New to Cactus & Forum

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
Old Root

New to Cactus & Forum -

Post by Old Root » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi All,

I had a friend give me a Peruvian Torch last fall. It made it through the winter indoors . I set it in the sun this Spring and soon I noticed a ball beginning to grow on the top/side of the cactus. Now I got a cactus about 8" tall with a sizable ball growing on the top left hand side of the main stalk. It is about golf ball size, maybe a little smaller. Is this normal? Wouldn't it gain weight and tip things over? Do I lop it off like a sucker? Would it be good for anything?
I am in zone 7 in the USA. Please advise.

Thanks,

Old Root

DayLight
Location: wherein once it is seen, twice felt and the third time is the charm. love. serpents. awe and wonder.

Re: New to Cactus & Forum -

Post by DayLight » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:37 pm

it is either a flower or a pup, if it is near the top its likely a flower bud. is it grey and hairy?

Old Root

Post by Old Root » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:07 pm

DayLight wrote:it is either a flower or a pup, if it is near the top its likely a flower bud. is it grey and hairy?
It looks exactly like the big trunk under it. Picture this; Take a sausage gut and twist it round and round about 2" from the end. The 2" piece is what is growing on top of the Mother and connected by a small area. Real green, got dark thorns.

Old Root

Post by Old Root » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 am

117 views, 2 replys. I could do better taking my questions to the graveyard. Where is all the knowledge? The Help? Remember when you were where I am.

DayLight
Location: wherein once it is seen, twice felt and the third time is the charm. love. serpents. awe and wonder.

Post by DayLight » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:29 am

if it has thorns its likely a pup. it will either keep growing or flowering. there is lots of basic info on cactus growing to be found all over the web. you might want to do some googling.

BeHereNow

Post by BeHereNow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:38 pm

its a pup man. congrats! I wouldn't take a cutting from it until its atleast 4-6 inches. As long as your original cactus is planted firmly, it will not cause it to tip over.