Salvia and death

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
fuzzgun91

Salvia and death -

Post by fuzzgun91 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:22 pm

Im just wondering but does anyone else have that weird feeling while they are in Salvia space(if thats what you would call it) that it has alot to do with the state before birth and after death?

jbmac

Re: Salvia and death -

Post by jbmac » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes - it is dissasociation - ego loss, you are there - you lose the sense of self and your surroundings.
Refreshing if not overdone.

EROCx1

Post by EROCx1 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:14 pm

I had similar feelings. In Mesoamerican and Amazonian Shamanism, what we call entities they called Ancestor Spirits. Being that these people have had the longest relationships with teacher plants and have passed down this plant wisdom and knowledge from generation to generation for thousands of years there is a high probability that they may be right. Our culture denies such possibilities, however our culture is a sham so it would be wise to consider that it maybe possible.

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:23 pm

like most shamanic experiences, it does deal with the death/re-birth thing. thats how ya heal; you die, the spirits make you whole, and you come back.

Toxictoy

Post by Toxictoy » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:46 pm

I actually have been giving a lot of thought to this question - as in does Salvia somehow activate the portion of the brain that is reserved for the "death experience"? From a scientific point of view it is possible to trip that mechanism in the brain and create a near death experience. However - just because it can be stimulated (and simulated) doesn't mean it is any less spiritual or life-altering. I think because of so much commonality (don't know if that's a word oh well) between trip reports that there is a possibility that we have opened the gateway when we are under the influence of salvia - to where is the question.

salvia_explorer

Post by salvia_explorer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:12 pm

Toxictoy wrote:I actually have been giving a lot of thought to this question - as in does Salvia somehow activate the portion of the brain that is reserved for the "death experience"?
My cat feels like he goes to the place the dead people go every time.

My theory on the matter goes like this....

I figure that plants and animals have protective mechanisms. Eat some type of lizards and fish or some types of plants and you die. These plants and animals have developed this poisonous method of defense for the prolongation of the species.
I think salvia as a plant has perhaps developed a similar machanism that shuts down the nervous system and makes herbivores think they have died if they have consumed salvia, but leaves them harmlessly ok after a few minutes. After that experience most creatures would never touch the plant again.....except us silly humans who can get past the fear of this experience and use it for exploration.

Just a theory I have.

Peace,
SE

fuzzgun91

Post by fuzzgun91 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:31 pm

Intresting thoughts...I do have more to say about this subject but this PSP is hard to type with and the library is closed, Tommrow I shall be back!

Lemmiwinks

Post by Lemmiwinks » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:18 pm

SWIM used to....but for whatever reason does not get that far out anymore, SWIM had to switch to DMT....but yeah- he/she knows exactly what you mean....

jse

Post by jse » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Would DMT be closer to birth/death experiences?
the Pineal gland releases DMT upon birth and death

peace
jse

Toxictoy

Post by Toxictoy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:02 pm

My cats have never taken DMT so they have nothing to compare the salvia experience to in terms of that. However - they did tell me that some of their Salvia experiences have had the same characteristics of an NDE. My cat also looked at Erowid and saw that many people also have those kinds of experiences - ie: presence of "other(s)", tunnel, lights, loss of ego, etc etc. There are also people who instead of experiencing the heaven aspect of an NDE (near death experience) instead experience some form of hell. I could see that happening in the context of a darker salvia trip.

This thread has certainly given me a lot to think about :)