Only the green skin for consumption?

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
MescalPlains

Only the green skin for consumption? -

Post by MescalPlains » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Perhaps this has been asked before...But anyways SWIM is wondering when using freshly cut Peruvian should one consume only the outermost dark green skin (<1 cm thick)) or does the inner pale green / semi-white soft material contain anything psychoactive aswell?
I'd like to avoid eating the whole cactus which would be quite a mouthful...not in a good delicious way.

GK77

Re: Only the green skin for consumption? -

Post by GK77 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:41 am

The skins regularly contain the most. The white flesh has been reported to contain some, but it is considered by most not worth the GI discomfort for what negligible amounts might be present.

-G7
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0

kill_blind

Post by kill_blind » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 pm

swim gets just as much discomfort from the whole plant than if I just use the skin.
it's eaier if your boiling to just cut it into star shapes, blend and boil all of it IMO. :)
Last edited by kill_blind on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fogot something

GK77

Post by GK77 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:56 pm

True if you are boiling. But if you plan on just eating the plant, then I'd suggest just the skins.

-G7
-AE

KiwiMike666sta

Post by KiwiMike666sta » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 pm

I have some Trichocereus Pachanoi(Lopharia williamsonii would be excellent to obtain but I think is now prohibited under CITES(too many ripped off from the desert making it officially endangered, not to mention I guess customs could try and argue the seeds in the same way as for Cannabis for example-wankers)and from everything I have read and heard, you use the whole cactus and on You Tube there are many instructional videos showing what to do and how to do it.

MescalPlains

Post by MescalPlains » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Interestingly there are sources which suggest peeling off and discarding the skin altogether, and only using the semi-green tissue between the inner white core and the outer membrane (skin).

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/c...aration2.shtml

SWIM is currently drying the chopped cactus and the outer skin would definately be very difficult to chew as it is almost plastic-like.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Just keep the green flesh and skin. You cold scrape the good green flesh from the hard skin and keep the green flesh, but you may lose some, thats why I keep the skin and green directly below.

Dont try and eat the dried stuff man. Dry, then powder it.
Then mix with water and consume, or cap and swallow.

Also, from your link,
"Traditional preparations of Trichocereus pachanoi involve boiling the sliced whole cactus for long periods of time with various admixtures. drawbacks to this are 1) emesis: the curandero actually seeks to make the patient vomit"

-Although there is some therapeutic/phycological value in puking, I'd rather not.

"...the green tissue is most widely identified as the seat of these virtues, and i believe this to be the case."

-Heard this reiterated in much literature over the years, and also believe it to be true. Llama has cut numerous pachanoi, and initially made a "fresh slurpie" with the whole cactus, minus the spines. No effects.
Then using the dried skins with green flesh, Llama much better effects, and less nausea, although some. Plus its easier to consume 25% than ~100% of the cactus apparently.

-G7
Last edited by GK77 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-AE

Shamanism0013

Post by Shamanism0013 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:02 am

this is exactly right!!! only eat the green layer! peel off the waxy skin on the outside and then separate the green layer from the white inner core! dry this green layer of skin for later use or eat it right away!

Kadakuda

Post by Kadakuda » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I have some Trichocereus Pachanoi(Lopharia williamsonii would be excellent to obtain but I think is now prohibited under CITES(too many ripped off from the desert making it officially endangered, not to mention I guess customs could try and argue the seeds in the same way as for Cannabis for example-wankers)and from everything I have read and heard, you use the whole cactus and on You Tube there are many instructional videos showing what to do and how to do it.
Almost ALL speceis of cacti are at least appendix 2 in CITES (all Trichoceres/Lophophora are), which requires permits to import living plant material, but not seeds and presumably dried plant material.

I agree the green outer layer is better, but hte inner is still very much active. using proper terms the entire cortex would be useful, but the inner vascular bundle (that little circle in the middle which is notably harder) is more or less pointless. Personally, unless you grow your own and have lots to dispose of, using the entire cortex would be good. But to each their own :) And this is assuming one is extracting somehow, even tea. Cant imaging eating 1-2 feet of raw cactus as is.

Shamanism0013

Post by Shamanism0013 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:47 am

People should use ONLY the green layer of skin, it is by far the most potent, be sure to peel off the waxy outer skin and separate out the white inner core!