Magic Truffles

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.

Magic Truffles

Postby Yuriy » Fri May 05, 2017 1:24 am

Magic truffles/shrooms can now be used for cancer patients to help them relax and less distressed about their disease? I have read some articles that psilocybin which is a major component of magic truffles can help ease anxiety and depression. So what is magic truffles anyway? Is it legal? Well the drug is clearly not for everyone, but further studies are on-going for it's medical purpose. I would really want to hear your stand regarding magic truffles. Thanks
Yuriy

Re: Magic Truffles

Postby sage-borodin » Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 am

By truffles you mean the sclerotia of psilocybe mexicana, no?

While I have found a good deal of research regarding psilocybin/psilocin, I have not found any which uses the sclerotia of a psilocybin containing fungi specifically. If this exists I am very interested.

Here's some information regarding psilocybin.
In a small double-blind study, Johns Hopkins researchers report that a substantial majority of people suffering cancer-related anxiety or depression found considerable relief for up to six months from a single large dose of psilocybin—the active compound in hallucinogenic "magic mushrooms."

SIX MONTHS AFTER THE FINAL SESSION OF TREATMENT, ABOUT 80% OF PARTICIPANTS CONTINUED TO SHOW CLINICALLY SIGNIFICANT DECREASES IN DEPRESSED MOOD AND ANXIETY, WITH ABOUT 60% SHOWING SYMPTOM REMISSION INTO THE NORMAL RANGE.

The Johns Hopkins team released its study results, involving 51 adult patients, concurrently with researchers from New York University Langone Medical Center, who conducted a similarly designed study on 29 participants. Both studies are published today in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

The researchers cautioned that the drug was given in tightly controlled conditions in the presence of two clinically trained monitors and said they do not recommend use of the compound outside of such a research or patient care setting.

The Johns Hopkins group reported that psilocybin decreased clinician- and patient-rated depressed mood, anxiety, and death anxiety. The compound increased quality of life, life meaning, and optimism. Six months after the final session of treatment:

About 80% of participants continued to show clinically significant decreases in depressed mood and anxiety, with about 60% showing symptom remission into the normal range
83% reported increases in well-being or life satisfaction
67% of participants reported the experience as one of the top five meaningful experiences in their lives
About 70% reported the experience as one of their top five spiritually significant lifetime events
https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/12/01/hallucin ... n-anxiety/

Again I'm not sure that I have seen "magic" truffles used, but I remember reading this about non-psychoactive truffles:

Antioxidant, anticancer, apoptosis properties and chemical composition of black truffle Terfezia claveryi
Saad Sabbar DahhamSawsan S. Al-RawiAhmad H. IbrahimAman Shah Abdul MajidAmin Malik Shah Abdul Majid
Show more
Abstract
Desert truffles are seasonal and important edible fungi that grow wild in many countries around the world. Truffles are natural food sources that have significant compositions. In this work, the antioxidant, chemical composition, anticancer, and antiangiogenesis properties of the Terfezia claveryi truffle were investigated. Solvent extractions of the T. claveryi were evaluated for antioxidant activities using (DPPH, FRAP and ABTS methods). The extracts cytotoxicity on the cancer cell lines (HT29, MCF-7, PC3 and U-87 MG) was determined by MTT assay, while the anti-angiogenic efficacy was tested using ex-vivo assay. All extracts showed moderate anticancer activities against all cancer cells (p < 0.05). The hexane extract inhibited the brain cell line (U-87 MG) with an IC50 of 50 μg/ml and significantly promoted cell apoptosis through the mitochondrial pathway and DNA fragmentation p < 0.001. The ethanol extract demonstrated potent antioxidants; DPPH, FRAP, and ABTS with an IC50 value of 52, 48.5 and 64.7 μg/ml, respectively. In addition, the hexane and ethyl acetate extract significantly (p < 0.001) inhibited the sprouting of microvessels by 100% and 81.2%, at 100 μg/ml, respectively. The GC analysis of the most active extract (hexane) showed the presence of several potent phytochemicals such as stigmasterol, beta-Sitosterol, squalene, lupeol, octadecadienoic acid, and oleic acid.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2X16000334

a single dose of psilocybin, the active ingredient of magic mushrooms, can lift the anxiety and depression experienced by people with advanced cancer for six months or even longer, two new studies show.

Researchers involved in the two trials in the United States say the results are remarkable. The volunteers had “profoundly meaningful and spiritual experiences” which made most of them rethink life and death, ended their despair and brought about lasting improvement in the quality of their lives.

The results of the research are published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology together with no less than ten commentaries from leading scientists in the fields of psychiatry and palliative care, who all back further research. While the effects of magic mushrooms have been of interest to psychiatry since the 1950s, the classification of all psychedelics in the US as schedule 1 drugs in the 1970s, in the wake of the Vietnam war and the rise of recreational drug use in the hippy counter-culture, has erected daunting legal and financial obstacles to running trials.

“I think it is a big deal both in terms of the findings and in terms of the history and what it represents. It was part of psychiatry and vanished and now it’s been brought back,” said Dr Stephen Ross, director of addiction psychiatry at NYU Langone Medical Center and lead investigator of the study that was based there.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... udies-show
sage-borodin

Return to The Mush Room