Will Salvia Survive Groundfrost

jse

Will Salvia Survive Groundfrost -

Post by jse » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Hey guys

I took many cuttings a few weeks, ago 8 of them i put in pots and they are indoors under flurescents and are doing great, i decided with the last 3 cuttings to try them outsite so i planted them in my garden last week, i figured seen as spring had started and we have had good weather the past couple of weeks they would be fine but apparentley theres going to be a widespread groundfrost tonight and im not sure if they will survive it.

if anyone knows it would be helpfull and any ideas or sugestions

peace

jse

crazydewman

Re: Will Salvia Survive Groundfrost -

Post by crazydewman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:49 pm

dig 'em up quick. i know they can take some cold, but im pretty sure you'll lose some in a freeze.

sunsnail

Post by sunsnail » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:54 pm

In my experience, extremely well established plants die down to the ground and about 75% will regrow. You will lose 25%. These aren't even established so, in other words, dig them up.

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:04 am

or, at least, build a mini greenhouse or tunnel over them

amazedone

Post by amazedone » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:17 pm

You can cut the bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and place the "dome" over smaller plants, Leave the cap off. Maybe have some mulch built up around the base of the plant. You will be upset if your plants freeze. !ALWAYS! keep a few cuttings indoors in a window with indirect lighting. If they do or did freeze watch for signs of life the plant may re-grow, about 50% for me. Central California got a few good days of cold this past winter.
Good luck, keepthose plants going!

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 pm

and/ or cover the bottles with blankets and use low wattage light as tne heater....I lost tops this winter, but no roots.....

amazedone..where in central cal are you?

jse

Post by jse » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:03 am

hey guys thanks for the advice, i already had soda bottles as a humidity dome over each cuting and it turned out the weather forcast was wrong :D so all is good

peace jse

amazedone

Post by amazedone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:07 pm

jupe wrote:and/ or cover the bottles with blankets and use low wattage light as tne heater....I lost tops this winter, but no roots.....

amazedone..where in central cal are you?
Tracy, Ca.