Relationship between pupping and rooting out cuttings

Frank Blank

Relationship between pupping and rooting out cuttings -

Post by Frank Blank » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:45 pm

What is the relationship between pupping and rooting out cuttings in San Pedro type cacti?

celphaware

Re: Relationship between pupping and rooting out cuttings -

Post by celphaware » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 am

Frank, in all of the cuttings I have rooted out the only one to pup was a 2 ft.+ specimen. All of the 12" and under just grew out, no pups. This is only my second year cultivating these so about a dozen plants or so...

So size to me has been the factor. Possibly a shorter cacti would need to expend more energy on it's own growth, whereas a longer, more established plant could spread it around so to speak.

How about flowering and pupping? Have you seen that at the same time (on the same plant)? I've never had one flower so am curious.

Good question btw. Peace

Maslow

Post by Maslow » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 am

I too am interested in getting a pedro who had an accident in a recent move to pup as well.

The tip part of him is thriving well in a pot and has established roots already. But the base (with a decent root structure) has been dormant over the winter and I am hoping he will develop pups.

One person in another forum on another board suggest that limiting the amount of light will encourage pupping as the lack of light will cause the cactus to seek the light by pupping out.

Another person stated that having enough room in a pot to prevent root restriction (or letting the roots further develop) will also help.

So tonight, I moved the stump of Teacher Pedro to a larger pot and then put it on the porch on the north side of my house (it was on the south).

I also put some compost in the potting soil mix (per your advice Frank)...and an earthworm....hope this does not kill the worm....I also give this plant loving happy positive vibes as I do sincerely care about this plant. It is special to me.

I will see if this helps and report back.

If anyone has any wisdom to share on this...please advise.
Last edited by Maslow on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davidartist1234

Post by Davidartist1234 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 am

Compost is bad! Too much available Nitrogen for those poor cactus (burn baby!). Base/top pupping is random to the plant's growing conditions and genetic factors.
I've got several Pedros which wont pup at several feet. And other 'Non Backberg' varieties which pup profusely when cut down to half a foot above the soil line. From what I've seen genetics have a strong component. Several monstrose and crest specimens tend to have those traits. Quite variable tendencies.
Last edited by Davidartist1234 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Blank

Post by Frank Blank » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 am

If you want pups, cut pedro's head off.

If you want roots, plant the cut in soil.

If you want a rooted top cut to produce basal pups, be prepared to wait a few years or more.
This has not been my experience.
I'll get basal pups on an untopped cutting before full root development or so it seems......Heat and intense sun also are probably factors I have using my southern exposed rooftops in the urban NE.
As far a burning, the only burn I get on the cacti is sunburn from the initial exposure to the intensity of the sun after spending the winter indoors. Also of note is that cactus with newly or not fully developed roots are more susceptible to damage from the sun and low temps despite cutting size/.

Frank Blank

Post by Frank Blank » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Works for me Crazy, I ain't topping em just sticking 'tops' in the mulch on a hot well exposed roof and bingo, puppies!
By the way, Dew, overwintered some of those crazy Greek Mulleins I planted last year after I saw those pics you put up here (plants) Can't wait for the fireworks on the candles....
Last edited by Frank Blank on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowfodder
Site Admin

Post by cowfodder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 pm

6 BAP

Plant auxin. Put it on node. Pups grow.
http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=15108
"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

cowfodder
Site Admin

Post by cowfodder » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:52 am

What CDM said. Ed turned me on to this stuff a few years ago. I tried it on a pereskiopsis spp. one time, using small amount dissolved in water and something to make it actually mix (I don't remember, it's been a while), and I basically had a cactus bush in a few months time. Unfortunately that, and a bunch of other specimens, were left outside during a bad cold snap by a house sitter and died. CDM's methods of using lanolin to selectively apply to certain nodes does work too. Some people use them in orchid growing. Do a little searching and you can find a lot of info.
http://www.dreamhost.com/donate.cgi?id=15108
"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

Davidartist1234

Post by Davidartist1234 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Dangerous, but plants which often propogate growth near the base don't like to waste energy unless they are forced to do so. Pupping at the top means more nutrients and resources must migrate further up the stem the higher up the cut is made. This imposes further stress on an already stressed cactus. The closer to ground level the plant is, the generally more likely it is to multi-pup. Of coures this matters more for specimens which are rootbound and not mature. Its a defensive measure to ensure the plant has as much surface material available to ensure its survival. This is just hypothetical, but some of the observations I've seen suggest this makes the most likely odds of a plants progeny. Probably partially how suckering species developed. Notice many don't do so as they mature. Only when they are young and stressed do they force such characteristics.

Frank Blank

Post by Frank Blank » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 pm

There is fact and fiction David................you must have enough by now to publish a best seller.
Last edited by Frank Blank on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.