Starting to Make music

A place to discuss music.
Niedkern Knight

Starting to Make music

Post by Niedkern Knight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:56 am

I want to start writing music, unfortunately I never have had the attention span before to learn an instrument, so my music creating skills are a little lacking. Anyone have any suggestions of ways learn about how to structure music, and how to write and produce as well?

I'm starting to learn to play the piano, It's been said that it is a good way to learn how music works. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated I'm a total noob when it comes to writing music.

Once I get going on this route I would also be interested in trading music back and forth with other musicians for inspirational purposes, and critiques.

Thanks,
:D you guys rock
I have hewn many briars in my garden, but many are still close.
The noxious weeds quiver in the fiber of their being as I draw near
I am a root striker, and I am HERE!

unsigned_char72

Re: Starting to Make music

Post by unsigned_char72 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Playing an instrument is advisable but not necessary. Even reading music is not necessary. Just get a good grasp on the fundamental theory (notes, scales, chords, circle of fifth and things like that) and start writing some simple music with a software of your choice.

More than 15 years ago, Swim felt compelled to write music despite not being able to play any instrument whatsoever. It was the age of computer tracked music so he learned to use a program called "FastTracker" (no longer around) and eventually managed to write some very good tracks. What helped Swim most (apart from knowing the theory basics) was the ability to open other people's music in the program and actually see how it was done. And then emulating it.

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 pm

you can learn wonders just plucking a guitar string with your finger barely touching key positions along it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic

if you actually have an acoustic piano, i bet it would work even better.

Niedkern Knight

Post by Niedkern Knight » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 pm

thanks for the ideas guys. I was fiddling around on garage band today, but was getting kinda frustrated as I don't have that good of a grasp on the program. I'd like to use char's idea of getting someone else's track and loading it on to garage band, so I could emulate it. I don't know where I could get such a track though. Anyone have any ideas?
I have hewn many briars in my garden, but many are still close.
The noxious weeds quiver in the fiber of their being as I draw near
I am a root striker, and I am HERE!

Metanoian

Post by Metanoian » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 am

Just make music your main thing in life. Listen to it constantly. When you can't listen, sing, hum, whistle. I drive people insane, I know I do, but I've always got some song stuck in my brain :D

It takes dedication and patience, but it's a great way to express yourself and learn to slow down and enjoy life. Things are far too quick these days. Put on some down tempo music and float away.

As for creating your own music, it comes in it's own time. You can't force it. Just make music your life and things will start to flow naturally.
Pulled and kneaded like salt water taffy.

Interconnecting peoploids, like tinker toy ferris wheels, rotating counterclockwise for eternity.

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:53 am

well put. like a writer should read everything, and read twice as much as (s)he writes, a musician/ composer should also immerse him or her-self in all of the music that is out there.

there is a lot of amazing stuff happening in the digital music fronteir. nowadays, you dont evne really need to know music to create it.

this guy acreil , i dont think he considers himself much of a musicians... he creates these ideas based upon new theories and math. check it out! algorithms!

nepalnt21

Post by nepalnt21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 am

this guy billy is a great musician, and he creates some of the most pharout psychedelic mess electronic music that exists... a lot of it algorithmic. i think this one is based on a fractal set from complex dynamic systems (chaos) math

JasonHerbalExt

Post by JasonHerbalExt » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:52 pm

I think you'd better try guitar first rather than piano. It 's much more easier.
Hi, I am fond of doing researches on *link removed pending review* and related drugs. I am happy to discuss with you from scientific groups and would like to share my topics and views on medical herbs.

TSV

Post by TSV » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 am

I wouldn't say it's easier. Any instrument requires patience to master. Select one, and go from there. One step at a time.