Lets talk bugs

jerbin

Lets talk bugs

Post by jerbin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:05 pm

In my past life neem spray/ horticultural soap worked like a charm against most pests. It may need to be made on the weak side, plants have been burned in the past. Other than neem whats in swims bug defense arsenal?

Past selves have also had some luck with garlic, although stinky....

Raa

Re: Lets talk bugs

Post by Raa » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 am

Well you don't get what you don't give. It doesn't work in nature that way I guess :)

You have to feed the bugs with another plant in order to protect your plant maybe ?

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 pm

I always wondered which essential oils could be used as natural insecticides. Seems like the little buggies wouldn't be able to handle things like peppermint oil, tea tree, peppers, clove, etc... Don't know if the plants could handle 'em either tho.

I would love to know if someone has already done the testing (dont really want to run a bunch of tests if the work's already been done)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein

teeko

Post by teeko » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:39 pm

What bugs?
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

jerbin

Post by jerbin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 pm

spider mites.

teeko

Post by teeko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

I hate those things.

If its real bad, I will make some 4 parts chamomile & 1 parts lemon grass tea, let it cool, strain into spray bottle, dilute with distilled water, add a small strip of copper-clad, few drops of neem oil then shake'r up and spray away.

Recently took some mapacho and lit it on top of a brick at the base of a plant, then covered the whole thing with burlap. Fuckers died, plant lived.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

BiffCo1138

Post by BiffCo1138 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Teeko

The mapacho idea is genius!!! I cant wait to try that and all sorts of variations of that on different pests!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -Robert A. Heinlein