Georgia SB295

This is the place to discuss Salvia divinorum, splendins, and the other psychoactive salvias.
sallyscot

Georgia SB295 -

Post by sallyscot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 pm

On March 8, 2007 Senator John Bulloch, (R-Ochlocknee), filed Senate Bill SB295 which proposes that "It shall be unlawful to knowingly produce, manufacture, distribute, possess, or possess with intent to produce, manufacture, or distribute the active chemical ingredient in the hallucinogenic plant Salvia divinorum A" (sic). http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_0...text/sb295.htm

Violation of the proposed law would be considered a misdemeanour under Georgia's code. It would not apply to "the possession, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of such hallucinogenic plant strictly for aesthetic, landscaping, or decorative purposes".

Sen. John Bulloch reportedly saw a report on an Atlanta television news station about the increased use of ''Salvia divinorum''. He was quoted as saying - "I thought, 'Why hasn't somebody already jumped on this?'" before filing Senate Bill 295 "I hurriedly got legislative counsel to draft the bill." ... "Everything that I read about it is it's considered to be a hallucinogenic drug," ... "A lot of the reading that I've found on it says that it's gives a quicker and more intense high than LSD." http://savannahnow.com/node/239324. Senator Don Thomas (R-Dalton), a physician and member of the reviewing Senate Health and Human Services Committee, was reported as saying - "I just know about the publicity of the dangers of it, and the use of it, so my first impression is to ban anything of that nature". http://savannahnow.com/node/239324

See also - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Salvia_divinorum#United_States

Once again, Health and Human Services Committee members via - www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2001_02/senate/gashhs.htm - from where you can get emails via the member links.

sunsnail

Re: Georgia SB295 -

Post by sunsnail » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Terrible.

Himdumb

Post by Himdumb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:44 pm

Lame. Luckily, all my plants are for aestetics.
sallyscot wrote:It would not apply to "the possession, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of such hallucinogenic plant strictly for aesthetic, landscaping, or decorative purposes".

jse

Post by jse » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:01 pm

On March 8, 2007 Senator John Bulloch, (R-Ochlocknee), filed Senate Bill SB295 which proposes that "It shall be unlawful to knowingly produce, manufacture, distribute, possess, or possess with intent to produce, manufacture, or distribute the active chemical ingredient in the hallucinogenic plant Salvia divinorum A" (sic). http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_0...text/sb295.htm
Ok i really dont get this, to my way of looking at this it is about as affective as the old mushroom law in the uk. There is no plant called "Salvia divinorum A", (sic) is used when you have quoted something that is erroneous but you have quoted it verbatim, so if he already knows there is no plant "Salvia Divinorum A" why say it? he seems to have mixed the terms "Salvanorin A" which is the active chemical ingredient with the real plant name "Salvia Divinorum" so i see a nice big loophole in the proposed bill there also his use of the word "hallucinogenic" is very debatable with a plant whos alkaloids are not psychoactive.

He's a duche and i hope this doesent pass btw

peace
jse

Anima

Post by Anima » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:01 pm

I actually hope it does pass because it has no teeth and if that dumbass is the bellringer and willing to pass laws that effect the lives of millions based on his knee jerk reaction to a tv infotainment program then perhaps it will be a long time before legitimate legislation comes around.

Assholes like that stupid fuckhead have me convinced that the heard needs a serious culling.

Kryp7onite

Post by Kryp7onite » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:36 am

You're right! Let's kill everyone in sight.

HURRY!

sunsnail

Post by sunsnail » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 am

NO! I don't want this to pass.

Ekstasis

Post by Ekstasis » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:30 am

Damn this all
bills amendments
senators, representors :(
its depressing really
all teh damn goverment does is take take take
:( its making me emo! :(

sallyscot

Post by sallyscot » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:32 am

jse wrote:Ok i really dont get this [...] There is no plant called "Salvia divinorum A", (sic) is used when you have quoted something that is erroneous but you have quoted it verbatim, so if he already knows there is no plant "Salvia Divinorum A" why say it? he seems to have mixed the terms "Salvanorin A" which is the active chemical ingredient with the real plant name "Salvia Divinorum" so i see a nice big loophole in the proposed bill...
It wasn't Sen. John Bulloch using 'sic'. I put it there, outside the quote marks, to indicate the Senator's error and confusion. There's no such plant as 'Salvia divinorum A' of course. This would've probably made the bill technically null and void as it stood, but it looks like it's been spotted and changed as there's now an updated version from the page at http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/sum/sb295.htm (the original version is there too).

The initial 'Salvia divinorum / salvinorin A' mix up demonstrates the level of ignorance blatantly enough, but note how the news story - http://savannahnow.com/node/239324 - also shows up the legislator's reaction as totally knee-jerk, regardless of whether he had managed to get his terminology right. John Bulloch "hurriedly got legislative counsel to draft the bill" after watching an Atlanta TV story, then, after submitting it, he does a bit of selective reading on the Internet.

It looks as though some politicians are so far adrift on issues like this, they don't feel it's necessary even to pretend to base legislation on anything approaching real research. No, just get the prohibition bill in, and then maybe later, see what can be said to justify it subsequently. - Just lame rationalisation, nowhere near proper evidence based policymaking.

Anyway, the rewording of the bill suggests that it's gone through the initial Health and Human Services committee stage now. That's an early opportunity missed in terms of intercepting it. But I reckon there should be other committees and hearing stages before the bill proceeds for all the Senators to vote on it.

I would've thought there would have been a public hearing stage as well. But the upcoming details are not easy to determine from the Georgia General Assembly pages. It looks like the website is mostly retrospective in term of recording what's already happened.

If anyone can establish what happens next, and when, and where, and whose involved (like which committee), then please share the information.

jacky

Post by jacky » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:49 pm

consider yourself lucky if you live in a state to that still allows for the enjoyment of propigation I guess.