Looking For Easter Eggs

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
burningmouth

Looking For Easter Eggs -

Post by burningmouth » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:35 am

Can salvia divinorum help us prepare for the possibility that we exist inside a simulation and that the simulation contains easter eggs?

//////////////////////////////
A few definitions from Wikipedia:
Simulated reality is the proposition that reality could be simulated—perhaps by computer simulation—to a degree indistinguishable from "true" reality. It could contain conscious minds which may or may not be fully aware that they are living inside a simulation.
This is quite different from the current, technologically achievable concept of virtual reality. Virtual reality is easily distinguished from the experience of actuality; participants are never in doubt about the nature of what they experience. Simulated reality, by contrast, would be hard or impossible to separate from "true" reality.

Hidden messages or "Easter eggs"
The simulation may contain hidden/secret messages or exits placed there by the designer or by other inhabitants who have solved the riddle in the way that easter eggs in computer games and other media sometimes do. People have already spent considerable effort searching for patterns or messages within the endless decimal places of the fundamental constants such as e and pi. In Carl Sagan's science fiction novel Contact, Sagan contemplates the possibility of finding a signature embedded in pi (in its base-11 expansion) by the creators of the universe.
However, such messages have not been made public if they have been found, and the argument relies on the messages being truthful. As usual, other hypotheses could explain the same evidence. In any case, if such constants are in fact normal, then at some point an apparently meaningful message will appear in them (this is known as the infinite monkey theorem), not necessarily because it was placed there.
The Easter Egg Theory also assumes that a simulation would want to inform its inhabitants of its real nature; it may not. Otherwise, if we consider that the human race will eventually be capable of creating intelligent programs (i.e. machines) living inside a virtual subspace of our "real" world, then an interesting question would be to define whether or not we will be capable of suppressing from our sentient robots their capability of knowing their artificial nature (see Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?).

///////////////////////////////

Something has really been bugging me lately. About three weeks ago, I started to hear a certain term or phase on the cable news networks. The term is ‘push back’. It basically means if one group posits something, an opposing group will counter it. That’s called push back. If the republicans trash talk the democrats, the democrats ‘push back’ with an opposing viewpoint. OK. So for the last three weeks, I’ve been hearing this term everywhere. The problem is: until three weeks ago, I never heard the term ‘push back’ anywhere. It’s as if I suddenly woke up in a world with terms that weren’t there previously. Now, if some of you are familiar with this term and have been hearing it spoken for years, then that would mean that I might just be confused. The only other possible explanation is that all my life I have been sliding through various alternative worlds, and I have suddenly landed in ‘this’ world where everyone is using terminology that I’m totally unfamiliar with.

If there is a simulation designer or ‘Operator’ working behind the scenes, it might be possible for Him to introduce for various reasons novel elements, words or codes into the program. For example, in the last couple of days, the news has gotten worse about the economy. If things continue in a downtrend, it might cause deep shocks to the psyche of Western society. These shocks might force the Operator to make emergency repairs to the code of the simulation. We might be able to observe these repairs or easter eggs as they occur.

Western science has spent billions in the production of particle accelerators. But how much money has been spent looking for easter eggs? Not much, I’m guessing. Everyone is too afraid to even propose the idea of easter eggs.
I for one will be looking for them with easter basket in hand. :)

kedabra

Re: Looking For Easter Eggs -

Post by kedabra » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am

I'd agree that SD can prepare us to take seriously the idea that we exist in some kind of virtual reality or dream, shared to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm not convinced that new words are easter eggs. Surely every single word we use was new at some point, they can't all be easter eggs?

I always thought it was odd that the moon seems to be the same size as the sun, and we only see one side of it, like it could just be painted on the ceiling al la Truman Show. But someone explained it to me, something about it being assymetrical and wobbling into a synchronized orbit....

Why don't we ask the easter bunny? Go to the source....
Last edited by kedabra on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

burningmouth

Post by burningmouth » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:59 am

kedabra wrote:I'd agree that SD can prepare us to take seriously the idea that we exist in some kind of virtual reality or dream, shared to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm not convinced that new words are easter eggs. Surely every single word we use was new at some point, they can't all be easter eggs?

I always thought it was odd that the moon seems to be the same size as the sun, and we only see one side of it, like it could just be painted on the ceiling al la Truman Show. But someone explained it to me, something about it being assymetrical and wobbling into a synchronized orbit....

Why don't we ask the easter bunny? Go to the source....
I thought that maybe the Operator was F'ing with us by throwing new terminology into the program. Maybe he's getting bored.

Ask the easter bunny? If I was just a little bit crazier, I probably would.

As far as the moon goes, it's funny how without the moon, there probably wouldn't be human life on earth. There's something about all the fine tuning going on around here........
"Hey, Easter bunny. What's with all the fine tuning?"

cellux

Post by cellux » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:11 pm

I once tried to explain an "easter egg" I've just found to a friend who was tripping with me (on LSD), but he immediately closed down, with a dumb expression on his face, as if someone had "pulled the plug", to stop the idea from crystallizing in his mind.

After a number of such experiences, I came to the conclusion that such easter eggs are not meant to be discovered in the context of a shared experience.

salvialover24

Post by salvialover24 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't think we can simulate reality, but assuming mechanism, reality can simulate us.
Easter eggs are very well known by computer scientists who use them to show that they cannot really help. The main structure of the machine's ignorance space remains unaltered by the "easter eggs". They only provide a way to go from a layer of reality to another. It seems to swim that salvia is more powerful, because it seems to make it possible to see all reality layers at once. Perhaps.