Frank Blank

Datura in the Peruvian Torch -

Post by Frank Blank » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Strange bedfellows

Captu4ik

Re: Datura in the Peruvian Torch -

Post by Captu4ik » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Looks good.

I planted my datura too early (january), it germed, set two pair of leaves and then flowered. Must have been the short photoperiod. It actually set a spiky fruit, now it's forming new growth like crazy ...

Datura must be self-pollinating ...

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:07 am

crazydewman wrote:some do that
they get to reproduction asap
its the way they grow, flower asap, and keep flowering
at least i see it commonly with strammoniums for sure
Cool !

I thought it was acting like edit does when planted during the short days ...

Frank Blank

Post by Frank Blank » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 am

Well I didn't plant em there, I've given up planting Datura it grows where it chooses, this is either Stramonium or Wrightii. Seems that the small stones, gravel in the cactus pots is ideal for germinating seeds, had this also with sinicuichi. ID ing the Datura is real easy, just gently rub the leaf and smell your fingersImage
Last edited by Frank Blank on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetripscaptain

Post by thetripscaptain » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 am

Datura kind of reminds me of a giant petunia as it doesn't attain much mass during the veg. stage but rather starts flowering quick and just explodes with growth during the long and continuous flowering period. The flowers open in late afternoon/early evening and shrivel up as soon as any direct sunlight hits them the following day, then a new set of flowers opens a few hours later. Each flower then drops off and the calyx remains attatched and then the flower stem bends downward to hide the seed pod under the leaf canopy. If healthy, each flower will result in a seed pod so there will be no shortage of seeds to harvest.

Some people say this plant is full of evil spirits but I disagree... I prefer to think of them as being strong and powerful but if you show them respect by putting the plant in a good location and treating it well, they can be your allies. I have a large red clay pot sitting up against the house right at the point where the garage, driveway, and front porch meet. It's a very visible spot, everyone who comes in the house walks within a couple feet of it. I feel like it stands guard and protects the house and property from negative energy and whatnot.

This plant is a study in contrasts as well. This is reflected even in the common names of the plant, being called both Angel's Trumpet and Devil's Trumpet. The foliage smells terrible and yet the flowers have one of the strongest and best smelling fragrances of any flowers I have ever grown.

Sitting outside in the evening, watching the flowers open, and catching the scent of their perfume on the wind is in itself an entheogenic experience. I have never swallowed the stuff, nor really ever felt the need to do so.

Some growing tips... this plant grows like tobacco in a sense that it needs quite a bit of nutrients. If it doesn't have enough nutrients it will just stop growing, and if the problem is not remedied quickly it will actually start dropping all its seed pods and flower buds. Give it a heavy feeding once a week. Keep it in the fullest of full sun.

:peace: trips
Attachments
att4139-securedownload.jpg
att4139-securedownload.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 3147 times

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Exodus Insanus Nocturnus

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 am

Thanks for the info, Trips.

mutant

Post by mutant » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:37 am

I thought it was acting like edit does when planted during the short days ...
that's what I thought too.. and I actually believe it mighyt be indeed because of early sowing...

good idea on the sinicuichi for the next time I get some seed. I didn't have any success in simple sowing...

Nice post too trips. Fragrance is surely psychoactive, especially true for my yellow X insignis brug especially while on edit late at afternoon and at night...

I never felt the urge to eat any part of tropane plants, but smoking the leaf is a pretty mild experience, smoking the leaf of henbane tastes great too!

Captu4ik

Post by Captu4ik » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

mutant wrote:Nice post too trips. Fragrance is surely psychoactive,I never felt the urge to eat any part of tropane plants, but smoking the leaf is a pretty mild experience, smoking the leaf of henbane tastes great too!
Sounds like something new for SWIM to do ...

thetripscaptain

Post by thetripscaptain » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 pm

One thing that I have been reading about lately regarding some of these nightshade plants such as Henbane and Datura is some of the old world Flying Ointments. I recently bought Lewellyn's 2010 Herbal Almanac and towards the end there is an article on such preparations. The articles in this book appear to be written by random people whose credentials and experience are uncertain, and as such I'm not so sure I would try them without first doing a fair amount of additional research, but I was intrigued nonetheless, and if I were ever to consume any of these strong nightshade plants, I would probably use the topical method. I have just heard too many terrible reports following oral consumption of these plants to really consider doing it myself. The only exception to this rule is Henbane beer, which from what I've read can be an enjoyable experience if done responsibly and used with extreme caution and in extreme moderation... other than that I have just been growing these plants for their beauty, energy, and friendship.
Exodus Insanus Nocturnus

merlin 21
Location: California and up in my head, not necessarily in that order

Post by merlin 21 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:14 am

I've read about people transporting Brugs or Datura in vehicles (such as to a flower show) becoming "dizzy" from their fragrance. I've certainly noticed a very strong and delightful aroma coming from my Brugmensias at twilight and admit to burying my nose in a blossom or two.I think I experience a slight change in consciousness from that but I don't care; it just smells wonderful.

For some reason I never see Datura used ornamentally in Calif. (except in my yard!) and only rarely see Brugmensia used in landscaping either. My impression from the garden websites is that they are much more commonly planted in other places. Our loss out here as they are stunning plants.