New to it all. Advice wanted!

Nest1991

New to it all. Advice wanted! -

Post by Nest1991 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Husky recently bought some salvia plants from a local maijers (big name store in michigan) and hes been doing alot of research about it and the extraction process. Husky understands most of the process but he still has some questions on that and on the actual plant. He decided to do research before trying anything with salvia. (good survival guide btw) anyways his question is what is the difference between red flowering salvia and other colors? The ones husky planted are red and he was wondering what kind of care should be given to the plant when growing it. They are very small but already have a red flower growing from it. It doesnt look like any of the plants in the threads. Pictures will be posted so you can all see. Also the leaves are somewhat heart shaped and kinda short not long. ANY advice on growing this plant is welcomed even if it has nothing to do with the questions.

Nest1991

Re: New to it all. Advice wanted! -

Post by Nest1991 » Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Sat May 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Hello and welcome aboard. Bad news : that may be a Salvia plant, but not a Salvia Divornum. I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find a S. Divornum plant for sale at a "chain" store.
A couple of other Salvia's are somewhat active, and yours could be one of those, IDK.

S. Divornum is easily ID'ed as it is the only plant known to have a square stem -- Capt. Ed.

Nest1991

Post by Nest1991 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Captu4ik wrote:Hello and welcome aboard. Bad news : that may be a Salvia plant, but not a Salvia Divornum. I could be wrong, but I don't think you will find a S. Divornum plant for sale at a "chain" store.
A couple of other Salvia's are somewhat active, and yours could be one of those, IDK.

S. Divornum is easily ID'ed as it is the only plant known to have a square stem -- Capt. Ed.
It scared me while i was reading this since i didnt know that the stem is squared haha but i grabbed the plant and felt the stem and it IS square. So does mean that my plant is a salvia divornum for sure and that its worth harvesting?

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Salvia Divornum is the only plant on God's green Earth that has a square stem Capt. Ed.

Nest1991

Post by Nest1991 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Thats a very vool fact and good knwledge to have. Thanks!

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sun May 29, 2011 12:05 am

..many of the salvias (mints) have square stems,...as do other species of plants...like the hydrangeas for instance......
square or not square is useless to ID..... salvia divinorum......just buy a plant from a good reputable source or swap site.

Image:roll:

Nest1991

Post by Nest1991 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:17 am

Im living with my parents now for college so i cant buy or order anything to my house. Is there any way to absolutely tell if this is salvia divinorum or not?

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Nest1991 wrote:Im living with my parents now for college so i cant buy or order anything to my house. Is there any way to absolutely tell if this is salvia divinorum or not?
Well, its not SD as its illegal in Michigan and your pic is of some other salvia anyways///// sorry... :roll: bioassay otherwise, is a good method. No other plant will bioassay the same way....8-)

Nest1991

Post by Nest1991 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 am

Whats bioassay? Its strange that you say its illegal because i have heard of a shop that sells extract down the road a bit.