: "'I think we made a significant dent,' said Jim Blake, a DPS narcotics investigator, 'even though we didn't know we were having the problem.'"

laughingwillow

Post by laughingwillow » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:49 pm

Still sounds like a seller's market down der in texas. 1/4 gram for $10 is $40/gr. Five gram experience running $200?

They are still lying through their teeth on the value of the bust, imo, in an attempt to keep their initial calculations from making them look more inept they really are.

lw

Zoolander

Post by Zoolander » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:29 pm

25 x 800 = 20,000 not 25,000

Unless 5,000 is mark up

But, what dew i know - I'm a really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking model.

Zoolander

ckg_46n2

Post by ckg_46n2 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:38 am

What I've seen usually is the cops will do it by the smallest dosage price possible. Let's say you get caught with a LBS of pot, they wont say it was worth $650(talking about schwag here) , they would say "well, 4grams for $10, 480grams in a pound, thats 4,800 dollars worth of marijuana!". That way the seargent gets his promotion, and you get that big ungreased **** in your ***.

Thats my take on it at least.

**edit note: read the whole post before making a comment, or come off as a plagorist as I did. My bad.