Game Changer! Re-writing the book on a common, "peyotillo"

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
Coz the Shroom

Game Changer! Re-writing the book on a common, "peyotillo"

Post by Coz the Shroom » Thu May 07, 2015 4:46 pm

This is a summary of catdogmonkey's progress assaying Echinocereus triglochidiatus. The original source for this is a trip report posted at the Lycaeum under SURPRISES FROM CORYPANTHA MACROEMERIS-- BETTER THAN REPORTED! The research was guided and advised by members of the lycaeum. I originally had misidentified the specimen.

Catdogmoney posted:
This is where I will be logging my exciting peyote discoveries. First off, when I arrived in Alamogordo at the age of 15, I was excited at the prospects of living near a place called "Mescalero" and finding peyote, aware of how to identify Lophorphora Williamsii, but unaware that it actually does not naturally occur anywhere NEAR Alamogordo... I probably overlooked dozens of native "peyotes" that are overlooked because they do not contain mescaline.
In any event, my research over the years had drifted more towards magic mushrooms, since even the best of peyotes cause profound nausea and vomiting at the onset of the peyote trip.
I did have a chance to experience peyote buttons, but had only received enough mescaline to experience minimal, threshold effects.
In summary, I began paying attention to peyote when I moved to Lincoln county, which neighbors Otero county and learned that the famous Donana peyote was common in Otero county. I bought a specimen to help me identify the cactus, but was still daunted in my desire to experiment as the only known report of donana use describes a very bad nausea experience and very little psychedelic effect.
It was only after years of exploring native ethnobotanicals that I received this gift from Usen, that represents both a startling episode in spiritual fulfillment and an exciting discovery that will doubtlessly open up a new field of interest among my fellow psychonauts.
I have assuredly made a great discovery that will open up an exciting new field to those interested.
To understand the circumstances of my experience, I must point out that circumstances led me to wrecklessly abandon caution and consume the flesh of what I thought was Coryphantha Macromeris (donana) but which I now am 90% certain was actually Echinocereus Triglochidiatus, the common Claret Cup, or “King's Cup” peyote.
First off-- I live in a cabin in the woods at 6,800 feet, forest that is home to pinion, douglas fir, ponderosa pine, and lots of high desert flora. My common “backyard stroll” includes hiking to the nearby 7,163 foot peak overlooking my home... which I do barefoot.
I am not going to be living here much longer, and for that and a number of other personal reasons, my stress and anguish led me into a state of mind where fugue or suicide preoccupied my reckless flight into the mountains, along a rocky cliff, packed with very treacherous, loose, clay soil.
I was high on about three other substances at the time, but they had mostly worn off, and none were “classic hallucinogens” (seretonergic tryptamines or phenylethyamines) or capable of producing any of the effects I soon was to experience me.
In addition to my reluctance to experience profound nausea for minimal effects, caution should have reminded me that psychotic depression leads to a “bad trip,” and to recount that a very common traditional belief about “false peyote” is that it makes you crazy and you will throw yourself from a cliff.
Nonetheless, at the most critical moment of my dilemma and abandonment of shelter as a cold spring night was approaching, I found myself staring straight at a peyote, and I knew I had to consume it for the spiritual healing it offered, and that it was clearly a gift, placed before me by the supreme being, the great spirit Usen.
I am usually rather agnostic, but I do not doubt any god that I can reach out and touch and know is there, and I knew the kind god Usen had been watching over me and answered my sorrowful heart with his loving gift of the sacred peyote.
Here is an earlier account I had posted regarding this experience--
(edited)
“Not having a knife handy, I carefully picked the cactus and scooped out a small dab of pulp from the middle, no bigger than my fingertip. To my surprise, it actually tasted rather pleasant, and again to my surprise, I felt a trip coming on within minutes. At first I doubted my senses-- this had been a miniscule amount, and the interesting alkaloids are supposed to be close to the skin on most cacti, not in the center. I took the cactus with me and resumed my climb to a local mountain peak, with the intention of spending the night in a lean-to that had been built up there.

"I scooped out a little more pulp and kept climbing. Before long I was filled with the sensation that I was walking on air and could run effortlessly and see in the dark (dusk was still pretty early). I felt a little uncoordinated with my balance, but kept going. By the time I got to the lean-to I felt a great body high and was beginning to think and say strange stuff out loud. My clothes seemed to encumber me, so I took them off, sat in the lean-to, and dug a little more pulp, closer to the skin. This had a stronger taste, but not bitter. Kind of like morning glory seeds, actually.

"I decided to try to make it home before dark, but night fell before I had even gotten a fifth of the way back down. The moonlight was bright, though, so I kept going. The Euphoria was incredible. In some ways it was mellow like shrooms, in other ways it was very lush and sensual like MDMA, but it is by far the most pleasant body high I've ever had from a psychedelic. (edited: typical to mescaline reports, the euphoria was so pronounced that my foremost thought was that I did not want to ever take anything else to get high again!) when I rested, the stars and the moon made tracers, and the clouds breathed like walls do on acid.
I got really colorful CEVs and everything looked beautiful as the high kept building. All the while no nausea at all!

After I got home, I could tell my mind was really tripping from the things I was saying to my wife. I felt a dreamy loss of coordination and when I went to rest, I could still feel my legs moving like I was hiking still. The CEVs grew very vivid and more complex now and I entered a twilight sleep state. Whenever I touched myself somewhere it felt good, and if I moved my hands and touched another part of my body, I could still feel the first touch!

I think it took about an hour and a half to peak, and didn't start coming down until 5 hours or so, but don't know, as I slept through most of that. All of this was from a teaspoon and a half of pulp-- at the most!. It was a very introspective trip and just what I needed, too! I was shown that the negativity in my life was all coming from me."

After this experience I was eager to try this peyote again, this time at a higher dose . As I put it, I couldn't be more happy were I living in a forest of marijuana!

First I tried estimating the dose, noting that the cactus that I had harvested and taken was withered and dehydrated (partly why it looked more like a Coryphantha-- the sagging flesh made the areoles look more like nipples; Coryphantha shares this characteristic with Mammillaria, you know “mammeries,” right? It also brought the pricks closer together, making them appear like Corypthantha pricks).

Nothing.

I thought perhaps tolerance inhibition was the issue-- I waited again and tried a piece that was ten grams-- a much fatter cactus about three inches long.

Nothing. I wondered if the condition of the first, stressed, dehydrated cactus might have altered the plant's phytochemistry. But first I thought I'd just try upping the dose, so I took a six inch piece. This time it produced a similar effect to the first time, but much weaker,and this was so much more than the first piece I had taken.

Now the literature available online says that this is a very weak “peyote.”
It was originally believed to contain the active compound 3-hydroxy-4-methoxyphenethylamine, but subsequent analysis said that no PEA's or Tryptamines were found, only a “histamine which may account for the plant's psychoactivity.”
Subsequently that analysis was called into question because the study involved a different species-- there are 20 or so species in the US alone from the genera and many of them require tremendous expertise to distinguish.
My own experience supports the presence of 3-hydroxy-4-methoxyphenethylamine.
I rule out mescaline, because mescaline produces an intense bitterness that in my estimation seems like nature's equivalent to bitrex.

My hypothesis is that the natural “curing” of this plant in the sun either releases hordenine into the plant, acting as an MOAI and increasing the intensity of this effect, or else releases an enzyme that converts the naturally occurring precursors into 3-hydroxy-4-methoxyphenethylamine or whatever active compound that I had experienced.
Or it could be a combination of both, or simply the flesh becoming more dense as it dehydrated. The texture was a jelly similar to honeycomb, and it had a rich, satisfying mouth feel-- fresh flesh is more like a mellon.

Further experimenting is in order. Meanwhile I have located and identified another “Peyote” Mammillaria Heydarii, with a pretty solid reputation as a very powerful ally. Not sure how to proceed-- the plant produces a milky latex, which can perbhaps be collected and dried like opium or cane toad venom (those who use cane toad venom and sonoran desert toad venom actually rub the secretions onto a plate, allow it to dry, and then smoke it in a pipe).

New discoveries are just ahead, but I still feel touched by the magic of going into the wilderness a forlorn, despairing person and then having this gift put in my hands as though by a compassionate god who wished me to find strength and healing. That is the spiritual nature of this ally, to be sure. Perhaps I will never discover the secret of “making it work,” but in terms of the volume of material that produced effects, this common southwestern cactus that could be growing in the canyon just beyond that ridge, this stuff was more potent than L. Williamsii!