Salvia flowers 2011

Jupe

Re: Salvia flowers 2011

Post by Jupe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I didn't think it was possible either. Carl(Seamac) inspired me. Hes in San Diego and lost hosting for site, but I will get new address.
Its a bit time consuming, hand pollinaitng that is, but seems to help.

What REALLY kicks ass is BUGS and BIRDS...hummingbirds in particular......they worked my garden over in half the time it took me to do ONE stalk. Siebert came over and showed me how the insect or bird beak triggers the pollen lever to drop the pollen as whatever is dragged past it!!! ....then they take it to next flower.
Siebert and myself saw my first humming bird pollinating that day,)only day I ever met him and he came over from Malibu) the pic is posted on Carls site.....We started hanging hummingbird feeders everywhere, to get them to hang out.....feisty territorial little guys, if they like it they stay.

Anyways, you ca't tell if you are doing anything right until the white part of the flower falls off, the little blue tubes remaining (excuse my butchering of botany terms, I'm in a hurry)..... if they posses seeds, they swell and stay on........I end up just letting them go, until say, I know a bad storm is coming, in December or so...or when there are no new flowers, then I cut the whole racemes down carefully and put them in a bag to finish, and then dry, and then try and sort out the seeds from the duff. The seeds are practically impossible to find, so until you scour your flowers, DONT assume you didn't get any!!!!
My first flowers, from the 2 year old 13 footer, I thought the seeds would be like the "other" seeds, and since I couldnt see any, I just tossed all the flowers out......DUH mY BAD :oops: :oops: .., in fact, most years, I get nothing whatsover. or they are not viable...little shriveled up things........then the one year I got 28....bad packaging on my part when I mailed them to Siebert killed 13....he got one to sprout from what was left... thats the Jupiter strain, which is a pretty strong plant....normal in all respects.....

I'll come back to add the Sage Seeds address. i gotta go find it. :mrgreen:

http://seamac.info/sageseeds/index.shtml sageseeds gets you to his other growing tutorials as well......

wow!!! check out the humminbird picture he posted of my patch....damn....thats cool!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:39 am

Wow nice story, it makes me want to try to get seeds this season.

Jupe, you are a skilled grower with unique experience in Salvia seeds, have you ever thought about trying to cross pollinate S. Divinorum with other salvias? I think you are one of the very few that can attempt a such experiment.

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 am

thanx for the props Mr 72....I'm too lazy though, seed work is such a pain, (I can hardly reach the plants without busting a bunch of them, ornery tangled stems they are.....Siebert wanted to get pollen from me, for just your ideas, hes been working on it for awhile. he moved to SB, couple a miles from me....(I mean, that seems planned by Our Lady the Shepardess (If I had a little more faith I suppose) but since then hes been off the radar raising a kid etc......not even sure if he will ever finish his book either....)

I really love the pineapple sage though, and might have to think about your suggestion. I asked A.Reisfield about keeping the pollen in the freezer till needed, (he actuallly emailed me back!!!) and he said he thought it might be stable for a few years, although the literature suggests that the pollen even when fresh may have problems.

I have about 6 or 8 Lunas flowering together this year, and I'm hoping they might work together.......never had much luch with them though.

Khnum93

Post by Khnum93 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice pics. I have a plant that was doing well getting morning sun but soon started loosing all its leaves. I repotted it in a hugh pot and placed it outside sometime this year. it took off big time. The last week of November it flowered and doing well even though it has dipped into the low 40's lately at night. I cover it in the evening and it is protected somewhat being in a corner between the house and a fence. The roof hangs over too. I live in Silicon Valley.

93 / 93

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Thread update:

in the past weeks I've been collecting flowers from my Salvia plants. Each morning, before going to work, I looked for flowers fallen on the ground, usually finding 3-5 of them. This is the result after drying. The plants still have other flowers attached, but they do not look in good shape due to bad weather (cold, wind, ...).

I'm going to have a bio-assay, just to tell by myself if they are active or not.

i-jinx

Post by i-jinx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Pics from midwinter. Took me all this time to find the usb cable for my camera. Thanks to eid for uploading.

Last edited by i-jinx on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jupe

Post by Jupe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 am

watch for the purple bases of the flowers which may/may not stay on the stem, that is where the seed forms, they swell a bit and do not fall off at touch. I am about halfway through the cycle, but not sure whats going on.....too many lifestyle crisis....work, family etc....see yall later..

salvialover24

Post by salvialover24 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 am

First time I see so much dried flowers. Please let us know if they got salvinorin, i.e. if such material is potent. Swim's plant gave just one tiny flower which was not even recognizable as such once dried. He probably smoked it without knowing!
Did someone got seeds? Did someone here ever succeed in getting a new plant from home made seeds? I am curious.

unsigned_char72

Post by unsigned_char72 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 am

salvialover24 wrote:Please let us know if they got salvinorin, i.e. if such material is potent. Swim's plant gave just one tiny flower which was not even recognizable as such once dried. He probably smoked it without knowing!
Did someone got seeds? Did someone here ever succeed in getting a new plant from home made seeds? I am curious.
as reported in this post, it seems they are not active. Not a big issue, there is no need for another salvinorin source, leaf is more than enough. (My actual stock, consisting in one small jar of dried leaves, will last years when consumed in a vaporizer).

As for seeds, the plants produced none, don't know why, perhaps due to lack of pollinators. And yes, there are plants raised from seeds; I know Jupe sent some seeds to Siebert who succeed raising a new strain called "Jupiter".

salvialover24

Post by salvialover24 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 pm

Nice! I got one (only) flower, but which did not develop. The winter is terrible. My plants fight against each other for light. Only those close to the windows makes new leaves. Two plants died, except that they gave cuticles which seems to behave well. But the harvest from this summer gave me lot of dried leaves.
Bravo to Jupe and Siebert, long live to Jupiter!