Discover Magazine Article

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
salviasofthead

Discover Magazine Article -

Post by salviasofthead » Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 am

"Discover" magazine has a very interesting article this month on the resurfacing concept and amazing success of using psychedelics to treat PTSD, OCD, anxiety, alcohol and drug addiction, and chronic depression.

Definitely worth a read if you can get your hands on it.

ss

Arne

Re: Discover Magazine Article -

Post by Arne » Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 am

salviasofthead

Post by salviasofthead » Thu May 15, 2008 11:24 am

Actually that's yet another article. The one I'm referring to doesn't appear to be online as yet. It's in the June 2008 issue, entitled "The cure for OCD: Psychedelics?" and is very good as well (and a little shorter).

ss

catfish

Post by catfish » Thu May 15, 2008 11:59 am

thx arne
that was good article
;)
trade for what you want at the Botanical Swap Project: http://forums.botanicalswap.org/
and build your tradelist at our estore: http://shop.botanicalswap.org
specializing in high quality and low prices!

thewizard

Post by thewizard » Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Arne wrote:Could be this one?
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb...searchterm=lsd
Great find.
Even though this isn't the article SS was referring to, I found it to be very interesting reading.

Quote:

Dr. Halpern's study nonetheless indicates that psychedelics as a class may not "burn out" the brain. "If we find this group of people that, with these special conditions, aren't having problems, that does have some relevance for the population at large."

This seems to indicate that the longterm use of peyote by the Navaho tribe hasn't had any adverse affects on different aspects of their mind. At least not in this scientific study. I think a lot of us old timers have been convinced of that for years but it is still an arguement used by officials to persecute substances like salvia divinorum to this day.

This was an interesting read. I hope when the article SS was referring to comes online someone takes the time to post it on here as well!!

totempole

Post by totempole » Thu May 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Arne wrote:Could be this one?
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb...searchterm=lsd
Great find.
Great article, thanks!

Question: Are those buttons the guy is holding in his hands a little on the small side? Or would they be considered normal? Seems to me when I used to have dried buttons many years ago, they were about the size of a silver dollar.

thewizard

Post by thewizard » Thu May 15, 2008 12:15 pm

totempole wrote:Great article, thanks!

Question: Are those buttons the guy is holding in his hands a little on the small side? Or would they be considered normal? Seems to me when I used to have dried buttons many years ago, they were about the size of a silver dollar.
It's been 20 years since I have had any, but the ones that used to make their way to the Atlanta area in the 70s and 80s were never as large as a silver dollar. Maybe the larger ones were kept and used closer to their home and we only got the smaller ones...????? I could understand that!!

totempole

Post by totempole » Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 pm

thewizard wrote:It's been 20 years since I have had any, but the ones that used to make their way to the Atlanta area in the 70s and 80s were never as large as a silver dollar. Maybe the larger ones were kept and used closer to their home and we only got the smaller ones...????? I could understand that!!
It's been longer than that for me. I think the last time was in 1982, so my imagination might be exaggerating things, but not by much. I know they were bigger than what's in that guy's hands.

I was house sitting for a Rastafarian. In every drawer, cabinet, jar, shirt pocket, old car ashtray he had some goody or another. That was a winter to remember.

Orbit

Post by Orbit » Fri May 16, 2008 3:49 am

Those are the smallest ones I've ever seen too. Great article, I put a link to it on my imageevent.com/sphere web page.

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Fri May 16, 2008 1:33 pm

yeah great find, gonna read it later.....I'm not a button expert, but memory tells me they were more onion sized....perhaps there are overharvesting issues.

Hey Orbit!!