Induced Leaf Mutation

420_4life

Re: Induced Leaf Mutation -

Post by 420_4life » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:56 am

yea when I ever begin to see that type of white substance on the stocks of my plants it is generally time I make cutting from the tops of them and start a new, it will eventually spread and decay most of the stock.

when I've been faced with this dilemma I have used such anti fungal agents like no damp or benamyll powder in the soil for the batch of cuttings made from the infected plants, you can use it for a while after in the soil of the cuttings when you transplant and even in the next batch of cuttings, not sure how long I stopped afterwards but it generally happens when your not careful indoors, like not using new sterile soil or soil from around your yard, lots of things can cause it

Buddha2112

Post by Buddha2112 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:08 am

I figured it might be a mineral deposit of some sort, or some residue left from misting it, as i only use tap water, i tried filtered water and it seemed to not come back as much, I also took a swab of hydrogen peroxide and wiped one side, then rinsed it thoroughly with filtered water. Seems to not be as bad, but i did notice that some of the white areas are turning yellowish/maybe even reddish. I just received it last Thursday, so I'm boggled. Will post more pictures in the morning. The soil is your basic miracle grow potting soil. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fertilizer.

salviasofthead

Post by salviasofthead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 am

Note new "mildew?" thread continues at http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24845

ss

Buddha2112

Post by Buddha2112 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Not to hijack this thread anymore, something has rather interested me about stress testing in general. It seems salvia responds and grows better to LACK of care. This thread was keen on exposing the stressed responses, and if with enough people, we could probably discover some hardy traits that could bred to help survivability in the future... something I'm sure a few people would appreciate in the dire future of salvia. If the beagles plants (i realize i forgot to talk about the beagles plants a few times, it's still legal here so whatever) survive this mildew, he will definitely start stress testing these plants in many different ways. Things to really explore might be over-fertilizing (which seems to produce 6-sided stems sometimes), over-watering/misting we know what happens, over pruning which is what daivlas is exploring, over-lighting which there's a little knowledge. All of the controls should be thoroughly explored and documented on a series of plants, it sounds cruel as some plants will obviously die, but the beagle is interested on finding a perfect stress formula for optimal growth and potency.
Last edited by Buddha2112 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missed a word... that bothers me.

daivlas

Post by daivlas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Once again, I am not "mutating my salvia". I am exploring the possibility that stress can induce mutations to be expressed at a higher rate. I understand that you do not believe this to be possible. Comments like "go do some learnin" and "im going to go shit out gold bricks" are mindless, do nothing to support your opinion intelligently and add nothing of value to this thread. If you know of any studies that show stress has no effect on the rates of mutations being expressed I would be very interested to see them and will "do some learnin". If not then your opinion is only an opinion and has no more or less credibility than mine or anyone elses. If you are interested in explaining why this method will not work then you must use more intelligent arguments for me or any one else to take you seriously.

skunkjar

Post by skunkjar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:09 pm

Jesus, CDM, I guess they told you! Almost all the salvia plants on the market are clones of the same couple varieties... I don't know about you, but I have never been able to grow salvia from seed, in fact, I've never seen salvia (divinorum) seed. I am sure it is possible to cause your plants to exhibit unusual growth characteristics, but the genetics are still going to be the same, AFAIK.

gibran

Post by gibran » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Rather than invest time and effort into stressing your plants, wouldn’t it make more sense to learn/discover what conditions yield optimal growth?

We all already know how to stress/kill salvia plants. :eek: Whether or not such stress results in genetic change I can’t say. But I think that “discoveries” related to improving yield, increasing salvinorin content, speeding growth, etc. are more valuable than stress experiments.

Just my two cents. Make sense?

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

no flowers, no genetic transfer.....its easy to stress plants...they run through a zillion responses to a zillion stresses...hard to isolate whats wrong though.....too many variables...

.make em happy, its easier.

they WANT to be 2-3 meters!!!!!

(and still a battle to get ONE seed!!!)

salviasofthead

Post by salviasofthead » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:24 pm

You got a treehouse in that thing somewhere?

ss

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 pm

getting out of the understory is a real pain though....Image