Morels: get yourself a handful son...

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
teeko

Re: Morels: get yourself a handful son... -

Post by teeko » Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Well, as far as price. I saw some fresh black morels for $85 a pound. I dont know if thats a lot, but it sounds expensive!
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

Partager

Post by Partager » Wed May 14, 2008 5:26 pm

NomadBotanicals wrote:I believe some folks also sell their pickings ;)
I hear they sell for pretty good money too!

totempole

Post by totempole » Wed May 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Quantumbrujo wrote:I hear morels are very expensive to buy.anyone ever manage to grow any?
Are people growing them? I heard a few years ago there was a breakthrough in cultivating morels.

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:58 pm

I love you guys...8-) Where I'm from, everyone and their dog goes morel hunting starting about 2 weeks ago. I mean everyone! Most of the people here wouldn't even know the name of another mushroom, seriously.

Every year I see pictures of picnic tables covered with 'em and people talk about the trash bags full of 'em. Just wait I'm sure I'll get some pics loaded up that you guys will like.

As I'm writing this my wife just told me that the first news reports of people getting attacked over patches was in the news this morning.:roll: (i actually just pulled up the story too) here's a most of it...

"Duane Shawn, 46, was taken to the F____ County Jail by sheriff's deputies Friday after he allegedly threatened a group of mushroom hunters with an ax.

The dispute began when Shawn crossed paths with the mushroom hunters near the V___ A___ State Park. Words were exchanged and the parties went their separate ways.

However, they ran into each other again, which led to another confrontation during which the mushroom hunters said he became angry and threatened them with an ax he took out of a vehicle.

Shawn is charged with aggravated assault."

It's almost funny....8-)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

Mama Dragon

Post by Mama Dragon » Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 am

Morel season is the best!

I just moved into a place that has about 3 acres of good forest full of elm trees. I've had a blast taking my daughters out to hunt. My oldest calls them "brain mushrooms".

I saw a couple of Mexican guys selling them in the Wal-Mart parking lot near where I work the other day. I have no idea what they were charging but I thought it was interesting.

I would be interested to know about cultivation breakthroughs. As far as I knew, morels were impossible to cultivate because of their relationships with specific tree hosts and their lack of gills that drop spoor prints.

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Thu May 15, 2008 1:00 am

Do be careful when you hunt morels, not to pick the brain mushrooms!!!

Correct morels can be easy to identify if you know what you're looking for, but I've found a lot of false morels as well - those are toxic I believe.

On a side note, I've heard that shaggy manes mushrooms are edible, but mildly toxic with alcohol

Mama Dragon

Post by Mama Dragon » Thu May 15, 2008 1:07 am

Morels are very easy to tell from "false morels" (vespa?).

1. They're completely hollow

2. They have no gills

3. If you cut them open, they look like a rubber mold.

Other shroomies may have similar looking caps to morels, but I don't know of any other mushroom that grows around here that has the hollow/rubber mold look.

totempole

Post by totempole » Thu May 15, 2008 8:59 am

NomadBotanicals wrote:Do be careful when you hunt morels, not to pick the brain mushrooms!!!

Correct morels can be easy to identify if you know what you're looking for, but I've found a lot of false morels as well - those are toxic I believe.

On a side note, I've heard that shaggy manes mushrooms are edible, but mildly toxic with alcohol
Kind of hard to mistake a morel once you've seen them. In fact, unless you're mushroom picking with Stevie Wonder, I'd say if you mistake a gyrometra for a morchella, you shouldn't be touching mushrooms.

I've eaten many shaggy mane mushrooms. This is their season in the northeast. Woodchips, manure piles and grassy areas. Get 'em while they're young, because they don't last long.

p.s. - holy crap, I've been Laiquendied! How'd that happen?
Last edited by totempole on Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Congrats!! Apperently you are now a green elf and I have still never beheld the light of the Two Trees in Valinor.

I'm feeling pretty geeky for looking that up... I kinda like it...
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

totempole

Post by totempole » Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Welcome to Lothlorien. From what I remember, Tolkien's world had these different tribes of elves. Some were more noble than others, which in his day meant blond haired and blue eyed versus brown haired, sun tans and brown eyes. And had better tailors.

But the wood elves had the best morel hunting grounds. What's the morel of the story?