Skinny Bridgesii

GK77

Skinny Bridgesii -

Post by GK77 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Llama says he is new to cactus. Loves the ease at first and respects the difficulty as they grow.
So my Llama's brigdesii grew all skiny and curvy, then broke. Can't get it more sunlight ATM. Thoughts?

Secondly, is fertilizer a main concern during spring and summer?
Type: high K, low N vs. an even mix, like 5-5-5.
OR, is it even necessary? I see conflicting recommendations here.

It happens to be growing with San Pedro's, which I hear is not traditionally wise. Great.
Llama appreciates it.

Always learning.
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0

lurkmode 2.0

Re: Skinny Bridgesii -

Post by lurkmode 2.0 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:46 pm

skinny and curvy - sounds like to me it's just not getting enough light.

ferts - I've given my cacti a splash of very weak fertilizer once this year and mine are doing great. fwiw, well established plants do very well in the wild w/o artificial fertilizers so obviously they're not necessary. I'm sure very small amounts of ferts from time to time can only make things better.

re: growing them near pedros ... are you afraid to cross pollinate? I wish mine would flower! I did have a pup spring up at the bottom of one of my brigdesii's. woot

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, skinny is a light problem. IME, girth doesn't effect potency, you just need a longer section.
I will assume your cacti are potted (not rooted in the ground). I always changed the soil every two years in leui of fertilizing. The biggest problem ferts can cause is low, or acidic, soil pH. Adding dolomitic lime to the soil will overcome this, however. One cop of dc for every gallon of soil is sufficient. Acidic pH will prevent the plant from using most nutes in the soil.
Hope this helps -- Capt. Ed.

GK77

Post by GK77 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:15 am

Yeah I assumed it was light, but wasn't sure if anything else could cause that. They're are stuck on a porch for now ;(

I do remember hearing someone talk about dolomitic lime before, maybe it was you Capt... good call.
I guess the soil needs changing, it's been a few years or so. I'll be sure to toss some dolomitic lime in as a buffer too.

Great advise. Thanks.
"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
-AE

http://forums.botanicalswap.org/index.php?topic=1808.0