Salvia: Brett's Mother's Email - let her know how you feel!

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
sallyscot

Salvia: Brett's Mother's Email - let her know how you feel! -

Post by sallyscot » Mon May 29, 2006 7:36 am

I've taken the liberty of copy pasting the following thread posted on the Lycaeum Forums (Psychedelics >> Visionary Plants section)

--------------------

mescalito19 - posted May 26, 2006 12:33 PM

This is the mother's email address: Kathy Chidester [url=mailto:skikat9@hotmail.com]skikat9@hotmail.com[/url] She more than anyone else is the one who has to be won over to the cause. Win the mother over and the biggest obstacle goes away. Blatant disrespect or open anger or hostility from those for Salvia will reinforce her position that it is a BAD thing and people that take it become mean and hateful. APPROACH HER WITH LOVE AND COMPASSION. She has lost her only child....but she needs to be aware of the bigger picture. She is a very, very nice lady. Try and imagine yourself losing a child before you send her an email.

Brett's essay IN IT'S ENTIRETY needs to be released not the isolated fragments the media has quoted out of context. They are using that essay as the link of causality.

REMEMBER LOVE NOT FEAR. That is the true teaching of Salvia. It is a gift not a poison.

--------------------

sallyscot - posted May 27, 2006 10:19 AM

Here is a copy of email I sent to the email address [url=mailto:skikat9@hotmail.com]skikat9@hotmail.com[/url]

with regard to Salvia divinorum
Dear Kathy Chidester,

Please excuse the intrusion of this email, which you may consider as unsolicited. Please also accept my apology if the email address I've been given for you is incorrect and the content is therefore inappropriate.

As a participant in what we might call the 'Salvia Community' I would like to extend my sympathies over the loss of your son. I would like to assure you that most of us are deeply saddened by it.

I am interested in doing what I can, and this includes finding out as much as possible about the facts of the case. You'll appreciate that this is not easy from reading one-sided and sensationalist reports in the media.

One of the starting points for me has been to find out more about the general phenomena of suicide, particularly amongst the young. I was surprised to learn for example that suicide is now the third leading cause of death among 15-24 year olds. And that the suicide rate for white males in that age group has tripled since 1950 (source: the National Center for Health Statistics).

Each one of these cases will have its own story I know, but it does suggest a much wider issue for society than can be simply related to Salvia divinorum.

Speaking as someone who has been working with Salvia for over seven years it is concerning for me to see many now pressing for the strictest possible 'Schedule I' classification, particularly when such proponents also display such limited knowledge of the herb and its effects.

In your home state of Delaware as I understand it Salvia divinorum has been made illegal without any distinction being made between the plant in its natural form and the much stronger manufactured extracts.

It is not that the majority of us wouldn't agree with some form of regulation; in particular with regard to the sale and supply of Salvia divinorum to minors (even though most vendors already voluntarily restrain themselves this way). We do not think Salvia's realms necessarily appropriate for all.

It is just that many of us feel that our relationship with Salvia has been of great creative and positive benefit in our lives, especially illuminating with regard to our spiritual development.

Speaking as someone who only deals with the live plants I'm very concerned about laws being enacted that would suggest the best place for us mature, responsible, happy and otherwise productive adults would be in jail for periods up to and even exceeding 20 years.

Remember that there is another side to the story. And that other side will be well documented if not in the traditional press then with the more democratic Internet - where a lot of people prefer to get their information. Enquiring minds will always come to their own conclusions.

I completely understand should you wish to continue campaigning for greater awareness and better education on these issues.

All I would ask is that you consider all the factors and that you don't let the media and politicians use your son's death simply to further their own narrow agendas.

Yours respectfully,

~ R...

--------------------

hermes - posted May 27, 2006 11:53 AM

Bravo Sallyscot!

I thought that this was a very good letter. It was very sensitive to the plight of Brett's mother, while gently planting the suggestion that salvia might not be the culprit and that prohibition will not reduce harm, but will rather introduce another, possibly more sinister kind of harm. Since you were speaking as a representative of the wider salvia community, I give you my support and approval! I feel that you have represented me well!

This is exactly the right approach.

--------------------

mescalito19 - posted May 27, 2006 07:11 PM

I agree wonderful letter!!!! Please everyone that is her email address I assure you we have corresponded back and forth atleast 6 times now. SHE NEEDS TO KNOW ALL THE WONDERFUL THINGS ABOUT SALVIA AND THE GOOD PEOPLE WHO'S LIVES HAVE BEEN CHANGED FOR THE BETTER BY IT. Don't hesitate even if it's a simple paragraph please send her something now. Together we CAN make a difference.

One of Karen Peterson the senator' responses to me was: "If there's one thing I've learned about salvia users (judging from the e-mails I have received), it's that it appears to have the side-effect of making people mean-spirited." SO KEEP IT POSITIVE.

Here's the senators email as well if you would like to send her one:

[url=mailto:Karen.Peterson@state.de.us]Karen.Peterson@state.de.us[/url]
(Sen. Karen Peterson)

--------------------

hermes - posted May 27, 2006 08:24 PM

Of course, when a key tool for exploring the frontiers of consciousness is being criminalized, it tends to make explorers just a little bit angry! Salvia does not make us mean spirited! Governments trying to take control of our minds is what makes us mean spirited!

--------------------

follow http://forums.lycaeum.org/cgi-bin/ul...c&f=2&t=002329 for further Lycaeum replies

Orb

Re: Salvia: Brett's Mother's Email - let her know how you feel! -

Post by Orb » Mon May 29, 2006 7:44 am

Excellent work, loving emails are the need there. Thanks for bringing this here for us too.

TooStonedToType

Post by TooStonedToType » Mon May 29, 2006 10:37 am

"Brett's essay IN IT'S ENTIRETY needs to be released not the isolated fragments the media has quoted out of context. They are using that essay as the link of causality."

This is very true! As far as I can tell there may be two documents. But like you mention, these documents have not been released so nobody knows. The suicide note (which does not reference salvia at all) and a diary. The diary mentions salvia, but many many months before the suicide. See http://www.spiritplants.org/phpbb/vi...asc&star t=17

PS: I like your letter. I'm not going to send one of my own, as you said about all that needs to be said. I hope she responds to you.
Last edited by TooStonedToType on Wed May 31, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winder

Post by Winder » Mon May 29, 2006 11:50 am

In theory this could be effective.

I expect though that in practice, the family is going to feel intruded upon and it will backfire all the worse.

Why are people so sad when a death occurs. Not that the person who died suffered, especially in the case of a painless and rather untraumatic suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. No, the grief is over what the survivors lost, and hence the grief strikes me as selfish. If people really believe in an afterlife, and the afterlife really exists, then all will be well when they meet up in the eternally blissful heaven, nirvana, whatever the place may be called.

But if there is no heaven or there is a heaven and they don't meet there because one or the other or both don't get to enter, that's a different story we will never no about.

My point is that all this sadness over death is mischaracterized. We are all going to die. Accept it. Some chose their time, others let time choose them. But when someone chooses or time takes a 90-year-old great-grandmother, then the former took matters into their own hands and the latter was hardly cheated, so neither were short changed. With the former, we might have a selfish sense of loss, and with the latter, no one should be sad, but should be glad someone had so long and be hopeful to have the same opportunity.

Anyway, this seems like a situation to let the sleeping dogs lie; good luck though.

sallyscot

Post by sallyscot » Mon May 29, 2006 12:08 pm

Winder,

I would agree with you about letting sleeping dogs lie, but Kathy Chidester has already taken her campaign beyond Delaware, giving ‘evidence’ before New Jersey politicians and legislators, who are looking to follow suit with a ban there. They have also suggested escalating the issue to push for a national ban.

Check it out at http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=4188369 (the page has story and further links to video of 6abc.com news broadcast)

Link originally posted on this forum in thread entitled: “Brett Chidester's parents campaign for national Salvia ban”

greeny

Post by greeny » Mon May 29, 2006 3:07 pm

awesome letter, sallyscot.. it's very true and 100x better than I could've done.
Last edited by greeny on Mon May 29, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zakmalados

Post by zakmalados » Mon May 29, 2006 8:23 pm

That is the only concern I have; that a whole bunch of hey-man ambassadors will proceed to mess up the works. Like I said about the radio-host... I dont think the dea are interested in the truth. They will milk what they can from Kathy Chidester and ignore what they can't use.

Like 9-11, there is no end they won't go to and the truth has nothing to do with it.

Zak

salvia_explorer

Post by salvia_explorer » Tue May 30, 2006 1:28 pm

zakmalados wrote:That is the only concern I have; that a whole bunch of hey-man ambassadors will proceed to mess up the works. Like I said about the radio-host... I dont think the dea are interested in the truth. They will milk what they can from Kathy Chidester and ignore what they can't use.

Like 9-11, there is no end they won't go to and the truth has nothing to do with it.

Zak
So true I fear. The American collective operates on sound bites.

Salvia = Drugs=bad=kill children - this message works. Outlaw the bad drug for the children! :roll:

Salvia = ok = reasons of personal freedom to seek out other states of mind that they couldn't even comprehend - this message does not work.:disappointed:

I'll guarantee you that Bretts mother considers you and your emails ( if you send them ) just the ranting of another druggie. The more explaining you do the more arguments against it she and others will try to wrangle out of your words.

Buy a lot of extract and grow a few plants for when it becomes illegal soon.

Sorry to sound negative when people are suggesting a positive approach ( although I am really not negative, just realistic I think)....but facing the reality of what they are going to do about salvia and then preparing for it is the smart thing to do. Don't EVEN get your hopes up that they will decide to keep it legal....sadly, that isn't going to happen.

SE
Last edited by salvia_explorer on Tue May 30, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

420_4life

Post by 420_4life » Tue May 30, 2006 2:42 pm

I agree we should not fuel the fire, and anything is fuel at this point

peace
jackpot

sallyscot

Post by sallyscot » Tue May 30, 2006 4:16 pm

salvia_explorer wrote:
I'll guarantee you that Bretts mother considers you and your emails ( if you send them ) just the ranting of another druggie. The more explaining you do the more arguments against it she and others will try to wrangle out of your words.

[...]

Don't EVEN get your hopes up that they will decide to keep it legal....sadly, that isn't going to happen.

SE
With respect SE, you can’t guarantee how Brett’s mother will consider any email.

There’s a possibility you’ll be right, for sure. And it may even be a strong possibility. But how can you guarantee it?

It’s quite easy to go through life observing how often self-fulfilling prophesies come true, to then congratulate oneself about being right all along.

I prefer to see action as 'controlled folly'. It has nothing to do with getting my hopes up.

If Brett’s Mom, or Senator Karen Peterson, of any of that ilk heard nothing - they could as easily wangle that into “these people have no decent arguments”.

Yes, you’re probably right. They probably won’t budge. I just think I’m making them work a bit harder to maintain their position.