salvia divinorum campared to coleus species

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.

salvia divinorum campared to coleus species

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 am

Coleus blumei (Plectranthus scutellarioides) is said to had been used by the mazatec people for its psychoactive effects. Many claim Plectranthus scutellarioides to be a substitute for salvia divinorum. I was wondering what modern salvia divinorum users have to say about this plant as an entheogen.

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Re: salvia divinorum campared to coleus species

Postby unsigned_char72 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 am

Eh! this was an hot topic back in the days of the Salvia Divinorum "bubble". There was a lot of talking about Coleus and Salvia splendens too. If you search you will find lot of results even on this forum.

I have tried Coleus myself and all I can say is that it's difficult to tell whether it's placebo or not. I remember slight visual distortion (similar to Salvia) that I was not able to replicate. It does affects sleeping (restless sleep) and dreaming (promotes lucid dreaming).

A problem with Coleus is that there are many varieties around, and you never know it's ineffective because you have the wrong specimen with a low concentration of the psychoactive costituent. The same can be told of Salvia Splendens. I remember one guy from brazil who said that he tried two different S. splendens, one completely ineffective, the other quite effective according to his words.

BTW I still have the Coleus specimen I used many years ago (it's a beautiful looking plant so I kept it growing) perhaps I could some other attempt at it. This time I could use a vaporizer.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 am

Ive attempted to use coleus blumei one time, I was told that if the leaves are allowed to dry the psychoactive compounds would be destroyed, so I took around 25 leaves, rolled them into a cylinder and slowley chewed them holding them in my mouth, after about 20 minutes I would spit the chewed up plant matter. This appeared to have salvia divinorum like effects, but since the experiment has not been repeated its not known if the experiance was a fluke or the standard.

Even though the compounds in coleus species have not been Identified, it is said that they will be destroyed very quickly as the leaves dry, so fresh leaves plucked directly from the plant must be used. Perhaps this is why your experiment failed, I believe that you must "quid" coleus as drying the leaves to prepare for smoking destroys the compounds in the plant.

Thanks for your input,

-eleusis borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby unsigned_char72 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 am

Yes, I remember quidding to be more effective, indeed I've searched in the archives and found my own past reports:

from: http://entheogen-network.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25116&p=291079&hilit=coleus#p291079

unsigned_char72 wrote:An interest thing is that Swim firstly noticed that insomnia when quidding coleus blumei (the only time he tried), not getting any effects (visuals) but having a restless night with dreams and hypnagogic jerks.

and from: http://entheogen-network.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10307&p=104904&hilit=coleus#p104904

unsigned_char72 wrote:I also have researched with coleus blumei (I have two different strains) but had mixed results til now. Smoking dried leaves in a bong seems to not work. The only effect that I remember is very vivid dreams in the night after quidding with fresh leaves before going to sleep.
unsigned_char72

Postby entheogenic-gnosis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:41 am

Interesting stuff.

Ive always wondered why nobody has taken the time to investigate the compounds present in these plants. Coleus plants are negative for alkaloid tests, but then again the salvia divinorum plant does not contain any alkaloids either.
I still feel there may be some hidden treasures existing in these plants.

(Of all of the psychedelics only THC and Salvinorin-compounds are NOT alkaloids ( as these compounds do not contain any nitrogen atoms and thus they can not be considered alkaloids) I believe that both salvinorin and THC are considered to be terpenoid or diterpenoid hydrocarbons)

-E. Borodin
entheogenic-gnosis

Postby unsigned_char72 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Yes, I think too there are hidden treasures yet to be discovered. I'm sure there are other psychoactive salvias hiding in the centroamerican mountains.

But even the well known salvias are interesting to investigate.

For example, years ago there was a lot of talking about S. nemorosa containing an opiate-like compound. You can't miss this long but now dead thread: Red Tar: How to Nod Like A God for Pennies a Day.
unsigned_char72

Return to Salvia Discussion