Finding rare SD strains in the UK

kedabra

Finding rare SD strains in the UK -

Post by kedabra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:01 pm

I've been cultivating what I think is a Wasson-Hoffman strain. I'm interested to get hold of other strains, particularly morphologically distinct ones like Luna or Paradox.

Does anyone know of a supplier or can anyone help me out in the UK?

Why are there so few strains available? Is it so hard to find in the wild?

teeko

Re: Finding rare SD strains in the UK -

Post by teeko » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:33 pm

This would probably be better in the vendor forum.

I was under the impression that Sally is not to be found growing 'wild' much anywhere and that the local 'peoples' in Oaxaca have been making cuttings for 'who knows' how long and that is the only way its known for regular propagation. I have seen some pics of flowers and heard about Sieberts seeds, but I am not sure what came of any of that. I have never heard of Salvia divinorum seeds for sale.

Also, have you tried botanicalswap? Or are you planty? This was also just posted over there. :)
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

kedabra

Post by kedabra » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 pm

No, I'm not planty! But thanks for the directions. The Mazatec clone it too - so it is a true cultigen?

teeko

Post by teeko » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:17 pm

I would email erocx1, he would probably know.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:36 pm

teeko wrote:This would probably be better in the vendor forum.

I was under the impression that Sally is not to be found growing 'wild' much anywhere and that the local 'peoples' in Oaxaca have been making cuttings for 'who knows' how long and that is the only way its known for regular propagation. I have seen some pics of flowers and heard about Sieberts seeds, but I am not sure what came of any of that. I have never heard of Salvia divinorum seeds for sale.

Also, have you tried botanicalswap? Or are you planty? This was also just

posted over there. :)
Plants spread on their own in Juatla de Jimenez, mostly by falling over and re-rooting itself.....guy named Slava from the Yahoo groups wandered around down there a few years back and found random patches in creeks....pretty beat up and scraggly.

I've been growing flowers since 03......but have only had seeds two seasons...unknown reasons for failure. I have sent my seeds to Siebert for germination and naming, as otherwise, anybody can just call a cutting some new strain....plants can look completely different from birth to maturity anyways, so take care with any claims outside of Siebert.

Hummingbirds pollinated my plants one year( we got pics the day Siebert came up to visit from Mailbu) and he got the Jupiter strain going 2 years ago, no available to public though. Vigorous and robust, much like all the other strains... as far as I can tell.:roll:

Luna came up in Hawaii as a "sport" (base of plant) and its more like a diploid version, fat leaves, stoutflowers.... etc....i have been trying to grow more of those, and not so much of the Hoffmans, which get out of hand and have actually fallen over and smothered some other strains that Sea Mac (Sand Diego pollinator) grew....sort of a bummer....the new strains are just slower sometimes...I dunno. They grow like weeds in the right conditions, cool bright and foggy, like here.....10ft of just chaos and crossed stems and everything all mashed up in once big mess haha:roll:

Kedabra, send me a PM if you dont have any luck elsewhere

heres a good overview of why its difficult for the plant to make viable seed.

http://www.sagewisdom.org/reisfield.html

kedabra

Post by kedabra » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Jupe. I'm in the UK though, guessing it would be hard to send a live plant over....

I did get a flower in the UK last autumn, it died pretty quickly though. My garden is too sunny ad exposed for Salvia, in summer it just curls up into a calloused mess of yellowed leaves - it only grows properly later in the year, and then it gets killed by the frost...