Greetings & Help with Plant

Poimandres

Post by Poimandres » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Everyone,

I joined this forum hoping that I could get some help with my Salvia plant.

I’ve had her for a little over a month now, but she’s been developing lots of brown/discolored spots around the leaf edges. A few of the older leaves (those with the cutting when it arrived) have fallen off. She is growing and sprouting new leaves, but nonetheless she does not look healthy.

A few things about the plant

- I bought a rooted cutting from an online retailer in early October
- Transplanted the cutting to larger pot
- 1-2” drainage layer of gravel, Organic potting soil mixed with very little charcoal and some worm castings
- Kept indoors below a north-east facing window (gets little to no direct light, but plenty of ambient light).
- Watering whenever the soil looks/feels dry.

Close-up of one of the leaves with heavy browning

Comparison of older leaf with browning edges and new growth

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

unsigned_char72

Re: Greetings & Help with Plant

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm

as long as there are new healthy leaves (as I see from the 2nd picture) it should be ok. Old leaves are probably accustomed to a different environment so that's why they are suffering. So look for new leaves and for the apical tip... do they look healthy? If you want, post other pictures so we can give a better judgement (both closeups and entire plant).

A common mistake is to water too much and to care too much (move it, inspect it, etc). But don't make the opposite mistake of not watering it. If you see leaves are wilting water immediately. You can also spray water on the leaves occasionally if you suspect it's too dry.

A cutting like your might take 6 months or more to provide you a plant to harvest or clone, so don't rush.

Growing indoor is not ideal BTW, air could bee too dry or temperature too high, but of course that depends on where you live. If there's snow outside of course you have to grow indoor. Generally speaking Salvia likes temperatures in the range 20-25°C (68-77°F), humid air and in partial shade.

(1.1.2.3.5...)^inf

Post by (1.1.2.3.5...)^inf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi Poimandres,
She's looking fine to me from the few photos you sent. As unsigned_char says more photos would help.

Ive welcomed salvia into my home for 8yrs now but never really try to harvest more than 100 leaves a year. She lives on my daughters north east facing window looking out at the back garden. Our house is usually 16 to 18C and I see she does better when we have the heating up and also in the summer months. I think of her as a protector and guardian so my daughters window seems appropriate.

I always keep at least two plants in case something goes wrong, or if a chance to propagate to a new home arises. Id say take a cutting as soon as you think she's getting too tall for you or prone to falling over. Her natural method of propogation is to grow tall and fall over, rooting from wherever the stem nodes touch the ground. I dont think this is so helpful on a windowsill. If the pot is spacious, the temperature between 20 and 24c and theres lots of sunlight then she grows very fast and puts on >1m of growth in a month. During the winter Im happy to just keep a few cuttings going with very little growth at about 30 to 50cm height, watering no more than once a week. I think a single salvia plant seems more robust with the apical tip cut once there are several nodes on the stem because then side stems will grow, and then you can take even more cuttings.

She does cope with quite of lot of light (for a UK climate anyway). If anything, Id say looking at the node spacing and stem width Id guess yours could take a bit more sun.

Poimandres

Post by Poimandres » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Thank you both very much for the replies!

I'm in no rush to harvest her, for the time being I am interested in having her grow healthy and nurturing her spirit :)

I am also hesitant to take any cuttings for propagation right now since I feel that she may still be recovering from the stress of being shipped in the last month.

Current temperature in the room is between 70-75º F. She was a bit "leggy" when I received her. Lately she has been filling in at the lower nodes a bit more. In fact, some of the best growth is near the bottom. The humidity is on the lower end (25-35 %RH).

Here are a few more pics.

Full Plant

A "Problem" Area with browning and curling leaf

Upper-most New Growth

"Best" cluster of leaves, near the bottom of the largest stalk

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:56 pm

From the pics I see it's a rather weak and stressed plant, but the new growth seems healthy. Bottom part is hardened so at a certain point you'll have to replace this plant with a new one. Salvia does not grow easily from lower branches, which is a problem when the lower part supporting the plant gets woody.

About taking cuttings: it's certainly too early. In case, remember that you can always use the "layering" method if you are reluctant to cut the plant. Search this forum for "layering" (for example this post).

Poimandres

Post by Poimandres » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm

Thank you for your insight.

The plant has 3 main shoots coming from the soil, only one is hardened (i.e wood-like). I'll definitely look into the "layering" method. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, it seems to be the way S. divinorum replicates in the wild.

Do you recommend that I just let the plant drop the browning leaves when she no longer has any use for them, or should I prune them now?

I'll keep posting updates here and really appreciate your help.

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Don't prune, leave them on, she knows what to do. And look for new leaves if they get brown in their tips, usually it's the first sign something is going wrong.

Poimandres

Post by Poimandres » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Just popping back in to say that she is doing much better now. I've added a stake to keep the plant growing upright.

I'm not quite sure as to when I should consider pinching off the growth tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Nice to see it's recovering! Leaves still look more yellow than it should be, but that's just because it's a very stressed plant (or maybe is the picture's exposure).

Pinching is not useful in this case. The lower part of the plant is too woody and weak, don't expect new growth from there. Good growth can come only from the higher part of the plant, the one that you see to be more healthy. If I was you, I would use one of the leaning branches for the layering method I was talking before. Thus I would get a fresh new plant with a strong root system, without taking any risk.

Poimandres

Post by Poimandres » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 pm

After a while she started developing brown leaves again. So I decided to give this plant exactly what she needed. I set up a grow tent to regulate humidity, light and temperature. After a few weeks, I think the results are pretty impressive.

Tons of new growth.

Even at the very base of the stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk