growing sally in an open terrarium?

Tickytacky

growing sally in an open terrarium? -

Post by Tickytacky » Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I know I've seen that growing this plant in a closed terrarium would likely not work, but what about an open top terrarium? Terrariums don't necessarily have to be hermetic glass bubbles, you know?

I have a small plant, a new arrival really. The seller states that this plant has already been acclimated to the lower humidity of a standard house. It's already gone through it's initial shock-wilt-brown, and it bouncing back nicely. I'm in search of a less butt-ugly grow light to supplement my virtually non-existent lighting situation.

And coincidentally, I have a totally empty 20 gallon tall aquarium (24" x 12" x 16"), that I'd been thinking of converting into a terrarium. NOT a vivarium, only plants. I thought "Hey, if I can combine the two, that'd be simpler!"

So, I was thinking of maybe an open top, or a partially open top. In other words, absolutely nothing on the top of the tank except a clamp on light with proper lighting in it, or my actual old aquarium top with more holes poked in it and my old aquarium lighting (my old tank was planted).

.... would it work? Or should I just keep seeking a simple grow light for my desk planter?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I've been researching it, but I can't seem to figure this one out on my lonesome. Search is my friend. Yeah, I know. :oops:

dscid

Re: growing sally in an open terrarium? -

Post by dscid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Should be fine, as long as its acclimated. If you say it's bouncing back nicely from shipment, I'd go ahead with it. If the plant wilts, then I'd re-acclimate.

I've not had much trouble with mine.

teeko

Re: growing sally in an open terrarium? -

Post by teeko » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:59 am

Go for it. Should be fine. I have all kinds of things in glass terrariums. If you do decide to go vivarium, things seem to root extremely fast & strong in Fire Belly Toad poop. No joke.
thisisnotanimage

All lies contain truth.

All truths are circumstantial.