Indoor Salvia Growing,

jse

Indoor Salvia Growing, -

Post by jse » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Hey guys i was wondering how tall your salvias grow indoors?

I have three growing here one at about 3ft tall and the other two almost reaching 4ft, i never expected hight like this from indoor growing under two 60watt incandesent lightbulbs. The two plants that are reaching 4ft havent been topped i think i will have to do that in the spring and take some cuttings to make them bush out and control the height What do you think?

Also i have another problem with my salvias i have become so attached to the plants that i dont want to eat them Image

sunsnail

Re: Indoor Salvia Growing, -

Post by sunsnail » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Haha nice plants! I would say it doesnt matter if you top them now or in spring. They are quite elongated though, perhaps you should give them a bit more light if possible.

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 pm

those are small pots for some big plants. why dont you just take a bunch of cuttings? that way you have even more plants.

and remember, you put love into them so they can put it back into you. i would have to say, that using them in such a manner is a great sign of respect to the plant. use it as it was meant to be used. you dont get medicine just to look at it and watch it grow, you use it!

robinhoody

Post by robinhoody » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:34 am

I've never grown salvia (yet), so take this with much salt, but given that you said you were growing under incandescents, I don't think it would be too far-fetched to assume that some of your vertical growth might be attributable to stretching for light.

From my experience with other plants, incandescents generally don't provide the right spectrum of light, which can sometimes result in stretching.

Again though, since I haven't yet grown salvia, there's no way for me to say whether or not your plants are stretched.

Either way, I'm sure your ally wouldn't mind you taking a nibble. I think crazydewman summed it up the best above me :)

nephinoruM

Post by nephinoruM » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:47 am

yep... as said already... . you need to be giving these plants full spectrum lighting....

what is happening is sally thinks its in a forest and its trying to get above to ground plants so its can get to the light first... so its putting all of its energy into stock development.... by providing more useful light for the plant it will shift its energy into leaf development :)

Get a 48" 2 tube fluorescent fixture that has a decent reflector (more efficient)... then buy two plant/aquarium bulbs... total cost can be done for $30 easy

jse

Post by jse » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:50 am

Hey guys,

thx for all the advice, im going to take some cuttings today and get some better lighting tomorrow.

it has been a while since i took cuttings so could someone refresh my memory, how many nodes do i need per cutting? i know when i take MJ cuttings they need at least 4 nodes

once again thx for all the advice so far guys :) i appreciate it all

hcrider

Post by hcrider » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 am

3 nodes.

nephinoruM

Post by nephinoruM » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 am

jse wrote:Hey guys,

thx for all the advice, im going to take some cuttings today and get some better lighting tomorrow.

it has been a while since i took cuttings so could someone refresh my memory, how many nodes do i need per cutting? i know when i take MJ cuttings they need at least 4 nodes

once again thx for all the advice so far guys :) i appreciate it all
http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10590

jse

Post by jse » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:42 pm

Thats a great guide nephinoruM, i will try that soil method next time i take cuttings, i just didnt have access to all the equipment i needed so i went for the water cloning method i have taken some picturs for you guys so you can see how it went

Here are my Plants after taking cuttings

Here are my cuttings

and after removing the big leaves from the cuttings i took i have plenty for a fresh leaf quid tonight which is great because i havent visited salvia space for about 6months

once again guys thanks for all the info you have given me

:D

crazydewman

Post by crazydewman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm

3?! i've rooted one node cuttings with only two leaves (mid section).