Cutting life span?

This is the place to discuss Peyote, San Pedro, Donna Anna, etc.
krnjason

Cutting life span? -

Post by krnjason » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:54 am

How long can a cutting of (fresh)san pedro be kept in a dark cool place? I'm thinking about drying the whole cutting out, but how long can they keep w/o molding..etc.?

teeko

Re: Cutting life span? -

Post by teeko » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 am

I have a pedro cutting, it is 3...countem THREE years old. Never been planted, never watered, nothing. Just sat in a closet. I put it back in the closet to see how long it would keep growing for. :) The tip of the growth was starting to get white though, maybe I should allow it a few days of sun before back to the darkness.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

Maslow

Post by Maslow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 am

Cactus is not really designed to dry out much...of course enough heat will eventually do it

if someone were wanting to dry out the cactus, they would need to slice thin and put on a rack w/fan or dehydrator.

sarbill

Post by sarbill » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 pm

I have a pedro cutting, it is 3...countem THREE years old. Never been planted, never watered, nothing. Just sat in a closet.
No water?/ 3 Yrs. In the Dark with no water?? Poor, Poor Cacti..:[

teeko

Post by teeko » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 am

sarbill wrote:No water?/ 3 Yrs. In the Dark with no water?? Poor, Poor Cacti..:[
Everyone needs a little time alone in the dark sometimes. He had a rough childhood and wanted to fast and meditate for a few years before burying himself in the ground.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

Kadakuda

Post by Kadakuda » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:31 pm

fungal/bacterial infections generally need a point of entry, whcih is generalyl a break in the very protective skin. keep it intact and it can last like teekos. slice it into pieces and keep it cool it will rot, not dry.

TheNomad

Post by TheNomad » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm

I recommend to keep it alive or at least part of the plant alive and keep it growing. It's a great plant to have around the house. Their spirits are said to be protective over your household.

To dry cactus, you're going to want to slice it very thin and keep constant air circulation and a low relative humidity.

It helps to place the pieces on a cookie drying rack or something like that, so they can achieve maximum air circulation. On something like a ceramic plate, only the top half of a wet cactus piece will eventually dry.

teeko

Post by teeko » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Here is that 'closet cactus'. After posting above on Aug. 18th 2010 I put it outside, leaning up against a flower pot in dry sand. This is last week with a crappy cellphone camera. The 'white' on the cactus was from when I was moving last year and had all my cactus laid out to plant and the guy painting the house decided to not use drop clothe and spray everything. :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.