Sally cuttings--from LEAVES!

KTB

Re: Sally cuttings--from LEAVES! -

Post by KTB » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:35 am

Has anyone noticed the striking similarities between salvia and coleus? They thrive in the same conditions and the stems seem to be similar...moreover, they produce similar chemicals... has anyone attempted to graft salvia onto a coleus plant?

Also, regarding the rooting of leaves, once the leaves grow roots, could one cut the leaf at the stem and apply shooting hormones to provoke new shoots?

salviaeffects

Post by salviaeffects » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:18 am

who knows, I am happy you bumped this very old thread though, great info in here.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:28 am

You can of course root leaves.. The problem is that there is no node for new growth, so it will never develop new leafs.

salviaeffects

Post by salviaeffects » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:30 am

no way in cutting the leaf and using the pinching method there?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 am

salviaeffects wrote:no way in cutting the leaf and using the pinching method there?
Nope.. There must be atleast one intact node for this to work. The stem of the leaf has none, unless you have some freaky salvia :)

jse

Post by jse » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:10 pm

has anyone tried or what are your oppinions tommy of partially cutting into a node so you have a leaf plus a small ammount of the node my guess is it would just die but it was mentioned earlier in this thread and im not sure if anyone has tried it

sunsnail

Post by sunsnail » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:46 pm

I suppose its possible. You can grow entire plants from a single cell from a leaf in a lab environment.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:15 pm

jse wrote:has anyone tried or what are your oppinions tommy of partially cutting into a node so you have a leaf plus a small ammount of the node my guess is it would just die but it was mentioned earlier in this thread and im not sure if anyone has tried it
I have absolutely no clue about that.. Only one way to find out i guess ;)

Moose

Post by Moose » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 pm

what if you kept the leaf alive as long as possible, and giving it root growth hormones, making it so it has a huge root system, and then that would cause from were the roots were coming from to get bigger and buldgeryier this would allow or at least make it easier for other sprouts to pop up from were the roots are coming from, i believe most salvia and especial mints can grow shoots from their root system
although this may not be what salvia divinorum usually does i think you can force it to give shoots,
after the plant has a large enough root system you could try to wash out the rooting hormones and give it hormones to produce shoots
or maybe just give it shoot and root growing hormones in the beggining

i think this would work, and probably not just the leaf but i get the feeling if you were really good you could make a culture with plenty of hormones, nutrients, and fuel you could grow slavia divinorum plants from a tiny little piece

jeez.. did i already say something similar to this in a different thread? i have talked to it about someone but now im questioning if i put it on here.. haha well sorry if i did a repetitive post or whatever

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:42 am

Probably could......but no real need. Plants put out 20 doublenodes every 6 months, given optimum conditions...each one of those nodes can then put out..20 x2 nodes etc etc. More plants than you can deal with.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: