Morels: get yourself a handful son...

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
mutant

Re: Morels: get yourself a handful son... -

Post by mutant » Thu May 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Morels are very easy to tell from "false morels" (vespa?).
there are also Verpa, Ptyhoverpa, Mitrophora, also Discina [ear-like, tasty as morels] which are also edible.

Gyromitra was eaten for many years, and it is still eaten by some, said to be also very tasty. The toxins are supposed to be eliminated with heat [good cooking], but it's now classed as deadly poisonous.

totempole

Post by totempole » Thu May 15, 2008 7:33 pm

mutant wrote:Gyromitra was eaten for many years, and it is still eaten by some, said to be also very tasty. The toxins are supposed to be eliminated with heat [good cooking], but it's now classed as deadly poisonous.
Not just cooking, but boiling it out. Meaning, boil in a big pot of water, don't fry. But why bother?

entheoexplorer

Post by entheoexplorer » Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 pm

BiffCo1138 wrote:I'm feeling pretty geeky for looking that up... I kinda like it...
You had to look that up?

But seriously (and yes, I know I'm admitting to being a huge nerd there), as far as I know morels are not cultivatable. Any teeko (or others) have seen for sale in a grocery store that were for sale were picked in the "wild," and packaged for sale.

That's why they're always so darned expensive.

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Thu May 15, 2008 9:54 pm

They can be grown, not easily, and I'm don't think at large scale.

Stamets has a kit, but I doubt it yields much, but it's from a giant morel clone tho!

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:53 am

I just saw a site earlier today that had videos on how to set up a morel garden. Haven't actually gone thru the guys vids, but here's the link...

http://www.mymorels.com/index.php/mo...om-pics-video/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

mutant

Post by mutant » Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 am

There was indeed a breakthrough in morel cultivation ~ I know nothing about this though, becauase I know nothing about cultivation ~ so far ;)