Identification.. Peruvianus?

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
DasPip

Identification.. Peruvianus? -

Post by DasPip » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:08 am

Hi. sorry about opening a new thread for this..

My cat was just wondering if any of you guys now if theese cacties are Peruvian Toarch?

He just bought them from Swedens biggest cactus nurcerie.
They should be Peruvianus!

When my cat made a brew out of one of them it dident taste bitter at all, and the brew was allmost completely ineffective.
he did about 600grams so he should feel it!

My cat has gotten many Peruvianusses from this supplyer in the past, they were very nice and effective.

Maybe my cat just needs to mistreat the cactus so that the good stuff will be produced?

Thanks
Attachments
att4339-IMG_3788.jpg
att4339-IMG_3788.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
att4338-IMG_3787.jpg
att4338-IMG_3787.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
att4337-IMG_3786.jpg
att4337-IMG_3786.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Last edited by DasPip on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DasPip

Re: Identification.. Peruvianus? -

Post by DasPip » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:16 pm

This here is a peruvianus bought from the same supplyer a couple years ago, it was VERY potent.

You think this is a peruvianus and those in my first post is not?
They dont look very much alike I know.

My cat just got a reply from his cactus supplier, the supplier said the difference is that the new peruvies has had more sun so the spines have gotten longer and stuff like that.. Shuld my cat trust him? hmmm

after a little more research im wondering if theese new cacties are cuzcoensis, KK242.
If so.. I think ill just give them to my mother as a birthday pressent hehe.

Any help would be very much appriciated since her birthday is coming up quite soon:)
Attachments
att4340-AnotherFriend.jpg
att4340-AnotherFriend.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Last edited by DasPip on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DasPip

Post by DasPip » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Please anybody? I think i know now they are not real peruvianus.. but it would be really great to get a definitive answer from any of you cactie experts out there.

The cactus ribs dont look like they shuld if it was real torches I think(kind of uneven and bulky where the spines are).
The plants are also very soft and squishy, to little water? the insides are EXTREMELY slimey and only the inner skin is a bit bitter tasting.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by DasPip on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DayLight
Location: wherein once it is seen, twice felt and the third time is the charm. love. serpents. awe and wonder.

Post by DayLight » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

those cacti look like trichocereus cuzcoensis. the waving pattern to the ribs is a dead giveaway, as is the inactivity.

it's still a beautiful plant though, and while i in no way want to discourage anyone from giving gifts to their mothers, lol, i would however encourage you to grow the plants, and try getting into growing the cacti for their beauty and spirit, and to enjoy the art of care and propagation. its not for everyone, but those whom it is for find great enjoyment from it :)

DasPip

Post by DasPip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Thank you very much for the answer, it was as I thought..

The problem is that I live in a really small appartment with only one windowspace where i can have my plants, I have even made my window board much bigger with the help of some planks, a hammer and nails hehe.

I have allot of San Pedros with babyes and three Peyotes sitting there and some other magic plants aswell.
Last edited by DasPip on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DasPip

Post by DasPip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Dident like that my "trusted" supplyer tricked me though..
And he did not make a mistake since he is a real pro in the cactie world. He still refuses to admit it grrr. The sun making it look different my ass!

But again thanks.. Its good to know what is what and now I know what to give my mother for her birthday hehe.
She has allot of nice plants but no cactie so she and the cacties will be happy I think:)

Peace out!

DasPip

Post by DasPip » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Im replying for my cat by the way, since he`s out partying and dancing tonight..

Auxin

Post by Auxin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm

View any 'peruvianus' with extreme suspicion. Most are 'fake' tho most vendors cant even tell. If you dont get pictures from a vendor and have a (non-commercial) expert look at them first you'll spend lots of money collecting up cuzcoensis, chiloensis, macrogonus, and an occasional pachanoi before obtaining a peruvianus.
The situation with pachanoi isnt so bad except for the overabundance of backberg clones relative to more 'proper' (and more potent) pachanois.
Bridgesii is usually a slam dunk.

Pachanoi was the first active to gain popularity in the west and when the demand hit backberg clone was the abundant specimen because thats popular with grafters and california landscapers. Unfortunatly its 1/5th to 1/10th normal pachanoi potency. Then dramatic reports of peruvianus potency spread like wildfire when there were no peruvianus available, so people found the nearest match (cuzcoensis et al.) and sold them to everyone for big profit, hugely proliferating fake peruvianus specimens. News of bridgesii as a potent active spread much slower and many years after the above two episodes, that gave room for the genuine species to be spread around.

M_S_Smith

Post by M_S_Smith » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 pm

You might want to check out the following thread I wrote for the low down.

http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showp...48&postcount=8

I wouldn't say the T. cuzcoensis is a "fake," but rather what had been believed to be T. peruvianus for so long. Many suppliers aren't aware of the arguments I have made unless they are privy to the entheogen boards or familiar with Trout's comments which he gathered from my work. But others may either be opposed to my argument or simply in possession of so many of these T. cuzcoensis that they simply don't want to admit to themselves or others that they are selling it as it would be bad for business.

I would note that T. cuzcoensis shows a similar wide variation in growth/spination habit as do the proper T. pachanoi of Ecuador and Peru, T. peruvianus and T. bridgesii, but once you learn to recognize their predominate features you will be able tell them apart from T. peruvianus quite easily.

~Michael~

Auxin

Post by Auxin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks, I had forgotten about that post. Bookmarked now! :)
Its amusing, of the 'peruvianus' seed I've planted most came out as cuzcoensis and a few even came out as bridgesii (from seed from the same batch as cuzcoensoids! ...floor sweepings), to date all the peruvianoid cacti in my collection came from seed labeled as pachanoi :lol:

Cacti is like a box of chocolates...